Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Paladin solo vs Thaos (PotD)

solo potd paladin thaos

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Kaylon

Kaylon

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 832 posts

Since scaled Thaos can be even more cheap and brutal than the dragons I thought it would be interesting to find a good method to kill him. Tanking him (video 1) is possible but not very reliable (various bugs mostly and sometimes rng can screw you badly if you don't play perfectly).

The second method is to run and shoot them to death (video 2) since the map looks like it was designed for that .  8)

https://youtu.be/6oGAmsXep34

https://youtu.be/E8jh6m-fO9o

PS. In my game the spellward amulet is bugged and I'm losing 10 more defense against spells. With it you could reach 100% protection against Cleansing Flame more easily.

Torm51

Torm51

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1342 posts
  • Steam:extol51
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I tested spell ward in mine and it works. But it's actually the necklace that you get from the club Bradfords whatever. It's the same as spell ward maybe that's it. Its a diff item.

Also Deprive the Unworthy turns thaos into a clown. You know that though. Unfortunately that ability isn't that good since most npcs don't have buffs that are that threatening. Although with the better AI now I have found times where I have wanted the talent.

Oh and ya I don't use it now because it robs status immunities that aren't intended :p

Kaylon

Kaylon

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 832 posts

Deprive the unworthy isn't that effective because it just suppresses the active buffs and since Thaos team has unlimited spells/buffs they get buffed back fast. It could help only after killing the Judge to remove his accuracy buff from the others.

PS. Tried all the items giving spell defense and they don't work in my game.

Torm51

Torm51

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1342 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Your game is somehow broken then.  I repeatedly used this amulet last night and it was giving me the defenses....that's really weird man.

Torm51

Torm51

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1342 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Deprive the unworthy isn't that effective because it just suppresses the active buffs and since Thaos team has unlimited spells/buffs they get buffed back fast. It could help only after killing the Judge to remove his accuracy buff from the others.

PS. Tried all the items giving spell defense and they don't work in my game.

Ya you are talking solo very true.  As a Paladin you just don't have the dps to kill him before he rebuffs.  In a group with Deprive the Unworthy and real heavy hitters hes a joke.

Kaylon

Kaylon

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 832 posts

Heh, found a way to make this fight trivial... With a potion of Llengrath and Aila Braccia you have enough deflection to make his Cleansing Flame graze you at best and return back to the sender. Basically he will disable himself for the most of the fight and finally suicide himself...  :grin:

PS. The laguafeths also become trivial with this shield and on a monk it's probably even more hilarious. 

• AndreaColombo, AlexDeLarge, Raven Darkholme and 1 other like this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7632 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Yes, it's really nice. I always thought "this shield is pretty useless" until it reflected some spells and I realized that "ranged" didn't mean arrows and bullets alone, but also targeted spells.
Reflection also works with Badgradr's Barricade (+durgan steel) and The Golden Scales. In this case it's a 30% chance of all ranged attacks that get reflected.

Edited by Boeroer, 09 January 2016 - 10:54 PM.

Kaylon

Kaylon

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 832 posts

Yeah, there are 3 kinds of reflections:

- Soul Mirror ability which reflects only misses (50%)

- Reflection (Aila Braccia) which reflects only grazes (100%)

- Reflecting (Golden Scales), Major Reflection (Badgradr's Barricade), Durgan-Reinforced (Shields) which reflect only crits/hits/grazes (10%).

So a monk using Aila Braccia could, in theory, make himself immune to ranged attacks and at the same time reflect back 57.5% of all ranged attacks.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3561 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Reflection also works with Badgradr's Barricade (+durgan steel) and The Golden Scales. In this case it's a 30% chance of all ranged attacks that get reflected.

Indeed, with that particular combination of armor and shield you'd look so hideous and unfashionable that ranged attacks would rather make a U-turn and go back to the sender than to hit you :p

• gogocactus and Boeroer like this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7632 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Hahaha - right! But only the bravest would fire at you in the first place - because all others would have to avert their eyes.

• AndreaColombo likes this

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1746 posts
  • Steam:Victor_Creed_SFV

Haha, I asked about this shield ages ago, wondering if it helps vs dragon flames.^^

Kaylon

Kaylon

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 832 posts

Haha, I asked about this shield ages ago, wondering if it helps vs dragon flames.^^

Well, for AoE attacks it doesn't help...

Edited by Kaylon, 10 January 2016 - 08:58 AM.

• Raven Darkholme likes this

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1746 posts

Well, fore AoE attacks it doesn't help...

I see.

Kaylon

Kaylon

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 832 posts

I updated the video (unfortunatelly I can't edit the links in the first post anymore) of the last fight using this time Aila Braccia and St. Ydwen's Redeemer (stole the idea from AndreaColombo :thumbsup: ). I was a bit lucky with the Cleansing Flame reflections however it felt good destroying Thaos...  :bat:

https://youtu.be/sKSHWKRjtZY

• AndreaColombo and Raven Darkholme like this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7632 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Hehe - nice.

But huh? Did the Cleansing Flame miss at the end of the fight got reflected because of the durgan reinforcement?

Because the shield itself only reflects grazes I thought.

Edited by Boeroer, 03 February 2016 - 06:39 AM.

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1746 posts

Wow, St Ydwens redeemer is so insane.

Kaylon

Kaylon

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 832 posts

Hehe - nice.

But huh? Did the Cleansing Flame miss at the end of the fight got reflected because of the durgan reinforcement?

It was a graze too, but grazes are converted to misses and reflected (you can see how it works when I show the logs for the first one).

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3561 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

It's very situational: Best weapon in the game vs. Vessels; ok against everyone else.

I usually always have a guy bound to it in the party, and I always unlock all levels, because it's so useful in the final fight ;) (it helps that it looks badass too)

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7632 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Hehe - nice.

It was a graze too, but grazes are converted to misses and reflected (you can see how it works when I show the logs for the first one).

Ahhh! That explains it (couldn't read the log too well on my mobile). :)

Kaylon

Kaylon

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 832 posts

It's very situational: Best weapon in the game vs. Vessels; ok against everyone else.

I usually always have a guy bound to it in the party, and I always unlock all levels, because it's so useful in the final fight ;) (it helps that it looks badass too)

Not so situational, there are many tough fights involving vessels especially in WM - (adra) animats, durgan's battery mobs, forge guardians, fampyrs, darguls, death guards, Concelhaut... To unlock the last level will be tough for a solo however  :p  - I wonder if second chance counts as being revived...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solo, potd, paladin, thaos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users