Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What does the Deadfire team think about monk specific unarmed animations?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Mygaffer

Mygaffer

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I love the monk class, half the characters I rolled in Pillars of Eternity were monks.

One thing I always wished was in that first game was for an unarmed attack animation with a martial arts flair for the monk class. It's how I always image monks, ascetics who practice their moves over and over again until they are second nature to them. In Pillars they feel more like pub brawlers, just swinging both fists over and over.

Would other monk players like to see this? Is this a good thing to include in the stretch goals? What does the Deadfire team think?

Edited by Mygaffer, 27 January 2017 - 11:58 AM.

• Leferd, kirottu, Archaven and 4 others like this

Yonjuro

Yonjuro

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 866 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

One thing I always wished was in that first game was for an unarmed attack animation with a martial arts flair for the monk class.

Would other monk players like to see this? Is this a good thing to include in the stretch goals? What does the Deadfire team think?

Yes. I think it would be great to have it, if it isn't a ridiculous amount of work.

floredon

floredon

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

yes would be nice to see monks get more interesting combat animations. perhaps throw in various "schools" of forms with their own animations and abilltiies.

• Mygaffer likes this

desel

desel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 125 posts

One of the very few decent things about Tyranny are the unique animations for unarmed combat, including some really unexpected ones like a leg swipe or an actual uppercut like straight out of Streetfighter.

Don't see why those animations shouldn't make their way into POE II too.

I REALLY hope they also carry over the animation when a character is critically hit and explodes into bloody chunks. Definitely superior to the rather underwhelming and unbloody one in POE.

jones092201@gmail.com

jones092201@gmail.com

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Tyranny had some kicks and stuff, and I'd love to see the carry over for any class that takes.

Would also love to see some per encounter attacks with more elegant animations open up after taking a weapon style...like the per encounter smash on abbydon's hammer.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10491 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It would be awesome - traditionally animations are very resource-costly, and is the primary restriction for things like playable monster races, but whatever they can squeeze in would make a difference.

• Mygaffer likes this

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2906 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

This would be a worthwhile usage of resources.

• Mygaffer likes this

Archaven

Archaven

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1506 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The best monk animation i've seen in game is .. Diablo 3 monk  :biggrin: . I want all character classes to have it's own attack animation and more variety!

Mygaffer

Mygaffer

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well guys, sounds like the team has heard, Feargus has said [Will Monks get Custom Unarmed Animations?] "I am almost certain that is the plan."

Can't wait to see what they come up with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users