Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

List of Dungeons & Dragons CRPGs

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts
bump since it's not stickied...

however, i would not refer to a C64 as a PC as it was not a complete system. it had no OS, and only a small amount of RAM (no HD, no floppy, etc.).

taks

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Steam:enderandrew
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Early PCs didn't always have an OS. Either way, it's a personal computer. There were word processors, spreadsheets and the like for the C64.

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts
IBM PCs did.... they all ran on DOS (disk operating system). any of the previous kit computers would not be PCs by my definition, either, nor such things as the atari 2600.

C64 was certainly a computer, just not a PC in the sense i refer to them. but oh do i miss my days with the C64! :-

taks

Musopticon?

Musopticon?

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8956 posts
  • Location:What the Bircarli once called their own, spires of soot, flatlands of silver, sky afire
Please, cleanse this of other posts and sticky it.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts

IBM PCs did.... they all ran on DOS (disk operating system).  any of the previous kit computers would not be PCs by my definition, either, nor such things as the atari 2600.

C64 was certainly a computer, just not a PC in the sense i refer to them.  but oh do i miss my days with the C64! :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have little time for the C64 ... poor relative to the grand Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs' Apple ][, complete with 48kB main memory, and 16kB language card (additional memory). DOS was loaded via the floppy drive into the (1MHz?) 6502 8-bit processor. (The IBM PC was 16 bit.)

Anyone remember the Beagle Bros?

Of course, my first computer experience was the school's Challenger 1P, which had 1kB of RAM (but there were a couple that had expanded RAM of 4kB). Then my university had one of the first computers in the world, it was still on display and functioning: card readers!

Anyway, back on topic:

I had about 400 360kB 5.25" diskettes of games for the Apple ][, including all the Infocom adventures and many, many arcade and adventure games. There is no way I could even name all the Fantasy games on the Apple, even with my old catalogue ...

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts
tales of the unknown (aka the bard's tale) on the C64 is one of my fondest memories. my brothers and i (both younger) would stay up till 6 in the morning playing them... 20 years ago. *sigh*...

sorry to hijack the thread r-p, but this keeps it pseudo-stickied!

taks

Diogo Ribeiro

Diogo Ribeiro

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4823 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:ModernPlague
Heh, that's fine with me taks. The conversation's pretty interesting, even, and it'll be a little longer until I update this with NWN2 info so help yourselves ;)

Musopticon?

Musopticon?

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8956 posts
  • Location:What the Bircarli once called their own, spires of soot, flatlands of silver, sky afire
bump

Sticky this already.

Kelverin

Kelverin

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 913 posts
What he^ said.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members