Can we get a modding sub-forum?

Oh, and moderators, if you are there, at your Soon™, would it be possible to allow thread starters in the modding forum, to have permanent edit permission for the first post? In order to keep the first post of the mods fresh and updated without the need to proxy edits via a moderator.

It's not possible for us to set individual or group-wide edit rights, I'm afraid. It's all or nothing with the board system.

• Like 1

Bumpity bump sat on a stump

I heard through the grapevine that a modding forum might be popping up pretty soon if nothing bad happens. But with the launch of White March, it's a little busy and a lot of threads may end up sliding past the age cutoff. If there are threads that you guys consider essential to the new board, it'd be really helpful in speeding up the process if you could post links to them here.

• Like 3

That is great news!!

I really think this will do a lot for modding, especially given the new interest generated in Pillars of Eternity.

These don't look like they're going to die, but just in case:

This one is mine, related to IE Mod: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/81063-iemod-fork-new-modding-framework/ 

This one because otherwise the question will probably be asked again: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/81291-ie-mod-and-20/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dear TrueNeutral,

is it now Soon™? I waited patiently an other week but can not see the modding forum.

Regards

Xaratas

I suggest looking up the origin of 'Soon™'. A trademark not originated by Obsidian nor on it's forums. ;)

A summation of the meaning of 'Soon™' though would be: 'who knows when.. .maybe never.. maybe even tomorrow, but probably not'.

It's still on the docket, submitted a couple of days ago so it should be coming pretty soon. I'd give you exact times if I had them, but I don't. I believe (and this is pure speculation on my part) the wait is related to figuring out some legal issues, although most of those have been ironed out in the new guidelines for fan creations - https://eternity.obsidian.net/legal/ip-use

Interesting read.

I will add a few questions:

Why is Obsidian not required to give credits if they use a Fan Project in any way? Isn't that common sense too? If I, for example, write a thesis I have to name the source and the name of anyone which I cite.

Why is Obsidian not required to post/ announce changes to the ip-use more broadly? If its at one point in time changes on this one page, who should know about the fact it changed?

So does it mean Obsidian can do whatever they want not only with modified parts of their own games, but also new assets (i.e. art) created entirely by modders?

Generally that's what game companies do. Fans are generally ok with this, though not all modders are. The legality of it all is questionable of course, but unless someone ever challenges it, it is what it is. It's generally not financially worth it to challenge it, even if one wanted to. And that's the story with a great many things in the computer gaming world, and just the world in general.

I wouldn't sweat it either way. If you want to make a mod, make a mod. If you don't, don't. Just be prepared that Obsidian (or pretty much any other game company that makes a game you make a mod for) will want a piece of any $$$ pie, and very well may take the design from your mod and put it into their game.