Constant crashing

jbelt

Question

I am 42 hours into the game. I haven't really had problems. I recently "upgraded" from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I played for an hour after that with no real problems. For an hour after that, every now and then when I loaded it crashed. After that point, every time I try to load on any save file it crashes.

I have searched the internet for a solution. I have read that this issue can sometimes happen with a 32 bit OS, but my windows 7 was 32 bit. I think I might have even read somewhere that this begins happening around the quest that I am on, the one where you rescue that Elven noble girl from the underground blood cult (sorry, I would look up the name of the quest, but I can't load the game at all), however, it won't let me load to any previous saves.

Someone please help!!! I can't play the game at all, I can't revert back to windows 7. Surely there's some way to fix this? Thanks ahead of time!

4 answers to this question

Hey Jbelt,

Sorry for the delay and welcome to the Forums! Is your windows 10 also 32bit or did you upgrade to 64bit? 

Make sure that your graphics card has the latest drivers installed and verify your game files in steam. 

If you are still running a 32 bit OS, here is a work around mentioned in the Pinned Workaround post

For 32-Bit Machines
There are reports of reporting crashing when transitioning on 32-bit machines.  We are aware of the issue and attempting to fix it.  This issue did come up on Wasteland 2, which is another Unity project, and a workaround was discovered by their fans: here

You can change your system settings on your computer to increase RAM used by a single application.  However, there are inherent risks involved when changing settings involving your operating system and any attempts to change your system settings will be at your own risk.  Obsidian is not liable for any issues that might occur with those settings.

Hope that works! Thank you for your support!

Please check the temperature of your cpu and graphics card. I had lots of problems with PoE heating up my graphics device to the point that the computer just shut down to prevent serious damage. It was a notebook by the way.

The fact that you could play for an hour and then had these problems may point to overheating. I solved this issue by using a vakkum cleaner to suck up every bit of dust in case and then made sure that the airflow is ok. Now it all works fine.

Maybe this helps - maybe not. But it's easy to find out I guess. :)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Please check the temperature of your cpu and graphics card. I had lots of problems with PoE heating up my graphics device to the point that the computer just shut down to prevent serious damage. It was a notebook by the way.

The fact that you could play for an hour and then had these problems may point to overheating. I solved this issue by using a vakkum cleaner to suck up every bit of dust in case and then made sure that the airflow is ok. Now it all works fine.

Maybe this helps - maybe not. But it's easy to find out I guess. :)

He played for an hour and stopped, now he can't play for more than 1 minute as it crashes immediately as soon as he loads a save game. I doubt temperature is an issue here. It's possible your User Account somehow lost permission to the Save Game folder during the upgrade preventing the game from reading data in that folder?

Edited by Nicholas Steel

Windows 10 x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB OC1 Windforce x3 | Integrated Audio | 8GB DDR3 RAM | ASUS P6T | Corsair AX760 PSU