Rapiers have a speed rating of fast, spears have a speed rating of average.  Both weapons are accurate and piercing.

Which is ultimately better?

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Rapiers have a speed rating of fast, spears have a speed rating of average.  Both weapons are accurate and piercing.

blue. no, green.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

If the numbers I've seen are right -- and maybe they're not -- a full attack cycle with dual fast weapons is 44 frames and with average it's 66.

The base damage of spears is 11 to 16, and rapiers is 9 to 13.  

In damage per frame, that means spears are .16 to .24, and rapiers are .2 to .29.

But this is against 0 DR and with no penetration; against DR spears will start looking better, and I'm too lazy to bother with the math to find the breakeven point.

My personal thought is the whole point of dual wielding is to attack as quickly as possible, so might as well go for the fastest available weapons.

Honestly, you should decide based less on Rapiers vs. Spears, and more based on what other 1h weapons are grouped with them under Weapon Focus. Noble gets you Rapiers alongside Maces (DR penetration is slick) and Daggers (ehhhh). Peasant gets you Spears and Hatchets (uniquely good for increasing your durability). If you think you'll need DR penetration, go for Noble. If you think you'll need extra defense, go for Hatchets.

On the magic item front, spears are better off than rapiers, and maces are better off than hatchets.

Personally, I'd go for spears.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Spears are better against enemies with high DR and rapiers against enemies with no DR or low DR.  Although rapiers become better again against those enemies that have high enough DR to make you only to do minimum damage.

Spears are in peasant weapon focus section with quarterstaffs (two handed, 14-20 crush, reach, slow), hatchets (+5 deflection, 9-13 slash, fast) and hunting bow (ranged, 9-14 pierce, fast), unarmed. Rapiers are in noble weapon focus section, where there is also daggers (slash, +5 accuracy, fast, single handed), maces (3 DR bypass, 11-16 crush, single handed, average), scepters (ranged, fast, 11-16 crush/slash)  and rods (11-16 pierce/slash, ranged, fast).  So in most part secondary weapon options are better for rapier than spear.

There are pretty good unique rapiers and spears in the game.

Sword of Daenysis - 1.2 x speed and rending [5 DR bypass])

Vierina’s Leaves - 1.2 x damage against prone, stunned and flanked enemies has also superb enchantment outright)

Cladhalíath - enchantments depend on your choices but some combinations are pretty good.

The Vile Loner’s Lance - Disorienting (-5 to all defenses for 5 seconds on hit)

Danulya - 1.2 x attack speed

So I would probably choose double rapier (double mace, dagger+mace or rod/scepter) because its secondary weapon options, but double spear+ quarterstaff combination is also quite good. 

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 1

Atleast while you are leveling , dont take talents that makes you use one or another weapon type , also use the best weapons you can get and by the time you are lvl 12th you will know what you want spear or rapier , because for now you might aswell just end up using A rapier in 1 hand and spear in other 

If you are a fighter and trying to put out damage then you'll want to make use of the fighter only weapon specialization and mastery abilities for an additional +25% damage to the entire weapon group.

With that in mind the peasant focus gets you hunting bows for range, quarterstaffs for two handed with reach, daggers, spears, hatchets and fists. The noble group does get maces which have a DR penetrating ability but are stuck with the terrible scepters and rods for ranged weapons and no two handed option.

Depends on weapons with unique enchants you find.

If you're asking what weapon focus to get early on, I wouldn't do that... trading flexibility and two talents for just +6 accuracy and + 0.15 damage mod is usually a bad idea.

Edited by Daemonjax