Yeah starting at level 9, something like pick one level 1 spell to become per encounter 2-3 times.

Level 11, pick one additional level 1 or 2 spell to become per encounter 2-3 times.

Level 13, pick one additional 1-3 spell to be per encounter.

What they have now does seem like too much sugar. But I haven't made it there, one thing the Wizard being weak, well before level 9 is a fallacy as well. Slicken followed by Fan of Flames is pretty powerful, level 1's.

• Like 2

Yeah starting at level 9, something like pick one level 1 spell to become per encounter 2-3 times.

This is actually a cool idea. Being able to pick a spell to become per-encounter.

Personally, I'd start it sooner.

Like, at level 4, pick a level 1 spell. You gain it as a once-per-encounter ability.

Trying to stop 'degenerative gameplay' in a stats-based system is like to stop water running through your fingers.

I'm sure Obsidian will try to Mcguyver this amusing quirk out of existence, lest someone is found to be enjoying themselves.

lol too true

I saw someone suggest that the switch to per-encounter spells should both start earlier and have more space in terms of character levels between getting the next level of spells; this seems like a good idea to me, for the sake of future balance considerations.

This. I think getting spell level x made into per encounter should happen every 5th level for simplicity.

5th gives your level 1 spells per encounter. 10th your level 2, 15th level 3, 20th level 4, etc.

I could even see an argument for a slower power creep.

I saw someone suggest that the switch to per-encounter spells should both start earlier and have more space in terms of character levels between getting the next level of spells; this seems like a good idea to me, for the sake of future balance considerations.

I'd prefer they be able to spend talents to make one spell (max limit of one spell per spell level) a once/per encounter cast.  That would start being available at level 3.

This is actually a cool idea. Being able to pick a spell to become per-encounter.

Personally, I'd start it sooner.

Like, at level 4, pick a level 1 spell. You gain it as a once-per-encounter ability.

Schools of magic... This would be a cool way to do it.