Pillars of balancing

There is only 2-6 unique weapons per weapon category, so not actually that many choices for one character build (as you are meant to lock down your choices to 2-3 weapon types at max per character), but you are over helmed by amount of unique weapons because there are nearly 30 weapon categories in the game, which means that there are over 100 unique weapons in the game.

And why there is that many weapon categories in the game, that is mainly because those of that funded the game asked that there would be lots of different kinds of weapons that have different effects.

Enchanting systems is there because it was something that backers and Obsidian wanted to have in the game and it's what it's to give players ability to keep their equipment relevant through the game without needing to change them, which is meant to give players ability to use those weapons, shield and armors that they like for lore, look, or other reasons. Which means that if your wonder of finding equipment comes from what they can do mechanically game may not be able to give you sense of wonder if you don't find it from looking special enchantments in equipments that you looted.

Wonder of finding stuff in my opinion works best in this game for people that have certain character in the mind (like for example my character is swashbuckler rogue, who runs around in light armor, wearing cape and hat and uses rapier and pistol to fight) or who like to min-max their equipment choices with enchantment system. But those that get their kicks from finding god hammer or mega sword that are without question best weapons in the game, PoE will be disappointing as it tries its best that there aren't such equipment in the game. 

• Like 2

Guest Ontarah

I agree the magic items in the game are *extremely* lacking.  I want to fight a Firkraag and get a Carsomyr out of the deal.  Not just keep stacking, not very useful slightly magic effects to the same silly mace I've had since the beginning of the game. 

Edited by Ontarah

There is only 2-6 unique weapons per weapon category, so not actually that many choices for one character build (as you are meant to lock down your choices to 2-3 weapon types at max per character), but you are over helmed by amount of unique weapons because there are nearly 30 weapon categories in the game, which means that there are over 100 unique weapons in the game.

And why there is that many weapon categories in the game, that is mainly because those of that funded the game asked that there would be lots of different kinds of weapons that have different effects.

Enchanting systems is there because it was something that backers and Obsidian wanted to have in the game and it's what it's to give players ability to keep their equipment relevant through the game without needing to change them, which is meant to give players ability to use those weapons, shield and armors that they like for lore, look, or other reasons. Which means that if your wonder of finding equipment comes from what they can do mechanically game may not be able to give you sense of wonder if you don't find it from looking special enchantments in equipments that you looted.

Wonder of finding stuff in my opinion works best in this game for people that have certain character in the mind (like for example my character is swashbuckler rogue, who runs around in light armor, wearing cape and hat and uses rapier and pistol to fight) or who like to min-max their equipment choices with enchantment system. But those that get their kicks from finding god hammer or mega sword that are without question best weapons in the game, PoE will be disappointing as it tries its best that there aren't such equipment in the game. 

i figured this had to do with backers because I think quite a bit of the game was stuffed full of backers stuff.

Which I am definitely not against at all.  I like that they added so much content based on backer feedback and lore directly from them.

However I think it could have been handled a lot better.  I hope they did learn from it.

They should of had an A team on backer content in my opinion.

The static backer characters should have been tied into over arching quests.

Memorials should have had some standardization in both writing and grammar at the very least.

And itemization like the weapons should have been merged across the board to have less weapons and more impact from finding them. Rather than 100 weapons just because they were asked to do it that way.  At least stagger the weapons over time or do a pre generated seed on game start to only drop X amount during that play through.

So I do not end up with like 5 different rapiers which largely become cosmetic items. 

Even with half of the weapons you can still pretty much tailor your character without too much overthinking every time a new weapon drops.

As far as enchanting goes it is a gutted system.  It feels reverse engineered as though it was once robust and now it is limited.  Like they just commented out certain code lines.

In the end it takes numerous play throughs to dial in how you will customize your character and by that time the story and the game is really old and it is too cumbersome to keep trying.

I think it just ended up that so much was put into the game to make sure the backers were respected and honored for their contributions.

However in doing so it feels like 2 or 3 layers of a game that did not communicate and figure out how to work together.

I think there were likely a lot of difficult decisions when it came to merging the content of the designed game core and the backer content.

• Like 1

You just don't know how to play if you don't think rangers are good. It's not like you were using arguments to prove your point.

Pet's damage is currently great, and their survivability is far enough if you can properly manage them or buff them.

The aggressiveness of your expression seems to indicate you're not exactly a rational person anyway. So I'm not going to bother arguing with you.

Your topic might not be stupid, by the way. But I sincerely doubt that debating with you could lead to any interesting exchange about balance.

Rangers so gloriously suck for the following reasons:

- ANY Character can use the EXCAT same ranged weapon that a ranger can use at the same attack speed (slightly faster for ranger if they picked a certain talent)

- Rangers tend to sit on the outskirts of battle and generally avoid getting hit. Spellcasters fit into this category also.

- So after taking the above into consideration you have a choice = have a ranger with a ranged weapon or have a spellcaster with a ranged weapon.

Its a no brainer, if you picked ranger you will have slightly better accuracy and there are 2-3 talents (MAX) to choose from at level up that are even worth picking, and you don't get 2 of them until nearly the end of the game.

If you pick a Cipher/ Wizard/ Druid/ Preist (especially a preist with the arquebus +10 accuracy) you will be able to use your ranged weapon with slightly less effectiveness as the ranger but you will also be able to rain down hell on your enemies with fire, lighting ect and you will be able to stun, heal, charm paralyze ..........................................

Rangers suffer from the same debilitating illness as barbarians and chanters........NO USEFULL ABILITIES TO CHOOSE FROM AT LEVEL UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

In ranged single target DPS rangers win every other class in the game (because even though other classes can use same ranged weapons they don't get same passive and active damage bonuses that rangers get) (this was not always true, but after buff they have got they know are better ranged damage dealers than rogues and ciphers and other classes don't come even near). Of course you can sacrifice your single target damage dealing potential and go with ciphers which are more versatile class or even go with wizards that are most versatile class in the game, or not care about single target damage and go full crowd control with multiple wizards and druids. But any route that you take you will be fine.

In ranged single target DPS rangers win every other class in the game (because even though other classes can use same ranged weapons they don't get same passive and active damage bonuses that rangers get) (this was not always true, but after buff they have got they know are better ranged damage dealers than rogues and ciphers and other classes don't come even near). Of course you can sacrifice your single target damage dealing potential and go with ciphers which are more versatile class or even go with wizards that are most versatile class in the game, or not care about single target damage and go full crowd control with multiple wizards and druids. But any route that you take you will be fine.

Not to mention the damage and tactical advantages the pet provides including their ability to completely heal after every battle - rangers are now one of the best class options in the game in my opinion but that may be biased as rangers have always been one of my favorite classes. :)

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

The dps a ranger can produce is not that much different from a spellcaster with a ranged weapon who selects relevant ranged talents eg marksman, the + 6 accuracy one, gunner, ect. Plus you can obvisiouly cast spells. Kind of like a multi class ranged fighter/ mage.

You would be stupid to pick a ranger

Not to mention the damage and tactical advantages the pet provides including their ability to completely heal after every battle - rangers are now one of the best class options in the game in my opinion but that may be biased as rangers have always been one of my favorite classes. :)

Mate what difficulty are you playing on. Your ranger pet is obsolete on path of the dammed. Period. You cannot possibly argue that.

I agree the magic items in the game are *extremely* lacking.  I want to fight a Firkraag and get a Carsomyr out of the deal.  Not just keep stacking, not very useful slightly magic effects to the same silly mace I've had since the beginning of the game.

Bingo

• Like 1

The dps a ranger can produce is not that much different from a spellcaster with a ranged weapon who selects relevant ranged talents eg marksman, the + 6 accuracy one, gunner, ect. Plus you can obvisiouly cast spells. Kind of like a multi class ranged fighter/ mage.

Only caster can get even close is cipher and even they are quite far behind against single targets in ranged combat. 

If you want ranged single target dps character it would currently be stupid to choose any other class than ranger. 

It should be also noted that rangers are mostly passive in their damage dealing ability where with casters you need actually constantly control them to get most of their damage potential.

Only caster can get even close is cipher and even they are quite far behind against single targets in ranged combat. 

If you want ranged single target dps character it would currently be stupid to choose any other class than ranger. 

It should be also noted that rangers are mostly passive in their damage dealing ability where with casters you need actually constantly control them to get most of their damage potential.

Ok you can have your ranger who will do probably about no more then 10-15% dps then one of my spell casters using a ranged weapon who can also decimate enemies with a huge variety of spells . I think I've made my point. You where also the person on my last forum who hijacked my post and kept posting negative comments everywhere. May I respectfully request you stay away from my posts please and I will stay away from yours. Thanks.

Mate what difficulty are you playing on. Your ranger pet is obsolete on path of the dammed. Period. You cannot possibly argue that.

You can use your pet as excellent scouts especially in path of the dammed and they actually add your rangers ability to do damage when you use them as compliment rangers attacks. If you think that they are obsolete then you probably should look how you should use them in fights.

Ok you can have your ranger who will do probably about no more then 10-15% dps then one of my spell casters using a ranged weapon who can also decimate enemies with a huge variety of spells . I think I've made my point. You where also the person on my last forum who hijacked my post and kept posting negative comments everywhere. May I respectfully request you stay away from my posts please and I will stay away from yours. Thanks.

they do about 30-50% more dps than spell casters using ranged weapons, when you build and use them right.

Edited by Elerond

He didn't hijack it, he was being funny.  You seem to be the one that's having trouble discussing opposing viewpoints.

Instead of blatantly ignoring their arguments, why don't you compare builds and results instead of saying "Nuh-uh, I'm right and you're not!"?

they do about 30-50% more dps than spell casters using ranged weapons..

That's no possible. 30 - 50 % is a pretty wide discrepancy mate which one is it 30 or 50. And like I said please stay away from my posts. You arguing for no other reason then to argue. There is no substance to what you are saying and no one wants to read this crap. Stay away from my posts or I will wipe it again by deleting all my posts. Go start your own thread man your to negative

We've actually got stats you know. All of my caster characters (Kana, Aloth and Durance) have rudimentary training in their respective ranged weapons, yet Sagani outperforms them all in total damage done. Closest to her is Kana, but he also uses meele weapons with higher DPS on regular basis. + add the utility of her animal companion.

Fenixp(druid) - 1st to join, 64614 dmg done

Aloth(Wizatd) - 2nd to join, 14586 dmg done

Éder(fighter) - 3rd to join, 34535 dmg done

Durance(cleric) - 4th to join, 6992 dmg done

Kana(chanter) - 5th to join, 21873 dmg done

Sagani(ranger) - 6th to join in Act II, 28933 dmg done

Besides, you are complaining about the game being too balanced and now about it not being balanced, pick one.

Edited by Fenixp

That's no possible. 30 - 50 % is a pretty wide discrepancy mate which one is it 30 or 50. And like I said please stay away from my posts. You arguing for no other reason then to argue. There is no substance to what you are saying and no one wants to read this crap. Stay away from my posts or I will wipe it again by deleting all my posts. Go start your own thread man your to negative

There are 3 spell caster in the game cipher that is closest to ranger in single damage dealing and then there are wizard and druid that are farther behind ranger in single target damage dealing, which is why the difference is 30-50%. (I didn't count in from spell casters priests and chanters who just can't compete in single target damage dealing with any of the other classes).

PS. this forum offers ignore user function if you don't like to read what I write, but I will write what I want regardless of what you want and my post aren't aimed to you but other people that are actually interested how game's mechanics actually work. 

• Like 4

There are 3 spell caster in the game cipher that is closest to ranger in single damage dealing and then there are wizard and druid that are farther behind ranger in single target damage dealing, which is why the difference is 30-50%. (I didn't count in from spell casters priests and chanters who just can't compete in single target damage dealing with any of the other classes).

PS. this forum offers ignore user function if you don't like to read what I write, but I will write what I want regardless of what you want and my post aren't aimed to you but other people that are actually interested how game's mechanics actually work.

Mate you are stalking me on all my posts and arguing everything I say for no there reason then to piss me off. I had to close down an entire thread before because of you. Go find another thread and harass them. Go away. Your not welcome on my thread. Now I already have to delete this thread because of u again.

And to all you people out there who are listening to this guy read this again

Rangers so gloriously suck for the following reasons:

- ANY Character can use the EXCAT same ranged weapon that a ranger can use at the same attack speed (slightly faster for ranger if they picked a certain talent)

- Rangers tend to sit on the outskirts of battle and generally avoid getting hit. Spellcasters fit into this category also.

- So after taking the above into consideration you have a choice = have a ranger with a ranged weapon or have a spellcaster with a ranged weapon.

Its a no brainer, if you picked ranger you will have slightly better accuracy and there are 2-3 talents (MAX) to choose from at level up that are even worth picking, and you don't get 2 of them until nearly the end of the game.

If you pick a Cipher/ Wizard/ Druid/ Preist (especially a preist with the arquebus +10 accuracy) you will be able to use your ranged weapon with slightly less effectiveness as the ranger but you will also be able to rain down hell on your enemies with fire, lighting ect and you will be able to stun, heal, charm paralyze ..........................................

Rangers suffer from the same debilitating illness as barbarians and chanters........NO USEFULL ABILITIES TO CHOOSE FROM AT LEVEL UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom line the rangers abilities on level up are to underpowered. Eg the point of my thread pillars of balancing

Mate you are stalking me on all my posts and arguing everything I say for no there reason then to piss me off. I had to close down an entire thread before because of you. Go find another thread and harass them. Go away. Your not welcome on my thread. Now I already have to delete this thread because of u again.

This is only thread (and its previous version) where I have commented anything about your posts and if you get piss of because somebody disagrees what you write in interned forum (which whole point to exist is to discuss about things) then I would recommend chilling and even going to outside and think what things are actually important in the life.

• Like 3

This is only thread (and its previous version) where I have commented anything about your posts and if you get piss of because somebody disagrees what you write in interned forum (which whole point to exist is to discuss about things) then I would recommend chilling and even going to outside and think what things are actually important in the life.

If you where so chilled and you no what's important in life why are you always trying to get the last word in. It is quite clear you are stalking me. So why don't you reflect on this and chill go for a walk outside and reflect on what's important in life

Are you sure that is me who needs to have last word, when you keep replying to my post long after you say that you don't want to talk to me and that I am clearly wrong in my claims (which would mean that there should not be even need to argue against my claims)? But for some reason it seems to be quite important to you to dish me and get other people here believe that you are absolute right and I am bad person. Have nice kitty cat to ease your pains :cat: .

• Like 1

If you where so chilled and you no what's important in life why are you always trying to get the last word in. It is quite clear you are stalking me. So why don't you reflect on this and chill go for a walk outside and reflect on what's important in life

This is quite the advice coming a guy, who started a third identical thread on his own opinion of a game, after the two others were shut down by moderators. 

Edited by TheisEjsing

I went through the report on this and I can't find where anyone said anything inappropriate.  Elerond isn't 'stalking' someone by engaging in a discussion.  It didn't look like a vendetta.  It wasn't personal in nature.  It wasn't even pointed.  Sure, it looks a lot like "you're wrong!" "No, you're wrong!" but frankly, that's not even true.  Elerond merely asserted that he's right.  Now, I want to be clear, I don't know who is actually correct about damage output.  I don't care.  I will, however, say this:  I'm not closing a thread because anyone, including the originator, doesn't like the responses as long as those responses are in keeping with the forum guidelines.  If you don't want folks to respond to you, don't post things.  It's that simple.

I'm not taking sides on the issue, and I want everyone to participate and get along, but debate, sometimes even fierce debate, is one of the best aspects of this forum.  You have to be able face opposing views without taking them personally.  I'm going to give my advice, and it's truly friendly advice.  I give it because it really helps you come to grips with the nature of a message board such as this.

1  Don't take things personally.  Attack arguments, not people, and don't take attacks on your arguments as attacks on your person.

2  The person on the opposite side of an issue today might be your ally tomorrow.

3  When you get angry, take a step back and a deep breath.

4  Once you've had your say, and you're just arguing in a circle with someone, let him get the last word.  If your arguments are correct, others can see that even if the other last words you.

5  After all is said and done, enjoy the discussion.  The debate is one of the reasons you're here, right?  It should be at least.  If you're angry and unhappy, why keep participating.

Now, having said that, I haven't yet read the whole thread.  I only read the reported exchange which was itself rather long, but I did read through it three times.  I'll reread the whole thread also, just in case, but I haven't seen any reason that you guys can't get along on anything else just because you don't agree about the exact damage output of the classes.  That's just being too invested in the argument to be healthy.

• Like 2

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!