Benevolent choices...i beg to differ

How exactly were Raedric's methods efficient? How did they improve the situation?

inorite

Nothing he was doing had any effect, nor did he have any reason to believe it would. That borders on the definition of a witch hunt.

I could make a case for Raedric, but it would involve a lot of assumptions and arguments not presented in the game, and it wouldn't have to do with efficiency, that's for sure.

Objectively, he's quite obviously insane. It's too bad he makes such a rubbish job of rationalizing his actions.

t50aJUd.jpg

Weeeell, Raedric did his best given what he had to work with. I mean, he had both an animancer and a priest, so he was looking into both scientific and religious solutions. In a less impossible situation, with a problem that he understood, he might have been a good king. 

• Like 1

Weeeell, Raedric did his best given what he had to work with. I mean, he had both an animancer and a priest, so he was looking into both scientific and religious solutions. In a less impossible situation, with a problem that he understood, he might have been a good king.

The question I'm asking is what part the priests of Berath played in this. He's obviously trying to find a solution, but he's convinced that this is all Berath's judgment. The fact that you can't delve deeper into why he'd think that makes the situation feel flat. At this point in the game, it should've been conveyed much more that this could very well have been Berath's judgement.

In fact, thinking about it, "We don't know what causes it" is driven home quite often in the game. Absent is the fact that people are more likely to jump to conclusions, and we should've seen more of an effect from those conclusions. I think we only see Raedric pulling this conclusion, and it's not explained very well.

t50aJUd.jpg

The question I'm asking is what part the priests of Berath played in this. He's obviously trying to find a solution, but he's convinced that this is all Berath's judgment. The fact that you can't delve deeper into why he'd think that makes the situation feel flat. At this point in the game, it should've been conveyed much more that this could very well have been Berath's judgement.

In fact, thinking about it, "We don't know what causes it" is driven home quite often in the game. Absent is the fact that people are more likely to jump to conclusions, and we should've seen more of an effect from those conclusions. I think we only see Raedric pulling this conclusion, and it's not explained very well.

Any fanatical priest will probably insist that "their God" has the solution (even if just to find favor at court) The priests of Berath are no doubt advising Raedric on some level, which makes the atrocities in Gilded Vale at least partly their fault. It seems funny that the priest you meet in the upper chambers is such a nice guy. It would make more sense for him to be a fanatical crackpot.

I kind of wanted more from the political situation in Gilded Vale. After the initial encounter with the headman, we never hear anything more about the offer to new settlers. Like, we go from "The offer of land might change" to "Well, I've never met this guy, but I'd better go single-handedly say siege to his castle!"

• Like 1

Any fanatical priest will probably insist that "their God" has the solution (even if just to find favor at court) The priests of Berath are no doubt advising Raedric on some level, which makes the atrocities in Gilded Vale at least partly their fault. It seems funny that the priest you meet in the upper chambers is such a nice guy. It would make more sense for him to be a fanatical crackpot.

I kind of wanted more from the political situation in Gilded Vale. After the initial encounter with the headman, we never hear anything more about the offer to new settlers. Like, we go from "The offer of land might change" to "Well, I've never met this guy, but I'd better go single-handedly say siege to his castle!"

So ... basically it's all Nedmar's fault? I can live with that.

Although one might also fault Berath for not getting in touch with his priest and saying, "no, stop that." Gods, man.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Although one might also fault Berath for not getting in touch with his priest and saying, "no, stop that." Gods, man.

Haha, yeah. Since the player can so easily talk with the Gods in Twin Elms, one has to wonder why more people don't go get a direct opinion from the beings they worship. 

Edited by Heijoushin

Haha, yeah. Since the player can so easily talk with the Gods in Twin Elms, one has to wonder why more people don't go get a direct opinion from the beings they worship. 

I have a feeling the PC is a bit special in that regard.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

I would've given a lot to actually be lied to convincingly, or have "good" decisions come back to haunt me because I was gullible. But it's practically never the case.

I think killing Raedric in favor of Kolsc is a pretty good example of a "good" decision coming back to haunt you. I mean, arguably the best outcome for Gilded Vale is siding with Raedric to kill Kolsc.

Doesn't sparing Wirtan also come back to bite you in the ass later?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I would've given a lot to actually be lied to convincingly, or have "good" decisions come back to haunt me because I was gullible. But it's practically never the case.

I think killing Raedric in favor of Kolsc is a pretty good example of a "good" decision coming back to haunt you. I mean, arguably the best outcome for Gilded Vale is siding with Raedric to kill Kolsc.

Only if you drive him out of town, and he'll be all "But I'll die out there", so it's not really the benevolent thing to do. :p

t50aJUd.jpg

Only if you drive him out of town, and he'll be all "But I'll die out there", so it's not really the benevolent thing to do. :p

Mmm, I'm misremembering - I thought he was always with Gramrfel's group if he wasn't killed.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The quest with recovering the scrolls of Wael shows gods can just pop up and say hi to anyone pretty much anytime they want though.

"Anytime they want" is the key phrase here. They are elusive little bastards and sure, if they want to talk to you it's easy. But if you want to talk, good luck convincing them your cause and your questions matter.

Watcher is lucky in this regard that Leaden Key and Hollowborn matter a lot to the gods, so it's a little easier to get their attention.

• Like 1

The quest with recovering the scrolls of Wael shows gods can just pop up and say hi to anyone pretty much anytime they want though.

"Anytime they want" is the key phrase here. They are elusive little bastards and sure, if they want to talk to you it's easy. But if you want to talk, good luck convincing them your cause and your questions matter.

Watcher is lucky in this regard that Leaden Key and Hollowborn matter a lot to the gods, so it's a little easier to get their attention.

Exactly.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer