Journalism and bias in the gaming industry

Blarghagh

If this thread is an example of GG, then I would point to it.  

It is filled with vitriol and derision towards random people that seem to live on Twitter.  Many of these twitter residents are clearly unstable, and yet they are continually mocked and laughed at.

Good. Mocking them with humor is how you show how powerless they are. Keep at it.

I'm pretty sure ignoring them would be more effective.  200 pages of it on a game developer's forum seems a bit much.  I would actually never come across any of these people if it weren't for these posts, so that would speak to the opposite effect.  The more you spread this garbage around, the more power you give them.

When I defend harassment as a good thing that can teach the victim something about themselves, then perhaps you'll have a point.

Right, you're not totally crazy, just a bit crazy. :) Personally, i'm not interested in bigger or lesser evil. Whether you send death threats, or "simply" mock people for their actions, makes no difference to me. You're both wrong.

Edited by Sakai

Good. Mocking them with humor is how you show how powerless they are. Keep at it.

If you think that mocking anyone is in any way shape or form exceptable, then there's something wrong with you.

Are you familiar with satire? Ridiculous ideas should be mocked.

When I defend harassment as a good thing that can teach the victim something about themselves, then perhaps you'll have a point.

Right, you're not totally crazy, just a bit crazy. original.gif Personally, i'm not interested in bigger or lesser evil. Whether you send death threats, or "simply" mock people for their actions, makes no difference to me. You're both wrong.

I am. Putting mocking someone on twitter on par with sending death threats is insane. It's like saying someone who steals a loaf of bread is just as bad as one who steals someone's livelihood.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

If you think that mocking anyone is in any way shape or form exceptable, then there's something wrong with you.

He said anyone; not anything.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

He said anyone; not anything.

And people spouting ridiculous ideas should be mocked. Larry Flynt went all the way to the US supreme court to ensure this right.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

I'm pretty sure ignoring them would be more effective.  200 pages of it on a game developer's forum seems a bit much.  I would actually never come across any of these people if it weren't for these posts, so that would speak to the opposite effect.  The more you spread this garbage around, the more power you give them.

There is irony in someone who is pro ignoring what he deems dumb having a problem with people for not ignoring other dumb bs. Follow your own advice.

And people spouting ridiculous ideas should be mocked. Larry Flynt went all the way to the US supreme court to ensure this right.

I don't disagree.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I am. Putting mocking someone on twitter on par with sending death threats is insane. It's like saying someone who steals a loaf of bread is just as bad as one who steals someone's livelihood.

Where exactly did i say that i put it on par? :) I said that being less wrong doesn't make you right.

If this thread is an example of GG, then I would point to it.  

It is filled with vitriol and derision towards random people that seem to live on Twitter.  Many of these twitter residents are clearly unstable, and yet they are continually mocked and laughed at.

Nah. You cannot ignore evil.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

There is irony in someone who is pro ignoring what he deems dumb having a problem with people for not ignoring other dumb bs. Follow your own advice.

I have been an active member here for over a decade, pardon me if I don't just walk away from the community because of dumb bs.  I've ignored a few iterations of this thread, but it doesn't seem like a good strategy.  It reflects badly on all of us.  

On the contrary, it works pretty well: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZyGOx3AbDQ

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

You can believe whatever you want as far as i'm concerned. But then don't put yourself on some kind of moral pedestal. It makes you a hypoctire, because what you're saying is neither moral nor ethical. 

I have been an active member here for over a decade, pardon me if I don't just walk away from the community because of dumb bs.  I've ignored a few iterations of this thread, but it doesn't seem like a good strategy.  It reflects badly on all of us. 

Again the irony of you not being able to ignore an entirely separate thread. You berate us for not ignoring the biggest spat in gaming culture but you can't stay away from one forum thread.

Where exactly did i say that i put it on par? original.gif I said that being less wrong doesn't make you right.

Here:

Right, you're not totally crazy, just a bit crazy. original.gif Personally, i'm not interested in bigger or lesser evil. Whether you send death threats, or "simply" mock people for their actions, makes no difference to me. You're both wrong.

But wrongs are not equal. The act of mocking someone may not be acceptable to some, but saying that it makes no difference if one mocks or sends death threats is absurd.

You can believe whatever you want as far as i'm concerned. But then don't put yourself on some kind of moral pedestal. It makes you a hypoctire, because what you're saying is neither moral nor ethical.

I hold myself to my own morals, if someone thinks my morals are questionable I have no ****s to give.

As it is, the right to mock someone is protected in the US. I find that this allows pointed satire, such as the countless political cartoons lampooning politicians as mocking someone is often the best way to criticize their beliefs. With this in mind, I'd argue that mocking someone is an essential component of debate and is needed to allow free speech.

But wrongs are not equal. The act of mocking someone may not be acceptable to some, but saying that it makes no difference if one mocks or sends death threats is absurd.

How is it absurd? Wrong is wrong. Being less wrong doesn't make you right. It's a simple consept, nothing absurd about it.

I hold myself to my own morals, if someone thinks my morals are questionable I have no ****s to give.

As it is, the right to mock someone is protected in the US. I find that this allows pointed satire, such as the countless political cartoons lampooning politicians as mocking someone is often the best way to criticize their beliefs. With this in mind, I'd argue that mocking someone is an essential component of debate and is needed to allow free speech.

And again, believe whatever you want. Just don't pretend that you care about ethics. Because you don't. I do, that's why i don't mock people. That's why i try to promote calm and rational discussion instead of throwing **** at each other.

You almost make a good argument for not-ignoring the thread.

But then I remember I can actually talk about feminism with people who've actually read and understood feminist texts, which clearly seems to be more productive when one's goal is to discuss feminism. So my newfound interest quickly evaporates.

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

How is it absurd? Wrong is wrong. Being less wrong doesn't make you right. It's a simple consept, nothing absurd about it.

Because saying that death threats are equivalent to mocking is absurd. Feel free to believe that both are wrong, but being less wrong is important in that a man who steals is less wrong than a man who murders.

And again, believe whatever you want. Just don't pretend that you care about ethics. Because you don't. I do, that's why i don't mock people. That's why i try to promote calm and rational discussion instead of throwing **** at each other.

I don't see how caring about journalistic ethics and mocking someone is mutually exclusive. Do you also view mocking politicians and caring about ethics in government as mutually exclusive?

Either the quote system is botched or KP is arguing with himself.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Because saying that death threats are equivalent to mocking is absurd. Feel free to believe that both are wrong, but being less wrong is important in that a man who steals is less wrong than a man who murders.

Where did i say that they are equivalent? I didn't. More or less, you're still wrong, that's the point.

I don't see how caring about journalistic ethics and mocking someone is mutually exclusive. Do you also view mocking politicians and caring about ethics in government as mutually exclusive?

Because you can't tell someone to be better, while spreading the hate yourself. Look in the mirror first, then tell others what they should and shouldn't do.

• Like 1

This is absurd. These people have every right to discuss this topic, which is well within the boundaries of forum rules, just like you have every right to discuss things you find important. You could, for example, make a Firearms thread and periodically start it up again once it hit it's limit. Would someone be right to claim the pro-firearms thread needs to be shut down because it reflects poorly on all of us? No, that's unfair.

If you don't wanna be associated with it, don't associate yourself with it. If you are incapable of tolerating a thread's existence in a forum you visit, that's blatantly being a drama queen and blatantly demanding all portions of a forum adhere to what you like to a certain degree, all in a belief that being a member here for 10+ years is somehow relevant and affords you some sort of superior say on the matter. No, that's not how it works.

You almost make a good argument for not-ignoring the thread.

But then I remember I can actually talk about feminism with people who've actually read and understood feminist texts, which clearly seems to be more productive when one's goal is to discuss feminism. So my newfound interest quickly evaporates.

Would you argue that people involved with GamerGate on the SJW-side are educated in feminist texts? If yes, I would say this does little to praise feminist texts.

If no, then how exactly are these feminist texts truly relevant? I don't think a single member of this thread will deny feminism is just as capable of producing good ideas and philosophies, but the name "feminism" itself is worn by a wide range of people, some of them serious and educated, others are absolute clowns.

I do not see any reason to fault GamerGate supporters in this thread for being ignorant of feminist texts when opponents of GamerGate are equally as ignorant. I think it's blatantly clear that if you wish to discover a face of feminism that can be positive and productive, this is not the place for it, and that is the fault of those that would dawn the name and use it to meet their own needs. If you think there's actually a prominent SJW who's educated in feminist texts and doesn't blatantly use them to their own interests (lookin at you Anita) then I'd love to hear their name.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

This is absurd. These people have every right to discuss this topic, which is well within the boundaries of forum rules, just like you have every right to discuss things you find important. You could, for example, make a Firearms thread and periodically start it up again once it hit it's limit. Would someone be right to claim the pro-firearms thread needs to be shut down because it reflects poorly on all of us? No, that's unfair.

If you don't wanna be associated with it, don't associate yourself with it. If you are incapable of tolerating a thread's existence in a forum you visit, that's blatantly being a drama queen and blatantly demanding all portions of a forum adhere to what you like to a certain degree, all in a belief that being a member here for 10+ years is somehow relevant and affords you some sort of superior say on the matter. No, that's not how it works.

We have a firearms thread, it is delightful.  People talk about guns.  They aren't consistently putting up inappropriate cartoons, images, and making fun of the tweets of people who don't spend any time here.  This thread has veered over the boundaries of the forum rules plenty of times.  The very nature of this thread seems to revolve around being mean and shouting down people that disagree with you.  It bleeds into other threads too, Monte Carlo's hilarious troll story lasted about 5 posts before it turned dumb. 

I would like to see this forum be a less negative place.  I guess that makes me a drama queen.  

• Like 1

We have a firearms thread, it is delightful.  People talk about guns.  They aren't consistently putting up inappropriate cartoons, images, and making fun of the tweets of people who don't spend any time here.  This thread has veered over the boundaries of the forum rules plenty of times.  The very nature of this thread seems to revolve around being mean and shouting down people that disagree with you.  It bleeds into other threads too, Monte Carlo's hilarious troll story lasted about 5 posts before it turned dumb. 

I would like to see this forum be a less negative place.  I guess that makes me a drama queen.  

If you have an issue with the thread, why not take it up with the moderators? I don't see how posting here is supposed to remedy the situation. The best you can do is take it up with the mods and, whether they agree or disagree with you, accept the response.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Either the quote system is botched or KP is arguing with himself.

It's probably both given the amount of substances currently in my bloodstream.

Where did i say that they are equivalent? I didn't. More or less, you're still wrong, that's the point.

That's an opinion, not a statement of fact. Mockery is protected in the US as free speech and has been used to criticize ideas and public figures effectively. You may not like it, but denying mockery is an effective and legitimate form of criticism is wrong. See Godfrey Elfwick or The Colbert Report as examples.

Because you can't tell someone to be better, while spreading the hate yourself. Look in the mirror first, then tell others what they should and shouldn't do.

Mocking =/= spreading hate.

Mocking a politician for supporting the FairTax because they are supporting a policy that puts a greater tax burden on low-income citizens is not spreading hate. Mocking a twitter feminist for claiming sexism against men doesn't exist or that being accused of rape is a good thing isn't spreading hate. Mocking a corporation for doing something hostile to consumers isn't spreading hate.

We may be petty in this thread, but we certainly aren't spreading hate.

If you have an issue with the thread, why not take it up with the moderators? I don't see how posting here is supposed to remedy the situation. The best you can do is take it up with the mods and, whether they agree or disagree with you, accept the response.

Why would you suggest that?  Appealing to an authority to censor others would seem completely contrary to your whole platform.

I would rather just ask you (and others) to tone down the vitriol for the sake of the community.

But hey, maybe the community has changed and I'm just a leftover from a different time.