[1.04] Music absolutely murdered by patch

thelee

Question

My music is now heavily distorted and warped after installing the 1.04 patch. Normal SFX appear to be fine.

I don't know what to do about this (other than set music volume to 0%).

Anyone else have this? I can't imagine I'm the only one with such a severe problem, which makes me wonder how no one had this in QA/Beta.

EDIT: the opening music (that starts playing when Obsidian Entertainment shows up) sometimes snaps to and becomes correct after a few seconds, but the main menu music stays bad no matter what.

It's hard to describe, it's like static-y, slowed down, and distorted. I'd provide a save game, but it happens right from the get-go.

EDIT 2: loaded a game, the music is also broken in game. 0% music volume it is.

Please fix!

Edited by thelee

9 answers to this question

Actually, now that I'm playing the game, normal SFX (speech, sound effects, ambient noise) occasionally surfaces the same problem, little *pops* in the sound, though nothing nearly as bad as what's happening to the music.

C'mon guys! What is this??

Guest Matt Sheets

Please attempt to verify the integrity of the your game cache.

If you right click the game in your library, select properties, select the local files tab, and then select verify integrity of the game cache.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, please attach your system specs/dxdiag and output log.

Output Log

When the issue occurs, close the game client, find this file, then attach it to your post

Windows Steam Location: \Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log.txt

Mac Location: Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

Linux Location: $Home/.config/unity3d/Obsidian Entertainment/Pillars of Eternity/Player.log

System Specs

This will give us most of your computer specs to help us diagnose the problem

Windows Location: Press (windowkey + R), Type "dxdiag" and press Enter, Click "Save All Information", Attach the file that you create

Mac Location: Click the Apple button in the corner of the screen, Click "About This Mac", Click "More Info", Copy and paste the Model and Year, Processor, Memory, Graphics, and Software information

Linux Location: Search for "system", Click "System Settings", Click "Details", Copy and paste all information

No problem here.

See what you change on your system. (driver update?)

Nothing changed on my system other than this patch. I played the game just fine yesterday pre-patch. The moment I start it up after patch installed, all sorts of music and sound distortion.

Working on verifying game cache and getting dxdiag...

EDIT: correction, it's possible that there was a windows system update, since I had to re-log in to my PC which only happens when an automatic reboot happens overnight.

Edited by thelee

0. Put game music back at my normal setting (85%; I also tried 100% just in case that mattered, but just made the distortion louder)

1. Verified integrity of game cache. Didn't do anything.

2. Had an nVidia driver update awaiting, since I use its HD Audio, gave that a try. Didn't do anything.

3. don't know how to "attach" dxdiag file, so here is a dropbox share link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rtbtjqmz4mjn4g8/DxDiag.txt?dl=0

4. same thing with output log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5kozs0pyc44misj/output_log.txt?dl=0

Curiously, I tried to use nvidia's shadowplay to record the effect for evidence, but the simple act of running the game with it enabled mitigated it to a large degree (though it still occasionally popped). Turning it back off brought the effect back full force. Could have just been coincidence, but eh...

Anyway, back to playing with 0% music.

Please attempt to verify the integrity of the your game cache.

If you right click the game in your library, select properties, select the local files tab, and then select verify integrity of the game cache.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, please attach your system specs/dxdiag and output log.

Output Log

When the issue occurs, close the game client, find this file, then attach it to your post

Windows Steam Location: \Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log.txt

Mac Location: Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

Linux Location: $Home/.config/unity3d/Obsidian Entertainment/Pillars of Eternity/Player.log

System Specs

This will give us most of your computer specs to help us diagnose the problem

Windows Location: Press (windowkey + R), Type "dxdiag" and press Enter, Click "Save All Information", Attach the file that you create

Mac Location: Click the Apple button in the corner of the screen, Click "About This Mac", Click "More Info", Copy and paste the Model and Year, Processor, Memory, Graphics, and Software information

Linux Location: Search for "system", Click "System Settings", Click "Details", Copy and paste all information

well WTF.

I rebooted, and everything is working just fine now.

GRRRRRRR I'm a software engineer and this kind of stuff makes me insane.

Cue requisite IT Crowd "Have you tried turning it off and on" montage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2FB1P_Mn8

Are you currently experiencing a power outage in your area?

Is your computer currently turned on?

Does your VCR blink 12:00? Wait, you have a VCR?

A few helpful standard IT questions from my past....

Incidentally, if you want to make rebooting sound impressive, you call it power cycling. Have you power cycled your system? Some people will think you have really "innovative" troubleshooting ideas if you ask them this.

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

well WTF.

I rebooted, and everything is working just fine now.

GRRRRRRR I'm a software engineer and this kind of stuff makes me insane.

Cue requisite IT Crowd "Have you tried turning it off and on" montage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2FB1P_Mn8

Are you currently experiencing a power outage in your area?

Is your computer currently turned on?

Does your VCR blink 12:00? Wait, you have a VCR?

A few helpful standard IT questions from my past....

Incidentally, if you want to make rebooting sound impressive, you call it power cycling. Have you power cycled your system? Some people will think you have really "innovative" troubleshooting ideas if you ask them this.

Have you tried damming up the electron flow and then releasing it again?

• Like 2

omg, :lol:

Gotta mention this one to my husband.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts