Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

> Preview < Pillars of Eternity Quest Editor

modding questeditor mod

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Xaratas

Xaratas

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

First @mods: Where is the modding section?

Pillars of Eternity Quest editor

Its here: https://xaratas.github.io/

Version 0.1: Works in FF 38 :) , *edit* does work in Chrome 43 but draws the lines wrong :mellow: , *edit 2* tested IE 11 its totally not working :(

What can version 0.1 do?

* Load .quest and .conversation files and display parts (conditions, scripts) of them (other parts are not implemented)

* Make the Structure in the xml files visible by drawing interconnections between the nodes.

* Edit Comments and IDs (just to test the edit features of polymer, the underlying library)

* Connect nodes via drag and drop

* Reprint modified XML to the browser console (only the implemented parts, its currently not useable ingame)

As this forum limits the time one can edit posts watch the end of the thread for updates.

Suggestions, improvements, coding help: Be invited by posting here or fork https://github.com/X...ty-Quest-Editor

Documentation of the PoE quest system: http://pillarsofeter...dia.com/Modding

Misses the documentation of useable function calls, help therefor is appreciated. Easiest way to obtain the functions is IL Spy, see the PoE Modding Framework setup guide.

Attached Files

Edited by Xaratas, 01 June 2015 - 01:14 PM.

• Cantousent, Starwars, Suen and 12 others like this

Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 899 posts

Holy ****! I'm always amazed at what community modders are capable of. This is the first step into "new quests for the masses" territory.

Now what we need next is a simple 3rd party editor that allows creating and placing custom NPCs and monsters.

When this is done, I'll volunteer on finishing the "render custom landscapes PoE-style in Maya" tutorial I started long ago.

I hope we will see the first companion or stronghold mods soon.

Edited by Zwiebelchen, 01 June 2015 - 04:24 AM.

• mashamoshpit likes this

Marky

Marky

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

This puts the modding community really close towards making the first companion mod. Well done Xaratas.

Bubbles

Bubbles

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 172 posts

You could already do everything this version of the editor does by going through the files manually. It's just less of a hassle now.

Xaratas

Xaratas

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

You could already do everything this version of the editor does by going through the files manually. It's just less of a hassle now.

Of course, but seeing the connections in the xml files is quite hard. There comes a graphic representation handy.

Also the documentation of the quest system and script functions are, besides of my beginnigs, not existing. Its actually quite a hassle. And the part with the uuids I still haven't understand fully.

Xaratas

Xaratas

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

So, thanks to the Polymer dev team i got a way to fix the lines. Chrome 43 is now working :)

Contains also a fix for the conditionals.

Next is to show Texts for the Nodes, which could take a few days of sparetime.

*edit* Rudimentary stringtable support is in my dev version. Needs a bit of polishing ;)

Edited by Xaratas, 04 June 2015 - 02:52 PM.

• Silent Winter and Marky like this

Xaratas

Xaratas

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

@mods could you enable .conversation, .quest and .stringtable as allowed fileupload extensions?

Version 0.2: same place http://xaratas.github.io

XML complete for conversations, quests and stringtable files! Which means all xml tags are read and complete, valid xml can be exported. :w00t:

Highlighting of selected node and outgoing links from this node.

Stringtable connectable to conversations. Try the two files here in the spoiler tags. :cat:

All things, which can be changed (currently comments and strings) will be in the exported xml.

Excuse the look in chrome. I code in Firefox and run Chrome only to check if it works.

Cat conversation

Spoiler

Cat stringtable

Spoiler

Attached Files

• Doppelschwert, Marky and Gairnulf like this

Marky

Marky

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Nice. I have a noob question; why does it run via web browsers instead of as an .exe file?

vv221

vv221

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Nice. I have a noob question; why does it run via web browsers instead of as an .exe file?

A .exe file would work on Windows only. An in-browser app should work on any OS providing one of the supported browsers.
Plus, I suspect Xaratas has some experience in Web coding if he/she chose to use this kind of backend.
  • Marky likes this

Xaratas

Xaratas

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

A .exe file would work on Windows only. An in-browser app should work on any OS providing one of the supported browsers.
Plus, I suspect Xaratas has some experience in Web coding if he/she chose to use this kind of backend.

That and web is "cooler". Also i can try this polymer libary which is awesome in itself.

vv221

vv221

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

(…) web is "cooler".

We could debate for a long time about this ;)
But of course you should use the tools you like the most to develop your "pet projects", or frustration would come quite quickly.

(I’m more of a POSIX shell guy myself, and don’t know *anything* about GUI)
  • samm likes this

Evange

Evange

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 187 posts
Wow...always great to see the modding team in action!

Xaratas

Xaratas

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hey I have gotten a good hint why the IE don't want to play along, and now it works in IE 11 :) (without the drag and drop :mellow: ).

Xaratas

Xaratas

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

New features are ready :)

Drag and Drop in IE11 :)  Edit doesn't work in Chrome :( and IE :(. FF works :)

Ingoing links are now visible in blue, outgoing links are still green.

Editing!

Ever wanted to change the story text but it should still make sense? Possible! Now you can see who is speaking which text, and in what order the nodes occur.

Change the experience weight of a quest or the display type of a conversation? Possible!

A bit documentation of the known npcs:

http://pillarsofeter.../Modding/Quest/

Next steps

Make the conditions editable, find a usable way to change the speaking persons, enable editing of other values

And I need a design, if someone has something in mind, preferably in material design, he or she may please step forward.

Attached Files

• Starwars, Doppelschwert, Silent Winter and 3 others like this

Xaratas

Xaratas

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Small update: Chrome works now too, IE should also work but i haven't tested it.

Edited by Xaratas, 30 June 2015 - 02:04 PM.

Xaratas

Xaratas

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

New Version 0.2.8, same place: https://xaratas.github.io/ same minimum design and few new features:

* read the stringtable files for quests and display their contents.

* write stringtable files for quests to the console

Next is to get the scripts and conditionals editable. Needed documentation is here in the works http://pillarsofeter.../Modding/Quest/

There is still much to do to get the data together and into the editor.

*edit* Wikipage updated, so many conditonals, and script functions are even more. :unsure:

*edit2* Totally forgot example files

Quest Mercenaries for Hire

Spoiler

Texts for the quest

Spoiler

Attached Files

Edited by Xaratas, 12 July 2015 - 10:35 PM.

• Starwars, Doppelschwert, Marky and 3 others like this

Quantics

Quantics

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 324 posts
Wow, I'd completely missed that one.

Excellent job, and excellent news Xaratas. :)

Thalon

Thalon

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Just another newbie question: can I use it fo fix a broken quest? I have some trouble finishing Durance's quest, it's clearly bugged even after the latest patch (some dialogue options to discuss the vision about him are not showing up) and I just hoped to fix the dialogue/quest without cheating through consolle commands...

Edited by Thalon, 16 July 2015 - 11:23 AM.

Xaratas

Xaratas

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

With the current version its somewhat possible, it shows you the order of the options and the side effects of choosing each one. But you have currently to edit the option manually.  Or add an effect of setting the global variable to the correct value to advance the quest, which need some understanding of the global variables for that quest.

But i haven't explored the durance file yet, and as Eric Fenstermaker said its the biggest quest …, oh my, and i thought the Hearing at the ducs place with ~250 nodes was huge.

The files of the fix in the other thread should be the same as in the current patch, so they wont help you.

player1

player1

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

This would really be moved to different subforum, otherwise it will get lost in between bug reports.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: modding, questeditor, mod

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users