Party gender preference?

I find it immersive breaking with to many women in the party. 6 100 - 150 pound women going up against all those enemies.

You do know that women serve in the military, right?
Did you know that they are outnumbered more than 100-1 in armed forces across the globe? The number is even lower if you take armed forces designed for combat, infact there are more children than women in such units!

So one in six in my PoE party is pretty absurd.....but i can suspend my disbelief so much so thats ok. 2 is pushing it beyond absurd and makes it cartoonish however.

Edited by Tennisgolfboll

In what world do you live on where having the option to make your characters female is considered "politically correct"?

FYI: women play video games.

I find it immersive breaking with to many women in the party. 6 100 - 150 pound women going up against all those enemies.

Did you know that they are outnumbered more than 100-1 in armed forces across the globe?

I see you missed my point completely. The point was there are.

Just how old are you?

Older than you, apparently.

In what world do you live on where having the option to make your characters female is considered "politically correct"?

FYI: women play video games.

Did you know that they are outnumbered more than 100-1 in armed forces across the globe?
I see you missed my point completely. The point was there are.

Just how old are you?

Older than you, apparently.
No the point is they are rare, much more rare than my poe party. And you did not even see that your own example shows that.

But i dont care if you have 5 orlan females weighing 40 pounds each killing dragons. I however dont enjoy playing like that, its a cartoon to me. So i will never have a 5 women party.

Edit

And no you are not older than me. Your posts show me that.

Edited by Tennisgolfboll

Did you just tell me what my own point I was making was?

Do you have telepathy?

Nope im not a cipher!

But i will try and make it really simple for you.

Me: having many women in a warparty is a cartoon for me i cant play like that. My cap is 2 out of 6.

You: women serve in armed forces

Me: yeah less than 1 out of 100, and much lower in combat units. Hell there are more children than women in such units. This is why i cant have to many women, my numbers at 2 out of 6 is borderline a joke allready!

Edited by Tennisgolfboll

*rolls eyes*

No, I understood you, the number is still irrelevant. But thanks for assuming I'm just stupid.

The point is that woman are in the military at all. You attributing real world blueprints such as HOW MANY WOMEN ARE IN THE MILITARY and WEIGHT to a fantasy game is just... why? If you're constantly on the look out for "inconsistency" or whatnot, how are you possibly going to have any fun? Does it really matter to you that much that there are female wizards in a fantasy game?

Does it matter to you that much that other people are playing female PMs that you have to come into a forum thread and state that you think it is unnatural (well, I mean, unnatural except if they are love interests, according to you)? 

If there was 1 woman for every 200 men in the military, you'd only need about 1200 men to make a 6 woman adventuring party. :p

Mind you IMO in fantasy games when you start throwing magic around, gender differences are kind of meaningless.  Even if not treating physical differences in strength between genders, two ciphers, two mages, a priest and a druid could be just as effective a party as the typical adventuring party, and the use of magic/psionics/shapeshifting/etc. doesn't really have a real world gender relationship.

"No sorry, a woman shape-shifted into a anthropomorphic bear would NEVER be strong enough to hit that dude..." just fails as an argument from the get-go. ;)

That said, if someone wants to play an all male party/mostly male party because of some sense of personal verisimilitude, it really doesn't affect me provided I still have the ability to do my own thing.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

But i dont care if you have 5 orlan females weighing 40 pounds each killing dragons. I however dont enjoy playing like that, its a cartoon to me. So i will never have a 5 women party.

I think Orlans are a bad species to make your point, since it's been confirmed that their gender dimorphism is clearly in favor of the women.

There is also the "issue" of the different species. Because, I guess that statistically a party entirely made up of human women fighters would have a slight weight and upper body strenght disadvantage when compared to a party of human men fighters, but the later would have the same exact disadvantage (arguably even more pronounced) if they fight a party made up of Amaua women fighters.

Edited by Sannom
  • Like 1

I never make strictly physical female frontliners like fighters or barbs, and I also never make female wizards (i treat them as fantasy mathematicians/programmers/nerds among which females are exceedingly rare, plus evil wizard is usually my self insert character). I'm ok with female priests, druids, rogues etc. Overall it depends on available characters and portraits/models I like. For my first custom party I ended up with 4 male and 2 female.

I think Orlans are a bad species to make your point, since it's been confirmed that their gender dimorphism is clearly in favor of the women.

Prejudice trumps context.

And before I'm accused of generalizing Tennis' position, he threw that defense out the window the minute he went "girls as warriors? NO WAY. Girl as romance? YES".

Edited by Bryy

Mine is usually random - I go by the appearance of the portrait and the character model. I generally choose female characters because I think they're modeled better. The recent exception to this was Divinity - I played a male Battlemage with a huge white moustache and dreadlocks.

*rolls eyes*

No, I understood you, the number is still irrelevant. But thanks for assuming I'm just stupid.

The point is that woman are in the military at all. You attributing real world blueprints such as HOW MANY WOMEN ARE IN THE MILITARY and WEIGHT to a fantasy game is just... why? If you're constantly on the look out for "inconsistency" or whatnot, how are you possibly going to have any fun? Does it really matter to you that much that there are female wizards in a fantasy game?

Does it matter to you that much that other people are playing female PMs that you have to come into a forum thread and state that you think it is unnatural (well, I mean, unnatural except if they are love interests, according to you)?

I dont care if all your npcs are women. Not one bit.

However i think its a cartoon with all/majority female parties. I have no problems with your opinion, but you seem to have a problem with mine.

I only spoke of the real world combat units because YOU brought it up

Edited by Tennisgolfboll

If there was 1 woman for every 200 men in the military, you'd only need about 1200 men to make a 6 woman adventuring party. :p

Mind you IMO in fantasy games when you start throwing magic around, gender differences are kind of meaningless. Even if not treating physical differences in strength between genders, two ciphers, two mages, a priest and a druid could be just as effective a party as the typical adventuring party, and the use of magic/psionics/shapeshifting/etc. doesn't really have a real world gender relationship.

"No sorry, a woman shape-shifted into a anthropomorphic bear would NEVER be strong enough to hit that dude..." just fails as an argument from the get-go. ;)

That said, if someone wants to play an all male party/mostly male party because of some sense of personal verisimilitude, it really doesn't affect me provided I still have the ability to do my own thing.

Some good points.

I find that the more such absurd things as turn into a bear, women fighting dragons etc there is the harder it is to suspend my disbelief. This is how all fantasy works.

I am sure you would find it hard to accept that your party can fly, use tactical nukes from their fingers, and morph to dragons at will. Its just to much. A cartoon. The difference between us is that my views (which are rooted in the real world) dont think all female parties are the ****.

You are however so indoctrinated (contrary to how the real world works) with denying gender difference that you just dont see how absurd such things are

I never make strictly physical female frontliners like fighters or barbs, and I also never make female wizards (i treat them as fantasy mathematicians/programmers/nerds among which females are exceedingly rare, plus evil wizard is usually my self insert character). I'm ok with female priests, druids, rogues etc. Overall it depends on available characters and portraits/models I like. For my first custom party I ended up with 4 male and 2 female.

I also prefer this.

But im ok with female warriors (yes more suspended disbelief but one i can buy not 6, if it is as well made as calisca, she was perfect as a warrior, maybe could have been rogue)

To bad she bites the dust

I feel that we are blowing this out of proportion. The actual differences here are small.

I have yet to do a single custom character. So lifeless. Hard time suspending my disbelief when there are such good alternatives. Pallegina, Durance, Eder, Calisca the rogue that you can romance...oh wait the last part was jst wishful thinking

Mind you IMO in fantasy games when you start throwing magic around, gender differences are kind of meaningless. Even if not treating physical differences in strength between genders, two ciphers, two mages, a priest and a druid could be just as effective a party as the typical adventuring party, and the use of magic/psionics/shapeshifting/etc. doesn't really have a real world gender relationship.

Some good points.

I find that the more such absurd things as turn into a bear, women fighting dragons etc there is the harder it is to suspend my disbelief. This is how all fantasy works.

I am sure you would find it hard to accept that your party can fly, use tactical nukes from their fingers, and morph to dragons at will. Its just to much. A cartoon. The difference between us is that my views (which are rooted in the real world) dont think all female parties are the ****.

You are however so indoctrinated (contrary to how the real world works) with denying gender difference that you just dont see how absurd such things are

In the real world having your whole body covered in flames leaves you dead or scarred for life. In the game you shrug it off and keep going. How do you deal with this fact?

Some good points.

In the real world having your whole body covered in flames leaves you dead or scarred for life. In the game you shrug it off and keep going. How do you deal with this fact?

This is evident in my other posts. Reading is your friend

• Like 1

Some good points.

Again, I have no issue if an all-female party (or even majority) breaks your personal verisimilitude - its your game and you should play it the way it makes you happy!  If that means all or mostly male parties and females only in certain roles - the game supports that.  And that's why I think these kind of games are great, you can build what works for you.

And while I'll concur that the strength in the top 100th percentile man is going to be stronger than the top 100th percentile woman in real life, I - personally - don't have a problem with superior strength frontline fighter women in a fantasy setting, because its a fantasy setting (and at any rate, the top 100th percentile woman is still going to be stronger than, something like 80 - 90% of dudes anyhow when you're talking about elite levels).

I'll also say, I have no issue with a game enforcing gender differences (there have been several that have given a +1 str to guys and a -1 str to gals; the biggest problem is the in game balance solutions to make dudettes still viable as party members are usually not well thought out and/or completely arbitrary).  I know a lot of people hate this sort of thing, but I've never found it to break a game.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Huh. Guess I never really thought about it. If I make the party it is generally roughly 50-50. It is a fantasy world so I fret about female physical strength issues about as much as I fret about my party's dental hygiene.

Edited by Valmy
  • Like 2

My party brushes and flosses after each meal, they're just awesome that way.

• Like 2

I do not mind any way, I just go via portraits and the feel for the character I want. A female barbarian or fighter or rogue etc will feel different to play than a male one, but I am happy to imagine either depending on my vision for the party. The only thing I cannot seem to do is play my main character as a female, it just seems to seriously break immersion for me, I tried thinking I did not care, but I did. My next character I want to main is a wild Orlan Chanter and I prefer the female chant and portrait, so it is quite the dilemma   :getlost: Would not mind having the exact same character as a party member but the chanter stats will be nice for conversation options  ;(

6ej155.jpg

Huh. Guess I never really thought about it. If I make the party it is generally roughly 50-50. It is a fantasy world so I fret about female physical strength issues about as much as I fret about my party's dental hygiene.

With all that water in Dyrwood my party is very clean but they do not floss.  They're more worried about keeping their armour dry.  :w00t:

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Just because you think you made sense doesn't mean you did.

Stop treating everyone else like idiots just because they disagree with you. You say you're fine with other people playing how they want, but then you say crap like this and how they are "indoctrinated" for having female party members. I was willing to let it go, but you keep jabbing at other people for either "playing wrong" or "not reading". My initial comment was about your views on women, but you are the one that keeps bringing up how others are brainwashed for having female party members.

Edited by Bryy

Just because you think you made sense doesn't mean you did.

Stop treating everyone else like idiots just because they disagree with you. You say you're fine with other people playing how they want, but then you say crap like this and how they are "indoctrinated" for having female party members. I was willing to let it go, but you keep jabbing at other people for either "playing wrong" or "not reading". My initial comment was about your views on women, but you are the one that keeps bringing up how others are brainwashed for having female party members.

You project so much. I never called you an idiot.

Relax