European Refugee Crisis

BruceVC

alu last week or so I asked you about the rape stats in Hungary and the way I asked you felt I was being racist...were you joking because I need to clarify something if you were being serious :)

"I imagine rape stats are pretty high in Hungary" is an exceedingly racist statement. It also misses its own point entirely.

Why is this relevant now?

Okay so you did misunderstand me ....yes I can see how by the way I worded it. It doesn't miss the point because at the time it was relevant to the discussion I was having where we were discussing the appallingly high levels of crime in South Africa

I apologize for the misrepresentation I created about Hungary, it does tell me how little you  must think about my integrity and general  knowledge  if you think I could make that type of assumption of an entire country ..but I seem to sometimes get misunderstood on these forums  :biggrin:

And it matters now because its been bothering me...I have been thinking " surly he cant think I would make a blanket statement about his whole country....surly he can't think that " ...but you did and I want to clarify. For me its about the principle 

I asked that because I was trying to gauge the overall rape stats across Europe, the East European countries I would imagine probably have more overall crime than old Europe and there are logical and historical reasons for this ...like the collapse of the USSR created a vacuum for some people who are now resentful and disillusioned with integration in the EU. Add to that a lackluster or depressed economy and of course crime will be more prevalent in any country

But it wasn't a generalization that "Hungarians would naturally commit more rape than other Europeans "  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Not really racist, the nation of Hungary's composed of different groups, no ? Is just a bit prejudiced.

First set are arriving in Canada, good aside from the nauseating media coverage and people being welcoming, etc. as it strikes me as being a bit false.

What has the media been like ?

I enjoy the international Media networks but sometimes there constant desire to justify and explain events gets tiresome 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I apologize for the misrepresentation I created about Hungary, it does tell me how little you  must think about my integrity and general  knowledge  if you think I could make that type of assumption of an entire country ..but I seem to sometimes get misunderstood on these forums  :biggrin:

Are you... trying to guilt trip me about this?  :p

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Are you... trying to guilt trip me about this?  :p

No :)

I am being sincere, it would be against most of my principles to make a sweeping negative statement about a whole country 

John Milton 

Not really racist, the nation of Hungary's composed of different groups, no ? Is just a bit prejudiced.

First set are arriving in Canada, good aside from the nauseating media coverage and people being welcoming, etc. as it strikes me as being a bit false.

I enjoy the international Media networks but sometimes there constant desire to justify and explain events gets tiresome

If I were overly suspicious I would think they were pushing what a great thing it is to bring them, at least on CBC. Probably not as, showing how depserate they are, or silly human interest stories on a family as they make their way in or giving into people boastfully giving aid to them makes for feel-good TV. Helps feed Canadian narcissism, too I guess, heh.

25,000 is pretty small for Canada, I think Toronto alone could absorb that much and be okay.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I find the whole rape topic interesting. When one reads the anti-immigration articles, its one of the most prominent topics. The right is very insistent that muslim immigration is directly responsible for a huge spike in rape cases in nordic (and other) countries, and that the police and media purposefully omit the ethnicity and religion of the perpetrators on a regular basis to protect the whole multi-culti fantasy. Additionally, the punishments are usually extremely lenient. I've also read reports from women that harassment of native women walking around (not covered up) in the streets by muslim arabs and blacks is a regular thing.

I can't tell how true this is because we do not have large numbers of muslims in the capital and most of those we do have are the domestic (Bosnian) type and they are far less religious and extreme than north-african/middle eastern types. And anyone molesting women in the way I've read is a regular occurrence in countries like Sweden would end up in pretty bad shape when word got out. 

I wonder if there's anyone here from a Nordic country who has first hand experience to comment on this.

Stop reading people's fantasies and wild speculations on the internet.

That said:

1. It is illegal in Sweden to keep records of ethnic heritage of people accused of or convicted of crimes.
  2. It is true that in some of the most segregated suburbs (there probably are three or so in Sweden) harassment of people with "improper" clothing could occur. Still, this is something which COULD happen, and the harassment would take the form of someone shouting something at you. I've walked with a tailcoat on through some of the "worst" suburbs of Stockholm without anything happening at all.

Anyways, 99% of the things you read are probably outright lies, cherry-picking, or a mixture of both. That said, refugees have lately (talking the last year or so) become a huge short-term economic burden. The amount of money spent on juveniles coming to Sweden without their families is comparable to the collected expenditures of the entire state of Afghanistan, I've heard.

For something you deem "fantasies and wild speculations" there are dozens of people passionately claiming this very thing that seemingly get nothing out of it. 

Are they all racists then?

Look, as for Sweden being a country which easily gives out welfare with no counterdemands, I think most people would agree. Same as for refugees not being a short-term economic bonus, and the segregation and societal divides that has occured.

But this stuff: "The right is very insistent that muslim immigration is directly responsible for a huge spike in rape cases in nordic (and other) countries, and that the police and media purposefully omit the ethnicity and religion of the perpetrators on a regular basis to protect the whole multi-culti fantasy. Additionally, the punishments are usually extremely lenient. I've also read reports from women that harassment of native women walking around (not covered up) in the streets by muslim arabs and blacks is a regular thing." Is frankly just Nazi-levels of hogwash. I don't have time to reply to every lie and exaggeration in that statement, nor to do a Freudian analysis of the people who seem pathologically obsessed with interracial rape.

I don't care much for generalizing and labelling people "racists", I'd rather discuss every single issue separately. And frankly, a lot of what you hear is on this level:

2d5du40.jpg

I'm surprised some people are so willingly circulating wildly racist blatant lies.

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

It is prejudiced. The basis of this prejudice is the ethnicity of the country's inhabitants. Isn't that, like, the definition of racism?

Well, not necessarily the ethnicity, though, he didn't make much mention of it. Saying all Americans are dumb or that the British are bunch of drunkards isn't racist, it's being prejudiced against a large group, for example.

If he had said he assumes the rape statistics would be high as those rascally Magyars like a bit of raping now and then, that would be racist.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If I were overly suspicious I would think they were pushing what a great thing it is to bring them, at least on CBC. Probably not as, showing how depserate they are, or silly human interest stories on a family as they make their way in or giving into people boastfully giving aid to them makes for feel-good TV. Helps feed Canadian narcissism, too I guess, heh.

25,000 is pretty small for Canada, I think Toronto alone could absorb that much and be okay.

:lol:  yeah I know what you mean...but interestingly enough this type of "over attention "  to this type of social event is not about narcissism IMO 

Its about  a sense of duty and responsibility that certain sectors of society  in first world countries believe they need to support  ...I think its unnecessary but its a positive thing, albeit annoying :)

John Milton 

I find the whole rape topic interesting. When one reads the anti-immigration articles, its one of the most prominent topics. The right is very insistent that muslim immigration is directly responsible for a huge spike in rape cases in nordic (and other) countries, and that the police and media purposefully omit the ethnicity and religion of the perpetrators on a regular basis to protect the whole multi-culti fantasy. Additionally, the punishments are usually extremely lenient. I've also read reports from women that harassment of native women walking around (not covered up) in the streets by muslim arabs and blacks is a regular thing.

I can't tell how true this is because we do not have large numbers of muslims in the capital and most of those we do have are the domestic (Bosnian) type and they are far less religious and extreme than north-african/middle eastern types. And anyone molesting women in the way I've read is a regular occurrence in countries like Sweden would end up in pretty bad shape when word got out. 

I wonder if there's anyone here from a Nordic country who has first hand experience to comment on this.

Stop reading people's fantasies and wild speculations on the internet.

That said:

1. It is illegal in Sweden to keep records of ethnic heritage of people accused of or convicted of crimes.
  2. It is true that in some of the most segregated suburbs (there probably are three or so in Sweden) harassment of people with "improper" clothing could occur. Still, this is something which COULD happen, and the harassment would take the form of someone shouting something at you. I've walked with a tailcoat on through some of the "worst" suburbs of Stockholm without anything happening at all.

Anyways, 99% of the things you read are probably outright lies, cherry-picking, or a mixture of both. That said, refugees have lately (talking the last year or so) become a huge short-term economic burden. The amount of money spent on juveniles coming to Sweden without their families is comparable to the collected expenditures of the entire state of Afghanistan, I've heard.

For something you deem "fantasies and wild speculations" there are dozens of people passionately claiming this very thing that seemingly get nothing out of it. 

Are they all racists then?

Look, as for Sweden being a country which easily gives out welfare with no counterdemands, I think most people would agree. Same as for refugees not being a short-term economic bonus, and the segregation and societal divides that has occured.

But this stuff: "The right is very insistent that muslim immigration is directly responsible for a huge spike in rape cases in nordic (and other) countries, and that the police and media purposefully omit the ethnicity and religion of the perpetrators on a regular basis to protect the whole multi-culti fantasy. Additionally, the punishments are usually extremely lenient. I've also read reports from women that harassment of native women walking around (not covered up) in the streets by muslim arabs and blacks is a regular thing." Is frankly just Nazi-levels of hogwash. I don't have time to reply to every lie and exaggeration in that statement, nor to do a Freudian analysis of the people who seem pathologically obsessed with interracial rape.

I don't care much for generalizing and labelling people "racists", I'd rather discuss every single issue separately. And frankly, a lot of what you hear is on this level:

2d5du40.jpg

I'm surprised some people are so willingly circulating wildly racist blatant lies.

Ros I am glad you are setting the record straight about Sweden...for some reason Sweden has become the paradigm of EU failure for some on these forums  where "you have this utterly failed immigration policy that has destroyed your country " 

John Milton 

It is prejudiced. The basis of this prejudice is the ethnicity of the country's inhabitants. Isn't that, like, the definition of racism?

Well, not necessarily the ethnicity, though, he didn't make much mention of it. Saying all Americans are dumb or that the British are bunch of drunkards isn't racist, it's being prejudiced against a large group, for example.

If he had said he assumes the rape statistics would be high as those rascally Magyars like a bit of raping now and then, that would be racist.

But that's what's implied. Hungary doesn't have any significant minorities (Roma?), so other than "Magyars liking a bit of raping now and then", why would anyone assume such a thing?

It's not "hai guise here's Hungary rape stats, they pretty high", or "hai guise what are Hungary rape stats?". It's just BVC assuming random stupid **** about an Eastern Europe (read: non-Western) country. Unlike American or British, Hungarian is an ethnicity. Prejudice about a particular ethnicity is hard to write off as not racism.

*braces for a YT rant from a random "not racist" guy with really bad taste in hairdos*

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Maybe it is a "karma"...? Sweden was Scandinavia isn't it? They are Vikings...and Vikings love to rape and raid other people settlements...so now it is a "karma"...European colonizations also do the same to many peoples and places...

"Karma" can hit USA too...

But that's what's implied. Hungary doesn't have any significant minorities (Roma?), so other than "Magyars liking a bit of raping now and then", why would anyone assume such a thing?

It's not "hai guise here's Hungary rape stats, they pretty high", or "hai guise what are Hungary rape stats?". It's just BVC assuming random stupid **** about an Eastern Europe (read: non-Western) country. Unlike American or British, Hungarian is an ethnicity. Prejudice about a particular ethnicity is hard to write off as not racism.

*braces for a YT rant from a random "not racist" guy with really bad taste in hairdos*

You so clever 2133, how could anyone dispute such irrefutable logic  o:)

You do realize I have already explained exactly why I said that  and I apologized...I think alum understands why I said that

But its always nice to get your views 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Except Hungary is a western country

Is anyone surprised?

BVC is the pinnacle of "liberal" racism (more like racism applied liberally). Everyone non-western is a sad little untermenchen savage that should join the superior civilization, for their own good, you know. We are superior therefore you must accept us and if you don't you eventually will, because we will bomb you for your own good and democracy before you realize the error of your ways. And damn you for making us do it!

And on and on it goes with fascinating, bot like persistence.

• Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Could be what you are inferring, but it by itself isn't really racist - is a statement generalizing or expressing a prejudice on a country. As you said, he could think that as they are non-Western and so are just generally criminal people (high crime would match up with high rape, I think) or what have you. Not in Bruce's mind, so cannot say for certain.

Is still a rude thing to ask, but I'll just assume he wasn't being malicious and withhold my outrage for now :p

Edited by Malcador

Is anyone surprised?

BVC is the pinnacle of "liberal" racism (more like racism applied liberally). Everyone non-western is a sad little untermenchen savage that should join the superior civilization, for their own good, you know. We are superior therefore you must accept us and if you don't you eventually will, because we will bomb you for your own good and democracy before you realize the error of your ways. And damn you for making us do it!

:lol:

I'll be honest Drowsy if what Sarex said is true about how belligerent all the ex-Yugoslavian  countries still are  then its best you don't join the EU....but I cant believe you guys refuse to move on and just can't achieve a meaningful peace with your neighbors? Its not that hard but you seem determined to follow the path of interminable conflict ...I don't understand the logic ?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

And no Qistina, Islam hasn't invented anything. It was done by Persians, Arabs, Turks, Assyrians, etc. The sooner you let go of such whimsical musings, the sooner your people will actually read books again and before you know it, you'll have your renaissance you will be walking on the moon.

Of course, Islam is just a religion...but this religion moved it's followers, the Arabs, to learn all knowledge available. Islam changed the Arabs from being ignorant into enlightenment. The first revelation in Quran is "Read, in the name of Allah who created you from blood clot". That's the first step. What i mean is Islam is a catalyst for changes in which makes the Arabs are knowledge hungry.

That's the Arabs, of course Muslims are not just the Arabs, there are Persians, Turkish, Spaniards, Moorish, Chinese, Malays...and on and on...every Muslims bring on own knowledges and share it, contribute it to Islam. That's why you can see everything found by Muslims either it was original or originated from somewhere, it is contribute to Islam. Persian Muslims don't contribute it to Persia, and so others toward their nationality, but to Islam.

Al Khwarizmi who created the Algebra, originally Al-Jabbar, he study Hindu numerology, and so many others, and making mathematical formula for what? For Islam...it is for Muslims to make easy counting the zakat, the alms, and make bearings toward Makkah for prayer and pilgrimage. You can't deny it is contribution from islam because Algebra is created for Islam.

The same in chemistry, it was Al-Khemyt, then Alchemy...it was Egyptian knowledge, learned by the Muslim Arabs for what? To learn the truth behind all things, the truth about Allah creations. What motivate the Arabs to learn that knowledge is Islam. from there the knowledge evolved and spread to the west, becoming modern chemistry.

You can't deny islam contribution to the world because it is too many. If there is no islam, the world don't change into what we see today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL41gX0fJng

Oh, no one is denying that Islamic scholars took Hindu, Greek and other scriptures, translated and finally developed them. But the thing is, you have all this innovation taken place when the islamic laws were the most laxed. After turning back to being closer to the scripture and focusing on out-islaming one another, all that knowledge is rendered moot and you are left with people thinking what knowledge is haram or not. All while the Iranians, who are waaaay more secular, especially the youth, are making great progress. Maybe the islamic world never emotionally recovered from the destruction of Baghdad by the Mongols, who knows. Interesting anecdote though that the Iranians have continued this tradition compared to others, either they have fallen or the Persian influence was greater that you would like to admit. Maybe they as a people, as a culture, nurture such traditions compared to the frivolous Arabs, but i admit that this last part is still speculation from my side.

Besides, one can say the same thing about the Romans. Or the Han dynasty in China. 

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Is still a rude thing to ask, but I'll just assume he wasn't being malicious and withhold my outrage for now :p

When I call people out on racist stuff they say, I rarely assume they did so maliciously. It doesn't make the statement less racist, though.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Is anyone surprised?

I'll be honest Drowsy if what Sarex said is true about how belligerent all the ex-Yugoslavian  countries still are  then its best you don't join the EU....but I cant believe you guys refuse to move on and just can't achieve a meaningful peace with your neighbors? Its not that hard but you seem determined to follow the path of interminable conflict ...I don't understand the logic ?

That was weak my friend, but enough to confirm everything I just said about you. :)

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

When I call people out on racist stuff they say, I rarely assume they did so maliciously. It doesn't make the statement less racist, though.

Heh, well that's surprising. Still disagree with it being racist (and thinking about it, not all that rude but that is just me not identifying with either of my countries and letting that colour my eyes) but you caught it so is your call, so to speak.

Rather surprised that Trinidad's rape count isn't astronomical, but then again everything there is so ****ed up the degree of error must be 500%

Edited by Malcador

Simply put, western civilization is defined by its culture, which is defined by its people. The christian heritage is part of all of us, no matter how much we deny it, it's part of our foundation. That doesn't mean that it requires a stateman to be religious or to quote the bible, but it doesn't mean either that one can deny that christian ethics, spirituality, code of conduct, social interaction, philosophical judgement, sense of justice and base values are not the product of his existence. 

Western culture is just as much a product of ancient Greek and Enlightenment traditions, I'm really not seeing why do you want to single out christianity as a uniquely relevant part of these cultural pillars.

Because claiming that the christian ethics, the concept of redemption and ethos, not to mention architecture and art having no bearing on the European heritage is wishful thinking at best. 

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Heh, well that's surprising.

Yes but alum if the person had no intention of racism it should make the whole thing seem much less of rude?

Thats what I want to achieve 

John Milton 

Is anyone surprised?

That was weak my friend, but enough to confirm everything I just said about you. :)

This is what Sarex said .....how can you not see this a really bad indictment of the region ....thats why I don't believe its that bad 

"Croatia is getting military equipment (from the West (US I think)) that can be converted to a range where they can launch missiles at us (Serbia) and they are licking their lips about it. Apart from that they are constantly look for a way to trip us up. Albania is looking for any way it can to destabilize the region around it and annex Kosovo to it's borders. Macedonia is fighting a battle with it's own people because it's Muslim population has gotten so high it's influence can now cause a civil war and it's changing one puppet regime for another. Bosnia has Muslim terrorist training camps in it that are operating unchecked and the country it self is falling apart because the system that is in place is unable to do anything about that. Bulgaria is just falling apart economically, because the west won't help and they can't look to the east for fear of economic reprisal from said west. Hungary is pissed at us for letting immigrants through even though they would have probably condemned us as monsters with the rest of the world for not helping them otherwise. " 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Heh, well that's surprising.

Why? I generally make a point of saying "X [attitude] is racist", not "X [person expressing the attitude in question] is racist".

Western culture is just as much a product of ancient Greek and Enlightenment traditions, I'm really not seeing why do you want to single out christianity as a uniquely relevant part of these cultural pillars.

Because claiming that the christian ethics, the concept of redemption and ethos, not to mention architecture and art having no bearing on the European heritage is wishful thinking at best. 

It did manage to screw up rather successfully how people relate to sex, I'll give you that.

Yes but alum if the person had no intention of racism it should make the whole thing seem much less of rude?

It is less rude.

@Rostere,

If you so easily denounce these claims, than perhaps bring out the data from police, lets say compare 70s rates per 1000 citizens, then 80s, 90s, etc. then apply the place of occurance. Which districs, which towns and match with the population ratios in those areas.

IF i knew swedish I would probably do it myself out of simple curiosity.