Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

As a minority speaking for only one minority (hint: it's me) I can't say I care that nobody looks like me in a game based fantasy version of a time and place where nobody looked like me.

But that's just me and others may hold a wro.. uh, different opinion

Don't worry, the brave journalists are quite busy being offended on your behalf. Stay safe!

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Their loss for their own stupidity then. With that mindset, i would've never played any of the Final Fantasy games. Why on earth Polygon thinks that this is good idea stems either from something very sinister or just very ignorant.

It's funny, in the US blacks are a huge portion of the fighting game scene. In the times I've gone to tournaments, I've never seen an overall bias towards playing toons that matched the player's race. Honestly, this stuff from Polygon reads like something that comes from someone whose interactions with non-whites is practically non-existent.

And as to placing non-white characters in the Witcher, how would you go about this? Almost every established character is white, and I don't really see making some random quest-giver with three lines a mestizo will be a deal breaker for someone ho just wants to kill monsters. I guess all non-whites I know have internalized something because they don't seem to care about the racial diversity in fiction.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

As a minority speaking for only one minority (hint: it's me) I can't say I care that nobody looks like me in a game based fantasy version of a time and place where nobody looked like me.

But that's just me and others may hold a wro.. uh, different opinion

But you someone who is very confident about his race, who you are and what you have achieved

I don't think you need someone trying to make you feel better ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I for one would not have been half as interested in the Witcher if it had not built up a great sense of internal consistency in its gameworld, if it had had the usual boring AD&D setting, or did not include the Slavic cultural mores which made it so unique and exotic. Then again we can't have something unique, distinct and rare can we? We've got to turn everything into a dull paint by numbers politically correct sermon.

But its really a fantasy realm so why not just include minorities? It can still be very Slavic but I don't see the big deal?

The big deal is 

1) Is that it is quite racist to include minorities for the sake of them being minorities.

2) The double standard. No one is forcing the Japanese/Asian market to include whites or blacks in their games.

I know I will fail to convince you but its not racist if its intention is to be inclusive and we don't need  other cultures to prompt the white\European race...we already dominate on most levels 

Racism is still racism despite with "good" intensions, nice try though. Who's "we?" not needing to prompt european race? Who are you talking about? Why is it morally right for any artist pursue this racial/cultural propaganda and why should companies profit from it?

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Abused morals as well such as Foltest's relationship with his sister, frowned upon and birthing mostrosities such as the Striga as just punishment.

...That's not what happened at all.

2) The double standard. No one is forcing the Japanese/Asian market to include whites or blacks in their games.

Technically, no one is forcing Western developers to include minorities in their games either.

I'm saying it shouldn't matter. White people don't have a responsibility to tell stories about brown people, and vice versa.

Absolutely. It's totally a fair thing to say "we don't think minority representation is a priority in our game". It's a valid artistic choice. But a (minority) consumer's choice to not buy the game based on this artistic choice is just as valid, which is the entire point of the article.

Their loss for their own stupidity then. With that mindset, i would've never played any of the Final Fantasy games. Why on earth Polygon thinks that this is good idea stems either from something very sinister or just very ignorant.

This thing right here, exactly this, is what the article was about  :rolleyes:

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I for one would not have been half as interested in the Witcher if it had not built up a great sense of internal consistency in its gameworld, if it had had the usual boring AD&D setting, or did not include the Slavic cultural mores which made it so unique and exotic. Then again we can't have something unique, distinct and rare can we? We've got to turn everything into a dull paint by numbers politically correct sermon.

But its really a fantasy realm so why not just include minorities? It can still be very Slavic but I don't see the big deal?

The big deal is 

1) Is that it is quite racist to include minorities for the sake of them being minorities.

I know I will fail to convince you but its not racist if its intention is to be inclusive and we don't need  other cultures to prompt the white\European race...we already dominate on most levels 

Racism is still racism despite with "good" intensions, nice try though. Who's "we?" not needing to prompt european race? Who are you talking about? Why is it morally right for any artist pursue this racial/cultural propaganda and why should companies profit from it?

I think you are misusing the word " racism " ...what is your definition of racism in this case?

Why do you feel Japanese games have to now feature European people?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Technically, no one is forcing Western developers to include minorities in their games either.

If you want to split hairs, then you got a point. There's *no push* then from media or the intelligentia for japanese/asian game companies to include non-asians.

I'm saying it shouldn't matter. White people don't have a responsibility to tell stories about brown people, and vice versa.

Absolutely. It's totally a fair thing to say "we don't think minority representation is a priority in our game". It's a valid artistic choice. But a (minority) consumer's choice to not buy the game based on this artistic choice is just as valid, which is the entire point of the article.

This thing right here, exactly this, is what the article was about  rolleyes.gif

??

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

If you want to split hairs, then you got a point. There's *no push* then from media or the intelligentia for japanese/asian game companies to include non-asians.

It would be hair-splitting if the... "push from media and intelligentsia", as you phrase it, had a realistic chance of achieving any effect whatsoever on how big-budget games are produced.

But it doesn't.

This thing right here, exactly this, is what the article was about  rolleyes.gif

??

That minority consumers maybe, just maybe, should be able to voice their complaints of underrepresentation without being insulted and shouted down.

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

The big deal is 

I think you are misusing the word " racism " ...what is your definition of racism in this case?

Answer my questions first.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

The big deal is 

Okay,  "we"  is the general European\White race

I meant to say " we have no need to promote the White race "  

John Milton 

It would be hair-splitting if the... "push from media and intelligentsia", as you phrase it, had a realistic chance of achieving any effect whatsoever on how big-budget games are produced.

But it doesn't.

This thing right here, exactly this, is what the article was about  rolleyes.gif

??

That minority consumers maybe, just maybe, should be able to voice their complaints of underrepresentation without being insulted and shouted down.

No, it is about having games made by white people in white countries based on white culture to be changed to suit the possible needs of minorities in other countries. That's insanity.

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

The big deal is 

Hahahaha, i'm done.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

The big deal is 

Racism is the belief that races have characteristics that make some superior and others inferior.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

But it doesn't.

??

No, it is about having games made by white people in white countries based on white culture to be changed to suit the possible needs of minorities in other countries. That's insanity.

Thats another thing. When we talk about Minority Representation, who's minorities are we talking about?

Devastatorsig.jpg

The big deal is 

Racism is the belief that races have characteristics that make some superior and others inferior.

Okay so how would integrating minority groups in a game like W3 be racist?

John Milton 

The big deal is 

Hahahaha, i'm done.

Do you mind sharing why you are done ?

John Milton 

The big deal is 

Hahahaha, i'm done.

Because trying to tell whites that their race and culture should not be promoted is quite evil, is it not? Like there is a certain layer of what the human expression of oneself can go before someone else puts an arbitrary stop-sign telling them that their culture just have had enough.

I thought that we all worked from on the dream MLK had as a base. Maybe he was wrong after all...

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

The big deal is 

Hahahaha, i'm done.

Because trying to tell whites that their race and culture should not be promoted is quite evil, is it not? Like there is a certain layer of what the human expression of oneself can go before someone else puts an arbitrary stop-sign telling them that their culture just have had enough.

I thought that we all worked from on the dream MLK had as a base. Maybe he was wrong after all...

Dude...seriously? 

I would like others to comment ..." do you guys think the European\White race  needs to be promoted in our modern age " 

John Milton 

The big deal is 

Okay so how would integrating minority groups in a game like W3 be racist?

Integrating them into a game like W3 isn't racist, saying that white-centric game needs PoCs, but a PoC-centric game doesn't is racist. Its saying the white game is inferior without the inclusion of PoC, but the PoC one is just fine without white people.

Its perfectly fine to have minority representation in your games, but its also perfectly fine not to.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

video games - affects unconscious attitudes, not behaviors

So it's about thought control.

...aimed at the global market, making it just as fair a target for cultural criticism as any other game.

And when that cultural criticism is narrow-minded and embarrassingly americentric, it's fair to criticise the criticism.

• Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

the market can sort out whether there are buyers

That's exactly what the SJW's resent though. They don't want games to be entertainment products subject to competition and supply & demand; they want them to be just another medium for the political "education" of the masses.

Really, the various responses to the new Steam refunds policy show quite clearly the difference between:

• reality-grounded developers, who do what they do as and for gamers and out of love for gaming...

Ncx7kdD.png

and

• economically-illiterate, anti-gamer, narcissistic, SJW hipster developers...

m9QcwiE.png

Edited by Ineth

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

^Like clockwork.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

The big deal is 

Hahahaha, i'm done.

Dude...seriously?

What? Either you judge a man by the content of his character or by the color of his skin. Are you not now judging by the color of people's skin with all these minority quotas and by proclaiming gaming as too white?

Based on the latest developments, it seems like that ideal has sailed long ago and replaced by racial tokenism.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Have you even read the article you're talking about in entirety, or just grabbed a screencap that reinforces your biases and launched into a frothing tirade as per the usual modus operandi of this topic?

saying that white-centric game needs PoCs, but a PoC-centric game doesn't is racist.

Not if you go by the definition of racism as "prejudice plus power".

video games - affects unconscious attitudes, not behaviors

So it's about thought control.

Yes. Exactly. Congratulations, you have grasped the issue perfectly. That's what it was about all along.

Moron.

Have you even read the article you're talking about in entirety, or just grabbed a screencap that reinforces your biases and launched into a frothing tirade as per the usual modus operandi of this topic?

Yes.

saying that white-centric game needs PoCs, but a PoC-centric game doesn't is racist.

Not if you go by the definition of racism as "prejudice plus power".

Haven't we already uniformally dismissed that definition since it's a joke? "All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others" and all that.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy