Weapon and Shield Style.  Brings your Reflex pretty much even with Fort and Will.  Or if you want to be more offensive focused early in the game go with a weapon focus as accuracy in the early game is tough to come by (if playing PoTD)

• Like 2

Have gun will travel.

Weapon and Shield Style.  Brings your Reflex pretty much even with Fort and Will.  Or if you want to be more offensive focused early in the game go with a weapon focus as accuracy in the early game is tough to come by (if playing PoTD)

Sweet. I actually did go for the weapon and shield style earlier :) I am glad I don't have to respec him now!!! ;) Thanks!

• Like 2

While you are at it, check out the blacksmith in the first town. There is a paladin-only shield called "Outworn Buckler" that is very likely the best shield available to you for most of the game, plus it is fairly affordable.

Edited by mosspit
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

i always take cautious attack on everyone on a PotD playthrough, but you can skip it on normal/hard. +8 deflection is REALLY good. might not seem like much now, but once you're act 3 and onwards omg enemies can get quite annoying and those points will really come into good use.

if normal/hard, a good lvl. 4 talent pick for a paladin would be vulnerable attack since you're going sword-and-shield style and if you want him to do big damage. if potd i would pick cautious attack.

for lvl. 6 i'd pick superior deflection always, regardless of difficulty.

on lvl. 8 i like to take mental fortress if PotD, but if normal/hard i double down on the damage and pick savage attack, or if i'm using the paladin as an arquebus rifleman i'd take Gunner.

i always take cautious attack on everyone on a PotD playthrough, but you can skip it on normal/hard. +8 deflection is REALLY good. might not seem like much now, but once you're act 3 and onwards omg enemies can get quite annoying and those points will really come into good use.

if normal/hard, a good lvl. 4 talent pick for a paladin would be vulnerable attack since you're going sword-and-shield style and if you want him to do big damage. if potd i would pick cautious attack.

for lvl. 6 i'd pick superior deflection always, regardless of difficulty.

on lvl. 8 i like to take mental fortress if PotD, but if normal/hard i double down on the damage and pick savage attack, or if i'm using the paladin as an arquebus rifleman i'd take Gunner.

I always found Cautious Attack to be terrible. +8 deflection with -20% attack speed, Superior Deflection gets you +5 deflection without any malus. The extra +3 deflection is not worth -20% attack speed.

it's not an optimal pick, though, i agree with that. could probably switch it for taking mental fortress at lvl 4, then at lvl 6 superior deflection, and body control at lvl 8. in fact i think that's exactly what i'm gonna do this time.

i just really like stacking as much deflection as possible, might be a pyschological thing.

I've had great success with these stats: Island Aumaua (was a purely RP choice, but the extra weapon slot turned out to be real handy)

Honestly, I find it very difficult to not want to use Island Aumaua on any melee character for this very reason.  It may just be my play style, but I really, really like having more options when it comes to weapons, and having only 2 weapons slots seems too limiting for my taste.  I personally like being able to have any melee character be able to have 2 melee weapon options (usually one slash or pierce, and the other blunt) and a ranged weapon.  (And with melee characters, I tend to prefer hard hitting, slow reloading ranged weapons, since I don't really intend on taking more than one shot, so it's better to make it a hard hitting as possible.)

In a way, I think that this is a flaw in the character creation design.  There are a small number of the races/subraces whose special ability is sooooo desirable for a given role (Island Aumaua and Wood Elf being the most obvious) that it can be very difficult to not pick that race, unless you wanted to pick a less desirable race for strictly RP reasons.  Personally, I wish that the Devs would tweak the racial special abilities so that all were equally desirable.  Or in the alternative, perhaps replace those special abilities and give players the ability to pick one talent at creation (perhaps from a limited list of talents).

Along these lines, I'm designing a paladin right now that I intend to use as my next PC.  I'd really like to use a Pale Elf female, because I have a custom portrait I'd love to use.  That said, it's soooo damned hard to not want to use Island Aumaua to get that 3rd weapons slot, since I find a 3rd weapons slot to be one heck of a lot more valuable than the Pale Elves' cold and fire DR bonuses.  Oh well.  :unsure:

I'm with you on the usefulness of the Island Aumaua, especially with Paladins. Right now my Kind Wayfarer is rocking Tidefall, Long Feller Arquebus and Grey Sleeper. I don't get much use from Grey Sleeper, not even sure that with really high DR that Durgan Tidefall is not just better at all things. Probably better to carry another gun. At lower levels before Tidefall having the extra weapon slot was really useful.

I'm with you on the usefulness of the Island Aumaua, especially with Paladins. Right now my Kind Wayfarer is rocking Tidefall, Long Feller Arquebus and Grey Sleeper. I don't get much use from Grey Sleeper, not even sure that with really high DR that Durgan Tidefall is not just better at all things. Probably better to carry another gun. At lower levels before Tidefall having the extra weapon slot was really useful.

This is interesting.  i selected the island aumaua for my initial play through without the realization the third slot would be such a boon.  as others characters came on board, having two slots seemed limiting.  it's been pretty hard for me to stay away from the arms bearer and deep pockets talents though it seems a waste.  Would be a real boon for certain race/class/background combos to unlock some of these slots.

concerning skills for the main character, i'd have to agree mechanics and lore are simply too practical to avoid.  i usually take a few ranks in athletics as well.  a few skill points cuts back on the naps.

The furious hunt for knowledge often outpaces the journey to real understanding. -- Hiravias

How "offensive" is your paladin?  I'm not sure if I'd enjoy a pally who was nothing more than a hold the line, aggro magnet tank, or a pally whose only real purpose was to use auras to enhance the rest of the team.  I guess that I'm a dinosaur who thinks that paladins should be true front line holy warriors, not this warlord or general sort of character.  It just seems like it might be less interesting than I'd like it to be. :unsure:

With your above mentioned pally, I'd probably put a blunt weapon in the 3rd slot, probably a warhammer and shield, since you seem to be set up to have the Soldier weapon focus talent.  But that's my play style.  I like having a blunt weapon option for my melee characters because you never know when you're going to run across something with overly strong resistances to slash and/or piercing damage.

This is interesting.  i selected the island aumaua for my initial play through without the realization the third slot would be such a boon.  as others characters came on board, having two slots seemed limiting.  it's been pretty hard for me to stay away from the arms bearer and deep pockets talents though it seems a waste.  Would be a real boon for certain race/class/background combos to unlock some of these slots.

concerning skills for the main character, i'd have to agree mechanics and lore are simply too practical to avoid.  i usually take a few ranks in athletics as well.  a few skill points cuts back on the naps.

I've taken the Arms Bearer for nearly all of my characters, PC or companion, I find it so useful. (EDIT: useFUL, not useless.  Ooops.)

Edited by Crucis

I like making a 10 might, 13 con, 13 dex, 16 PER, 10 int, 16 resolve paladin for hybrid Tank damage sponge and then i do the following:

- flames of devotion has built-in +20 ACC which usually means it'll crit and it can be used with melee and ranged weapons
- faith and conviction when developed fully will be +11 deflection and +22 for the 3 defenses. p. damn good.
- deep faith talent further +2 to def and +5 to 3 defenses
- zealous endurance pick means (yes, 10 int, i know, not the point) this guy has essentially built-in 3 DR. better than the 1 dr barbs get on their DR talent, heh. not as good perhaps as 1 dr per wound on a monk, but the 3 dr of the pally is always on, no exceptions no conditions. basically he gets to wear the best plate mail in the game, a platemail with its normal dr + 3, all the time. this is very important.
- coordinating attacks means you attack your first enemy, and and any ally that attacks the same enemy will get +10 ACC (or was it 15?) on their attacks. if you have two paladins in the party, say PC + Pallegina, they can coordinate-attack EACH OTHER an Arquebus FoD alpha-strike for ultimate cheese, one giving the other the 10-15 ACC bonus and vice-versa. (p. sure it's more than 10)
- righteous soul talent pick for +10 versus frightened/terrified/charmed/confused/dominated, which stacks with mental fortress, and RS also decreases the durations of those afflictions by -5 seconds. FIVE SECONDS. much better than the comparable monk's saving-throw talents that actiate only after first being afflicted, IMHO.
- since he's rocking 10 might, i don't bother healing, that's what Durance is for, and normally he wouldn't do much damage but i slap drake's bell on him etc (i've gone on enough about this lol) and the end total of -16 dr bypass means his estoc swing has  dmg of 18-26 (exceptional enchanted drake's bell damage range) + 16 dr bypass, which means you add that 16 to the minimum damage so he'll do minimum of 34 dmg on every hit without a single dmg modifer. NOT TOO SHABBY.

the 13 dex / 13 con / 16 per / 16 res stat spread means he'll be slightly faster than the average bear, enjoy a nice pool of health/endurance, have 31 base ACC on leel 1, 1 point higher than a rougue with 10 PER. (rogue builders usually skimp on PER cos of the native 30 acc), and in 2.02 had base 31 base deflection on lvl 1 as well, but now on 2.03 have five less making for 26 base deflection with the stat spread i propose.

in any case, this guy will tank great, pretty much never miss his estoc swings, do a minimum of 34 damage on every Hit, (the minimum outstrips the maximum! so even the smallest dmg mod, like +3 might from gear, or +20% dmg mod from Sav. Atk., will mean a crazy good dmg dps for a 10-base might pally).

he'll also have assuming wearing exceptional unique plate which is 16 dr + 3 dr from endurance aura that's 19 dr, plus blunting belt, and the crushing dr enchantment protection on the armor, plus +2 dr talent from crucible knights, plus +1 dr blooded talent from the Fangs in Oldsong, plus.. is there any more dr to be had? gift from the machine? i forget what that gives.

point is this guy is a TANK. meatshield with guaranteed 34 minimum dmg on every swing hit, extreme high DR (+22-+23 dr, i believe, without taking into account blunting belt which covers types not flat value), deflection comparable to fighter/monks (though the 2.03 -5 really hurts :( ) and able to per-encounter guarantee coordinated flames of devotion crit-hits hopefully to activate say, an arbalests prone on crit, OR perhaps Cloudpiercer Warbow's crit jolting touch. (was it crit or proc? either one works just fine! :) and if you swap the estoc for a Great sword, you'll lose all of your DPS but you will gain guaranteed FoD crit-prones from temaperacle/hours of rumbault. up to the user! 

edit: to achieve -16 dr bypass with drake's bell estoc you need the Vambrace Bracers from the whtie march. you can get them having resolve 17 (my build has 16 res, only need one small food snack to bump it) and you can talk down the alpine dragon in TWM and he gifts you the bracers for free. you can do this as early as level 6! the only obligatory combat you'll face on your way to having a cup of tea with the alpine is the ice trolls that attack stalwart when you enter TWM, that's all. if you can kill an ogre, yeah sorry not trolls, tehy're ogres, you can go get the bracers.

drake's bell estoc has built in -3 dr bypass ON TOP of the native -5 dr bypass on an estoc, for total of 8, then we add a further -5 dr bypass from talent vulnerable attack, for 13, then a final 3 dr bypass from the bracers for 16 total dr bypass.
the toughest enemies in the game, such as end boss thaos, the dragons, vithracks, etc, have generally 20-25 DR. even though i built him with dumped might, base of 10, the 16 dr bypass per-swing means each hit will do a guaranteed MINIMUM of 18 + 16, (18 is drake's bell enchanted toe xceptional's min dmg), which is 34. KRAZY stuff.
Edited by aweigh0101

How "offensive" is your paladin?  I'm not sure if I'd enjoy a pally who was nothing more than a hold the line, aggro magnet tank, or a pally whose only real purpose was to use auras to enhance the rest of the team.  I guess that I'm a dinosaur who thinks that paladins should be true front line holy warriors, not this warlord or general sort of character.  It just seems like it might be less interesting than I'd like it to be. :unsure:

With your above mentioned pally, I'd probably put a blunt weapon in the 3rd slot, probably a warhammer and shield, since you seem to be set up to have the Soldier weapon focus talent.  But that's my play style.  I like having a blunt weapon option for my melee characters because you never know when you're going to run across something with overly strong resistances to slash and/or piercing damage.

My Kind Wayfarer is leading my team in damage. 18 Might, 10 con, 10 dex, 15 per, 10 int and 15 res. Heavy plate armor, the one you get from Vampire Raedric, wielding Durgan enhanced TideFall, Long Feller Arquebus for a FoD alpha and Grey Sleeper since I wanted to have someone use it and I had already given the Soulbound GreatSword to Pellagrinna who uses Estocs.already. Pellagrinna will do better with a Durgan Blade of the Endless Paths instead of Grey Sleeper.

Definitely not a meatshield but a frontline melee. Deflection is nothing special but DR is over 30 and the other defenses are high.

My Kind Wayfarer is leading my team in damage. 18 Might, 10 con, 10 dex, 15 per, 10 int and 15 res. Heavy plate armor, the one you get from Vampire Raedric, wielding Durgan enhanced TideFall, Long Feller Arquebus for a FoD alpha and Grey Sleeper since I wanted to have someone use it and I had already given the Soulbound Great Sword to Pallegina who uses Estocs.already. Pellagrinna will do better with a Durgan Blade of the Endless Paths instead of Grey Sleeper.

Definitely not a meatshield but a frontline melee. Deflection is nothing special but DR is over 30 and the other defenses are high.

KDubya, I thought that Flames of Devotion was a melee only ability.  Did this change in a recent patch?

EDIT: And while you're at it, what Talents did you take for your Kind Wayfarer? (And what race is he or she?)

I was thinking about (for a Shield Bearer)

Weapon Focus Soldier

Two-handed Weapon Style

Superior Deflection

Deep Faith

Critical Focus

and perhaps Bull's Will or Arms Bearer (I love the AB talent).

Speaking of Arms Bearer, this is a perfect example of why I think that Island Aumauas are so difficult for me to not want to take in a melee character because I find having the 3rd weapon slot sooooooo much more valuable than pretty much any other race's special ability when it comes to a front liner.  I have this custom portrait that I'm working on of an armored elven woman that I'd love to use (could be either a pale elf or wood elf, depending on how I customize it).  But compared to an Island Aumaua, using an elf as a front liner seems line a serious downgrade and would be strictly an RP choice.

Edited by Crucis

Not sure if FoD used to be melee only but it works really good for an arquebus alpha strike

Here is what I had for the build

Paladin Kind Wayfarer

Island Aumaua

Might 18 - wanted bigger damage and healing

Con    10

Dex    10

Per    15 - wanted the better accuracy

Int     10 - big enough aura to cover the frontline

Res   15 - wanted the dialogue

Talent/Abilities

1.) Lay on Hands - monster heal

2.) Strange Mercies - makes a big difference at the early levels

3.) Zealous endurance - more DR and hit>graze. The other Paladin in group picks up Zealous Focus

4.) Soldier Focus

5.) Flames of Devotion - great alpha strike

6.) Two handed weapon style - more damage

7.) Liberating exhortation - not sure how useful it really is, they seem to cast it a lot with the AI on. I guess it is helping but I don't really know.

8.) Vulnerable attack - DR penetration is great at pretty much any DR level

9.) Reinforcing exhortation - +25 deflection is huge, with two Paladins I can do a ranged FoD alpha and follow up with a reinforcing exhortation cast on each Paladin by the other. Makes up for not using a shield.

10.) Savage Attack - more damage

11.) Righteous Soul - better defenses

12.) Scion of Flame - helps with Sacred immolation and FoD and burning lash

13.) Sacred Immolation - makes your Paladin a super badass as long as they are not fire immune

14.) Apprentice Sneak Attack - more damage Should have been Deep Faith for the +2/+5 to deflection and defenses.

If I did it again I'd probably change Island Aumaua to Boreal Dwarf. Once I get a Great Sword there is no reason to swap since it is slash/pierce. Maybe try a dual wielder with Sabres and pistols with a similar build. With Durgan and Sky Dragon Eyes being so rare you're not going to have two maxed out weapons on one character when you can only use one at a time.

EDIT - Was going from memory and made a mistake. I'd taken Deep Faith not Apprentice Sneak attack.

Edited by KDubya

The only things there id suggest changing up would be dumping liberating exhortation, since it doesnt dispel charms, comfusion or domination and neither does it help against stunning. Pretty huge gaps imo. Try out hastening exhortation instead, or actually try out one of my favorite pally picks: coordinated attacks. Either thru ranged fod alphastrike or being first in line to occupy a chokepoint in melee this means p. Much the whole party gets huge acc bonus just for attacking same mob. Very useful since it applies to spell acc too, so mages should focus the pallys mob too. Two pallys can coordinate each other lol its super cheesy. Wiki it, cos I remember they added a dmg modifier to allies making the attacks. In any case you really cant go wrong with pallys healing chain. Way good.

the other one id change is scion of flame and instead go for superior deflection I notice you dont have it. Or deep faith, gives 2 def, and +5 fort ref will. Compliments righteousnsoul perfextly.

Lately I am running with an Islan Aumaua maxed Might, Resolve, Intellect Goldpact Paladin. The reason being the defense vs prone/stun which comes in handy especially in early game. Also the maxed might can help later on with sacred immolation and Lay on hands, furthermore the counter charm/dominate upgrade to his liberating exhortations will prove useful vs fampir and vithrak alike.

Before that I was running Moon goodlike maxed Might, Resolve, Intellect, Darcozzi Paladin with accuracy buff and aoe heals it worked decently through the entire game however not being able to use a helm was a bummer.

I think both options are viable from early game until lategame.

Edited by Vorad