[BUG][1.03] Items disappear when dismissing a companion

Insolentius

Question

23 answers to this question

Can you remove all his items before dismissing him?

Home/Gaming PC: I7-9700K@4.9GHz/Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero/EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA /Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/LG 32GK850G 31.5"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound Blaster ZX/Samsung 970 EVO x2, 850 PRO x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR5 - TrackClip Pro

Can you remove all his items before dismissing him?

Yes. That's the only way to avoid this issue for the time being.

He keeps the items that he's wearing (in equipment and quick-access slots), but the items in his inventory go poof!

Are you sure he keeps his quick-slot items? I also am running into this problem, and quick-slots are wiped as well. It also needn't be Aloth. Edér is affected, so I assume it's everyone.

This wasn't an issue for me prior to today's patch.

Playing on Windows 7 x64.

This is certainly still happening, on a save created in 1.03 and only ever played in 1.03. Just drop an item in a follower's inventory, dismiss and recall that follower and the item is gone - it's not in the stash, any follower's inventory or in any of the Brighthollow chests.

Are you sure he keeps his quick-slot items? I also am running into this problem, and quick-slots are wiped as well. It also needn't be Aloth. Edér is affected, so I assume it's everyone.

You're right. Quick-slot items also disappear.  ;(

Edited by Insolentius

I have found that dismissal and immediate recruiting does not always make items go "poof", however take a rest and recruit them and their inventories will be all cleared out!

Very sad seeing as I had a number of characters, such as Aloth with quick slotted Grimoires and others with scrolls, food and alternatives weapons in inventory... I also lost all my mini pets this way :(

Just ran into the same bug. I made an adventurer to do a minor stronghold quest, hired her and dismissed Aloth so I could level her up, had Aloth rejoin and now his stats (damage done, kills, etc) are a blank slate, the two extra grimoires (and everything else) in his inventory are gone, and so are the scrolls and potions from his quick slots.

Just ran into the same bug. I made an adventurer to do a minor stronghold quest, hired her and dismissed Aloth so I could level her up, had Aloth rejoin and now his stats (damage done, kills, etc) are a blank slate, the two extra grimoires (and everything else) in his inventory are gone, and so are the scrolls and potions from his quick slots.

i lost all my summoning figurines, only left 2 on my main character. yes, quick items are puff from all characters, except hero character

yeah, but ...

*waits for person to jump into thread saying they played the whole game and never ever had a single bug*

....because you know someone will.

...and then they'll act like their feefees are hurt because you don't believe them.

so, let this be a pre-emptive strike:

no, do not say there are no bugs in this game because YOU claim not to have experienced any.  you're wrong. you DID experince bugs, you are just entirely unobservant and manged not to even notice, which is scary.

if you are one of these people, do not ever get a job requiring attention to detail.

Edited by Ichthyic
  • Like 1

This wasn't an issue for me prior to today's patch.

Playing on Windows 7 x64.

I can confirm that in my game Edér retained his quick-slot items after I dismissed him, left Caed Nua, rested, returned and re-added him to my party.

I actually had nothing in his unequipped inventory, so I cannot confirm the lost items bug.

I just had an adventurer companion (chanter) lose all her equipped items too, beware. On the other hand I've also forgotten items in the quick slots without them disappearing when switching companions around.

This also seems to happen, if a companion dies and you reallocate their items to other companions.

My mercenary fighter got killed, and I didn't wish to reload. I looted his corpse and gave most of the items to Kana. Among them were the Torc of the Falcon's eyes, a minor ring of deflection, Fulvano's gloves and a brigandine. These were the items that disappeared, my deceased merc's weapons were still in my inventory, and I believe the quick items were as well. Kana had the first three items equipped and the brigandine was in his or someone else's inventory.

Curiously enough, I didn't seem to lose Edér's (meager) gear when he died. I still have his armor in my stash, while my merc's brigandine vanished.

Edit: I'm running the game on Steam, and naturally have the latest patch installed as well.

Edited by Ignoramus

Hey guys.

Just wanted to say that this issue has been verified and written in our bug database. Thanks for reporting this!

• Like 1

Got a bug :cat:?? Help us squish it!

• In your report Include your *save file* (C:\Users\YourNameHere\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity) and ...
  • PC: *output_log.txt* (In your PillarsOfEternity_Data folder)
  • Mac/Linux: *Player.log* (In your Unity folder)

• Thank you for your help!

This bug is still on-going.  Logged into the game today and noticed Aloth's items were all missing.  The funny thing is I never dismissed him; his stats are still in the game since I first recruited him.  This happened in-between Od nua and resting at the stronghold.

From poking around, it seems like this happens to Aloth more than other npcs.  How do I prevent this from happening again?  Also, where is the option to report the bug in-game?

Just happened to me. Aloth, inn. That hurts, i found it out after re-writing my main save-slots.

After rewriting means 1.05?

Does it happen when you:

1. Fire him.

2. Exit character selection screen.

3. Enter character selection screen.

4. Hire him back.

Just happened to me. Aloth, inn. That hurts, i found it out after re-writing my main save-slots.

After rewriting means 1.05?

Does it happen when you:

1. Fire him.

2. Exit character selection screen.

3. Enter character selection screen.

4. Hire him back.

KTran, can you tell us status of party swapping / inventory bugs for the next planned release? I'm on 1.0.6 and planning on replaying the end of Act II (last save before I hit a swap that nuked Kana's inventory). There's a couple of threads that acknowledge the bugs, but I'm not sure if they've been claimed fixed yet, or will be for 1.0.7.