A closer analysis on class balance and the 2.03 patch

the fix to this is so simple i simply can't believe it hasn't been implemented...

the no. 1 complaint about afflictions, either coming at the player or coming FROM the player; due to the graze/hit/crit system "
difficult" battles become Charm-Wars, with the victor being whoever out-CC's the other.

Instead of making up a bunch of new **** simply go through each CC spell and freaking put a -10 or -15 ACC penalty on it, there, problem alleviated. That should result in more frequent Misses, and more frequent Grazes and obviously much less frequent Crits.

there is absolutely no reason slicken or repulsing seal should have inherent +ACC modifiers, and there is no reason why a Dank Spores innate Charm-Spit can't be altered and nerfed a little bit by applying a -15 ACC malus on it.

The annoying Spore will still spit-charm players a lot, but it won't be EVERY SINGLE TIME because it "grazed". ETC, ETC, ETC.

I can agree.

My initial thought was repulsing seal should have its duration divided by 2.

Slicken should have its radius nerfed, its range nerfed, or be a higher level spell or all of the above.

And i see quite a bit of stuff is immune to hobbled. So that guy in OPs vid shouldnt just whine on about fighters. That is a pretty big hit to other classes like rogue too.

Edited by Kilburn

the fix to this is so simple i simply can't believe it hasn't been implemented...

the no. 1 complaint about afflictions, either coming at the player or coming FROM the player; due to the graze/hit/crit system "

difficult" battles become Charm-Wars, with the victor being whoever out-CC's the other.

Instead of making up a bunch of new **** simply go through each CC spell and freaking put a -10 or -15 ACC penalty on it, there, problem alleviated. That should result in more frequent Misses, and more frequent Grazes and obviously much less frequent Crits.

there is absolutely no reason slicken or repulsing seal should have inherent +ACC modifiers, and there is no reason why a Dank Spores innate Charm-Spit can't be altered and nerfed a little bit by applying a -15 ACC malus on it.

The annoying Spore will still spit-charm players a lot, but it won't be EVERY SINGLE TIME because it "grazed". ETC, ETC, ETC.

These spells have acc bonus because wizard has worse base accuracy than fighters and because there are no feats that give bonus accuracy to spells. Maybe removing accuracy bonus would be a good idea but giving a negative modifier would be a bad idea. Nobody would use these spells anymore.

What they actually need to do is remove stupid graze/miss/hit system and just have miss/hit/crit. Or at least make graze not just time reduction but also effect reduction.

I don't think the Accuracy modifiers should be dropped. That would make PER the must-pump stat by definition for all casters in order to make up.

Nerfing some of them could be an idea but I wouldn't remove them entirely.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

In my opinion obsidian is trying to cure a symptom instead of curing the illness.

The illness being all CC spells and conditions.

Knock down and petrification basically boil down to the same thing: you can attack your enemy without consequence.

Dominion, Charmed, and confused on top of that can make your enemy a friendly and control them.

My suggestion would be instead of making enemies immune to these conditions to change the nature of these conditions.

For instance a knocked down character could get a saving throw every time he or she is attacked to get back up, this would make it less attractive to attack a prone enemy and the ability would be used a lot more for what it is supposed to be used for: crowd control. 

Petrification could give the petrified subject a damage resistance of +20 or something like that, so you can attack a petrified enemy freely.

However you will not be doing a lot of damage.

Charmed, confused, and dominated should get a saving throw to snap out of this condition when they are attacked.

This would prevent the ability being used as a combat initiator, since the subject won't be suffering from the condition very long when attacked by multiple foes.

In addition these spells could no longer be used as hard cc, but would require a more tactical approach from the player,only dominating enemies which are not in danger of being attacked by you or their former allies.

It would also fix the situation most POE players have encountered multiple times, where the main tank gets gibbed with one of these abilities.

Just my 2 cents.

I actually quite like this. Maybe not the exact implementation, but rather the direction. Confusion / Charm having a chance to a save every time they are hit is kinda neat. And maybe petrification having high DR on all attack types except for maybe piercing.

One of the issues is that some of the most debilitating cc (in terms of active effects) also have the most severe reduction to saves.

Edited by mosspit

It is not clearly polarizing because 3 people complain about it.

Neither it is universally liked because 4 people agree with it.

Anedoctal evidence is hardly reliable.

What you said does not "beat" what I said. You just confirmed by statement. Edited by archangel979