So how does this "threat" thing even work, if it's in the game at all?

So I've started a potd game, where my main character is a melee rogue (yeah I know. I hate myself), among an all-custom group. The issue I currently have, is that when my rogue sneak attacks a target that is currently engaged and targeted by my tank, that target will almost without fail instantly turn around and stab me in my face. Which I assume is quite logical, given that my tanks are buildt for being impossible to hurt while having difficulty swatting a fly sufficiently hard to kill it.

I'm just wondering if it would be different if my tanks where not fighting with foam swords? If they where effectively damaging the target, would it even matter? How much would it matter? Is there a threshold that I have to stay below before they switch target (for instance "when [char] >200% current target total delivered damage -> switch target")? Does the Might stat influence it ("dude he looks terrifying, let's kill him first"), or is it based on actual damage done? Does threat ever drop (for instance, charm?). Can a tank build threat for a while, so the target doesn't switch immediately? Does 1dmg = 1 "threat" or does it factor in things like burst and damage done in a specific/short timeframe? Etc. etc.

I feel there's a lot I have no idea about how works regarding tanking and other melee characters, especially since I didn't have a melee dps on my first playthrough with more "real" characters. Any insight is appreciated!

When a monster can target multiple characters without breaking engagement, it will always target the one with the lowest deflection (which is the smart thing to do).  So to keep on a tank, you have to lower its deflection (by for instance switching to a two handed weapon) and raise deflection on your rogue (by for instance equipping a shield or drinking a potion). 

An interesting implication of this is that deflection is not necessarily a good stat on a tank!

When a monster can target multiple characters without breaking engagement, it will always target the one with the lowest deflection (which is the smart thing to do).  So to keep on a tank, you have to lower its deflection (by for instance switching to a two handed weapon) and raise deflection on your rogue (by for instance equipping a shield or drinking a potion). 

An interesting implication of this is that deflection is not necessarily a good stat on a tank!

Really? I mean... REALLY? That is an incredibly usefull and tangible piece of information! If that is all there is to it, I just might rethink my entire team. Huh'...

No, the best melee rogue dual-wields very accurate and/or life-leech weapons and takes advantage of flanking and other penalties. Because then the enemy you are 'engaging' dies in a few seconds, so it doesn't matter which way it's facing. 

• Like 2

Enemies switching targets in melee is not always the case.

I frequently use Grieving Mother with dual-wield daggers on cloth armor for maximum focus regeneration. Sometimes she gets attacked (which doesn't matter because she can literally perma-stun a single enemy anyway), sometimes not. I haven't figured out a pattern on that yet.

Single Tank (meaning Deflection and Dr through the roof) and (in my case an Animal Companion as secondary Blocker) and then Range/Spell blast everything.

Concentrated fire on single opponent, then move to the next. 

Always do Spellcasters first (they explode nicely under concentrated fire).

Tank and spank.

I also play a rogue PC on PoTD. It's true that he's been knocked out the most times according to party stats, but I generally focus fire whatever my Rogue's targeting to prevent "drawing aggro" ever becoming a big issue.

In the late game phase (act 3) and my rogue doesn't really have this problem anymore since you have a bunch of buttons to get out of bad situations: escape, shadowing beyond, priest spell - withdraw, knockdown etc.

The biggest reason I stopped getting knocked down however is a fundamental change in mindset: I don't view my Rogue as exclusively "melee" anymore.

If there's a hallway I can block then I'll clog it up with my tank and shoot & blast away with spells and ranged.

If it's a more open engagement then I'll throw most of my disables at my Rogue target to prevent the enemy really having time to do much to my rogue before it gets killed.