Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Need a router, don't know whats what.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4493 posts

So, I have a socket in the wall with an internet connection. I would like a wireless router and a cable splitter in one. Preferably with USB c and LAN cable in one so I can use that with my tablet PC (only physical connections are USB C)

Internet cable goes into router,another cable continues from router to PC. Router has firewall and provides a wireless hotspot. 

Anything like that exist ?

• Jamesvop likes this

Elerond

Elerond

One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2605 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think that simplest solution for you would be to go with Wireless router that has also LAN hub and USB to RJ45 adapter.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4493 posts

That's probably what I meant then. 

Elerond

Elerond

One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2605 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Most decent priced wireless routers have firewall controls for inbound and outbound traffic and VPN support and parental controls etc. features

Like for example

https://www.amazon.c...4787664011&th=1

If you need more advance firewall features then you probably need to look bit more expensive routers

Most USB - RJ45 adapters most likely work in your pc, but for safety it is wise to check that they have drivers for your OS.

Here is one example of such adapter

https://www.amazon.c...G/dp/B00LIW8TBG

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6398 posts

Netgear's Nighthawk series has been good for me. Still rocking the original Nighthawk and it's a streaming champ

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4493 posts

So turns out I can get a wireless router for next to nothing and if it has more than one LAN connector (if it's a hub/switch) it's like price x 10. A simple hub/switch is also dirt cheap.

It's two things though and more clutter underneath the desk. 

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3669 posts

You're probably not comparing apples to apples if there's that much price differential. You can get a 4-port wireless-N router for under 20EUR these days, though it'd be a cheaper Chinese brand with a less polished UI. Something like this would absolutely do the job, and I run TP-Link gear no problem, cheap and cheerful but not as idiot-proof as the established brands in terms of setup.

The primary price driver besides brand would be wireless capability. These days devices will come either with just the older wireless-N support, or with the newer wireless-AC standard. In the latter case they'll still have wireless-N as a fallback, it just means the device won't be operating at its maximum throughput. But that's not all, because there's a numerical rating attached to the standard, whether it be N or AC, e.g. N300 or AC1200. These numbers are a measure of their speed, but is not a direct representation of it.

Now for the N standard it's pretty simple. The number just means the theoretical maximum throughput, i.e. N300 is 300Mbps. You will never hit that theoretical value of course, but it's easy enough to compare various products with that figure.

The wireless-AC products though are misleadingly labelled because the number is the sum of two separate wireless bands that will be operating. When you operate an AC1350 router, you're not getting 1350Mbit, you're getting (theoretically of course) a 450Mbit wireless-N network operating concurrently with a 867Mbit wireless-AC network (and 1317 is rounded up to 1350 because reasons). This is why they are marketed as "dual-band". Modern devices will have the option to connect to the AC network and only get the 867Mbps or to the slower N network, you cannot connect the same device to both simultaneously. Older or cheaper devices such as game consoles would just connect to the wireless-N network and act as if the AC network wasn't there.

EDIT: The USB ports on routers are not designed for you to connect a PC to them, rather they are intended for things like printers or an external hard drive to share between the other devices connected to it.

Edited by Humanoid, 15 January 2017 - 08:06 AM.

• Sarex likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users