Brainstorming Companion Character Ideas

-snip- 

-snip-

Also can you people please please send me a portal to your alternate universe where fantasy fiction is dominated by awesome masculine women and the dainty elf lady trope is dead forever? Thanks.

Dear god, please do send us this portal. The dainty elf lady trope is the ****tiest, boringest, worstest trope in fantasy fiction. Let all women always be Brienne of Tarth or the like. It'd be refreshing as all hell. 

​Why would you want all women to be written like her. It's always better to run the gamut. Elves are slender in stature and hold to propriety, it's not like those traits all of a sudden reduce the women down to being helpless little tulips. I've never understood this inversion that feminine forbearance is something that is bad. I get there are grating extremes and all, but bad writing does not solve another type of bad writing.

Edited by injurai
  • Like 3

I used to hope they'd make a Wild Orlan companion, but the blue-and-green duel-wielder answered that prayer.

I also wouldn't mind a Pale Elf companion since I'm desperate to learn more about their culture, other than the vague text-based blurb of "They live in the White That Wends, rarely travel, rarely trade, and no one knows much about them."

I also wouldn't mind a Death or Nature godlike companion, since I would love to see the perspective of two of the most commonly reviled and killed godlike. (Nature godlike because the moss and plants growing out of their skin makes them look diseased to most villagers, and death godlike because... come on. They look straight out of Silent Hill.)

EDIT: I know Pallegina provides a general perspective of godlike (her infertility causing her to get all but disowned by her father because she can't give him an heir, the law of her land saying women who can't give birth aren't really women so she could join an all-male brotherhood, etc...), as well as the perspective of a godlike the Watcher can't play as... but still.

Edited by Faerunner

"Not I, though. Not I," said the hanging dwarf.

I strongly believe whatever race they are they'll be a Cipher. Ciphers are not only the most popular class, they're also the most unique to Pillars. Not to mention the fact that Grieving Mother had very little interaction with other characters in the plot (which was absolutely interesting, but it sort came at the cost of losing a lot of the potential from a Cipher). As for race I'm far less certain, hell I'm not even certain they'll be Kith. But I do think among the Kith races either being Elf or Godlike is most likely with a special note for the 6th character being Falanroed, as she has a huge potential for being an interesting character. 

Of course that means there would be no Dwarf companion but I personally believe that is most likely of any race being left out. 

Vithrak Cipher would be my choice for a unique race companion. They would have to be an outcast or sole survivor of thier hive, which would make them depressed and needy, but also seem unemotional - at least by human standards. They would find humans, and particularly human v human conflict, difficult to comprehend, and probably given to utterings which seem wise - if only we understood what they where talking about. See: "the truth is a three edged sword".

However, I agree that dwarf or pale elf chanter/cipher seem like the most likely choice for the unrevealed companion. I reckon the Orlan is a rogue. Swashbuckler subclass?

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!