European Refugee Crisis

BruceVC

How are they a great civilization? Lasted for a little over a hundred years and little more than barbarism and military conquest as its greatest achievement.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

How are they a great civilization? Lasted for a little over a hundred years

150 years is a decent length for an empire and in that time they drastically improved infrastructure, opened trade routes and all that other "great civilization" stuff.

and little more than barbarism and military conquest as its greatest achievement.

That's a trait shared by most great civilizations and leaders alike.

People seem to have forgotten that no great civilization has existed without a founding religion,

The Mongol empire.

That, said this is absurd thinking. I'm a big believer in "incorrect belief leads to incorrect action" so basing social policy off blind religious dogma seems a recipe for disaster.

Sure, it leads to groups of people with distinct facial features as a consequence in the long run, but isn't that the diversity that people like so much? those differences that make different cultures so interesting with different customs and languages?

To be honest I have no interest in preserving any particular skin colours or cultures.

Genghis Khan and his people worshipped the winds, their ancestors and other shamanic stuff. All while his successors split into islam (the golden horde) and the buddist Yuan dynasty, thus forming new civilizations. I think that you're confusing my point of people and the administrative policy for containing his vassals.

As for you personal interest in people and cultures, it doesn't matter as such things happen organically outside of your opinion.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Some good news everyone!

After the rape of 14 year old girl by asylum seekers in Kempele, about 100 asylum seekers/refugees marched in the nearby city of Oulu with roses and begged for forgiveness for the sins of their brethren http://www.iltasanomat.fi/kotimaa/art-1448939517887.html

Qistina, why are they displaying such acts of remorse and shame for things they haven't done? Sounds like something a christian would do.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Genghis Khan and his people worshipped the winds, their ancestors and other shamanic stuff.

And none of this was integral to the foundation of the Mongol Empire thereby contradicting your claim that "no great civilization has existed without a founding religion".
  • Like 1

Genghis Khan and his people worshipped the winds, their ancestors and other shamanic stuff.

And none of this was integral to the foundation of the Mongol Empire thereby contradicting your claim that "no great civilization has existed without a founding religion".

That's a pretty big claim to make. What would the Mongol empire be without the wind-worshipping mongols?

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

If majority will want that some word has a certain meaning, it will have it. *shrug*

On a more serious note, you need to remember that not everyone on this forum is a native English speaker and even then I wager that some meanings are different between various English speaking countries.

I will not be putting any interpretation on why he decided to use that word, as only he can clarify it. The point was clear from the context of the post though, so you could have given him a benefit of doubt instead of jumping like some grammar nazi. Not everyone is sitting with an on line dictionary and thesaurus opened, while they post in here.

No words here have any legal bearing, so there is no need to.

Good luck with that sentiment in this pit of condescension. tongue.png

I have a degree in political science

Aw, man, DE, I thought you were better than that.

Do you think this forum is condescending? I suppose if its true then I am not the only one who is like that  :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That's a pretty big claim to make. What would the Mongol empire be without the wind-worshipping mongols?

Meshugger you don't need a  religion as the foundation of modern Western countries as far as the religion being a intricate part of decision making in government ? Aren't Western countries secular around there governments ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Meshugger you don't need a  religion as the foundation of modern Western countries as far as the religion being a intricate part of decision making in government ? Aren't Western countries secular around there governments ?

Culture, Bruce.

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Culture, Bruce.

Sorry do you mean religion in Western countries is part of the culture?

John Milton 

Culture, Bruce.

What exactly is your question?

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Culture, Bruce.

What exactly is your question?

Is my point really so incomprehensible ?

I am asking Namutree if he means religion is part of Western culture

John Milton 

It was the founding father of our culture. Now it is not anymore and we seem to losing identity without any meqningful substitute.

Religion will always be part of Western culture, we just shouldn't base global policy on it 

John Milton 

define western culture

Good question 

Any country that is a Democracy and believes and practices things like human rights and freedom of speech and religion and believes in a free market where the Private sector grows the economy but government supports them 

What is your definition?

John Milton 

Some good news everyone!

After the rape of 14 year old girl by asylum seekers in Kempele, about 100 asylum seekers/refugees marched in the nearby city of Oulu with roses and begged for forgiveness for the sins of their brethren http://www.iltasanomat.fi/kotimaa/art-1448939517887.html

Qistina, why are they displaying such acts of remorse and shame for things they haven't done? Sounds like something a christian would do.

I don't understand your question and i don't understand what the article is about, i don't speak that language

define western culture

Good question 

Any country that is a Democracy and believes and practices things like human rights and freedom of speech and religion and believes in a free market where the Private sector grows the economy but government supports them 

What is your definition?

Really?

Free market is from Islam actually...in Islam every traders/vendors/anyone who sell something have a right to set prices, and buyers have a right not to buy, buying and selling is based on agreement from both side...that is free market in Islam

Price control is from Jews

Some good news everyone!

I don't understand your question and i don't understand what the article is about, i don't speak that language

He is asking you why Muslims in Finland feel responsible for the actions of those two refugees who raped the girl...why do they feel they should apologize for something they never did 

But he is missing something important....they doing it for people like him who question if the refugees can be integrated 

John Milton 

define western culture

Good question 

What is your definition?

Really?

Free market is from Islam actually...in Islam every traders/vendors/anyone who sell something have a right to set prices, and buyers have a right not to buy, buying and selling is based on agreement from both side...that is free market in Islam

Interesting, yes the West has learnt a lot from the Islamic world 

John Milton 

define western culture

Good question 

What is your definition?

Your idea of Western Culture is a state with neoliberal ideals?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Some good news everyone!

He is asking you why Muslims in Finland feel responsible for the actions of those two refugees who raped the girl...why do they feel they should apologize for something they never did 

But he is missing something important....they doing it for people like him who question if the refugees can be integrated 

Oh i see, well maybe it is because of they are minorities, and then the west negative view about Islam, so they compelled to say "we are good guys, please don't see us the same like those rapists, terrorists, robbers, bad guys...", i feel pity for Muslims in the west actually, maybe because i live in Muslim country, i feel superior here...

define western culture

Good question 

What is your definition?

Really?

Interesting, yes the West has learnt a lot from the Islamic world 

Yes, the west learn many things from Islam, and then convert it into something new...that's what i respect about the west...nationalism, socialism, capitalism, communism, liberalism, women rights...all these from Islam, but it is not in the way the west redefine it...but sadly in islamic world all these things also redefined into something bad, out of conservatism and anti-west sentiment. Most Muslims don't even know the meaning of all those "ism' but reject it just because "it is from the west, therefore it is bad and unIslamic"

• Like 1

define western culture

Good question 

What is your definition?

Your idea of Western Culture is a state with neoliberal ideals?

Im not sure what you mean by that? 

Whats your definition of neoliberal?

John Milton