So can't seem to beet him :( have eder as 2h main tank is a paladin a dw rogue as pc x2 ciphers and durance as preist . I'm thinking I need to drop a cipher for mage petrify spam? Figure if I can petrify him he'll drop in seconds I can clear adds fine just not dmg on draggie

Does durance get Prayer against Fear + Devotions for the Faithful down? That should get your accuracy up so you get through the dragons defenses. Crowns for the Faithful early on if you can would also help, as would Shining Beacon on the dragon later on for -10 defenses.

Also see this thread: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84413-alpine-dragon/

Yeah that's if he is high level enough to have reaping knives. I did it at level 11 with following composition of party, similar to the op, I had a barb instead of Eder and Cana instead of priest:

Get all the best food dragon dishes you can and bonus rest. Craft scrolls of revival and maelstrom and valour,equip revival scrolls on multiple characters just in case and everyone should have potions of endurance. get alectricy of motion pots for you casters and rogue and maybe merciless gaze for rogue. Camp on the far right side of the cave before starting dialog with dragon. Send paladin to the far left side and initiate dialogue with him. Start buffing yourself like crazy with all those potions (flame shield helps too especially on Eder) and send in priest carefully for support. Make sure the dragon is always facing the tank and not everyone else. Meanwhile Eder and the ciphers should take out the mobs. Use figurines for distraction. Then spam amplified wave whenever you can. One of the ciphers may need to cast pain block on the paladin. Rogue should be ranged with deep wounds Park in a corner and pew pew the dragon.

Anyways once you clear the trash mobs good job you're halfway there. Your Pali or someone else may have gone down in the meantime so revive with scroll them while someone with boots of speed kites the dragon.

When you have focus on your ciphers you should cast pain link on Eder and Pali that will mean the dragon will be taking lots of damage even if it is killing your tanks who can be revived anyways and hopefully the rogue and deep wounds is chipping away at the dragon too. Eventually it will go down just make sure it faces away from your ranged dps during the fight or its breath attack will insta kill your back ranks. You can bring a wizard instead of one cipher to try to land a petrify attack too.

Edited by ottffsse

Never forget your scrolls of defense, scroll of prayer against fear and scroll of valor and scroll of revive in case durance takes a premature nap. Scroll of Wall of Flame also helps in combination with a ring of Searing Flames. Spam scrolls of confusion to turn the adds, then attack the dragon when he's killing his own minions.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 1 year later...

The easiest way to kill dragons is:

1. Craft as many paralyse scrolls as you can and give them to all your party members who have enough lore to use them

2. Do the same with scrolls of Valor

3. When the battle starts use the scrolls of Valor and spells to increase your accuracy as much as possible

4. Unload your paralyse scrolls on the dragon

Easy. Almost cheesy:)

• Like 1

All the other dragons aren't if this is true I can't remember. Just find a scroll that is its weakness and do the same and spam it.

Oh yeah I just remembered. A fire priest Tears the alpine dragon a new a hole. Just cas this

1. Minor avatar

2. Spam rain holy fire until all gone

3. If not dead yet cast shining beacon

Even easier then scroll method

Yes, if you can hit a dragon properly it's usually easy to kill him with the right spells. If you are a priest you should cast Devotions and Inspiring Radiance after Minor Avatar so that you can get additional +30 stackable accuracy. Else you might graze a lot.

A good approach against the Alpine Dragon is to use Confusion Scrolls and then do the damaging part. For all others paralyze works well.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Yes, if you can hit a dragon properly it's usually easy to kill him with the right spells. If you are a priest you should cast Devotions and Inspiring Radiance after Minor Avatar so that you can get additional +30 stackable accuracy. Else you might graze a lot.

A good approach against the Alpine Dragon is to use Confusion Scrolls and then do the damaging part. For all others paralyze works well.

I hope he is harder at "Hard" difficulty. He was a joke at "Normal." Didn't even need to buff or eat - just sat in front of him and auto-attacked.

While I am sure it will get harder at higher difficulties, I think the difficulty progression in this game is awful. And dropping an in-between DLC area made the problem worse. It really sucked the fun out of the late-game, and I do not understand this decision at all.

He will be as hard as on normal. Dragons don't change from normal to hard diff.

Yes, most of the late game is too easy with a full party - even at PotD.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

While I am sure it will get harder at higher difficulties, I think the difficulty progression in this game is awful. And dropping an in-between DLC area made the problem worse. It really sucked the fun out of the late-game, and I do not understand this decision at all.

The (hopefully) good news is Obsidian have acknowledged the bad difficulty scaling on Pillars and have said they'll try to improve it in Deadfire.

• Like 1

The (hopefully) good news is Obsidian have acknowledged the bad difficulty scaling on Pillars and have said they'll try to improve it in Deadfire.

I hope so. And hopefully DLC maps out levels that come after the original game is done, so it doesn't become a cakewalk, too.

• Like 1