Maerwald Dialogue Bug in Caed Nua

Fiaryn

Question

So I've discovered, many many hours after actually having this fight, that after killing Maerwald a dialogue was supposed to trigger with his soul and I was supposed to have the choice to set it free, bind it, or absorb it. Unfortunately, nothing of the sort ever happened for me and I just went on my merry way having no idea.

How can I fix this? Is there a flag I can mess with via the console or...?

• Like 1

Just wanted to comment that I encountered the same issue.

After I killed him nothing happened, and there was no choice or reward.

Went up stairs and gained control of the Stronghold. Never had any option related to Maerwald.

I had this happen to me in my current game, and I didn't even take note of it until later on. This is the only thread I can find on the issue.

I am really cooling on this game because of all of the bugs I've encountered. If I were to try again, it would be my third restart. At this point I think I'll just wait until this game gets a few hundred patches. Feeling really miserable right now after all of my bad bug luck.

On a related note, there is also a completely unkillable looter on the same level as Maerwald that I simply cannot touch as he has easily 150 defense. I made Raedric and his posse cry in a corner, but I can't kill this one random looter. Such is life.

I tried about 6-8 times on two completely differently main characters and had the same thing happen. I ended up un-installing the game last night, deleted all the pillars content in my steam directory after backing up my saves and re-installed. After the re-install I re-attempted the battle to see if it made a difference and this time the dialogue popped and worked fine.

I tried about 6-8 times on two completely differently main characters and had the same thing happen. I ended up un-installing the game last night, deleted all the pillars content in my steam directory after backing up my saves and re-installed. After the re-install I re-attempted the battle to see if it made a difference and this time the dialogue popped and worked fine.

Reywind: Out of curiosity, were you kiting Maerwald out of his room before killing him when the bug occurred? Because having started a new character to test it out, that seemed to be the common factor for the bug happening to me.

Guest Matt Sheets

Hey,

Savegames

Try to include a save file from right before as well as during the issue you are reporting

Windows Location: %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity\Saves

Mac Location: Library/Application Support/Pillars of Eternity/Saved Games

Linux Location: Home/.local/share/PillarsOfEternity/SavedGames

Output Log

When the issue occurs, close the game client, find this file, then attach it to your post

Windows Steam Location: \Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log.txt

Mac Location: Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

Linux Location: Home/.config/unity3d/Obsidian Entertainment/Pillars of Eternity/Player.log

There's an issue where your game can get in a state where conversations aren't properly appearing after combat.  If you close the client, not just exit to the main menu, and load the autosave, the conversation should trigger properly.  This should be resolved in 1.03.

If you have a save that can reproduce it, please attach it and the output log.

Sorry Matt, I made the post originally because I only learned I was in a pickle long after I was in a position to do something of that nature. :(

Will the 1.03 have any means of redress for those of us who are in such a situation?

No, I tried it mostly fighting him where he was, however I did kite him outside once and it didn't seem to matter. I since managed to get past the issue after starting another game after performing a fresh install, I do think I have a copy of one of the saves when I backed up my save directory earlier 

Have heared it from a colleague.

Was it supposed to trigger at the following situation?

https://youtu.be/n4c7NHT4l_4?list=PLNU8jxMn6ejqtJQc26xdIOIbsl4PQAXM5&t=2402

I also wasn't aware that something should happen there at that point and since then I played for another 20h or so.

So I would appreciate his soul showing up after a patch if something broke there. What exactly are the consequences for now? As everything seemed to work fine?

Have heared it from a colleague.

Was it supposed to trigger at the following situation?

https://youtu.be/n4c7NHT4l_4?list=PLNU8jxMn6ejqtJQc26xdIOIbsl4PQAXM5&t=2402

I also wasn't aware that something should happen there at that point and since then I played for another 20h or so.

So I would appreciate his soul showing up after a patch if something broke there. What exactly are the consequences for now? As everything seemed to work fine?

Not having the conversation with the soul

A) Results in you not gaining your second Watcher ability and B) Means you can't access a secret loot room on the Endless Paths, near the very end.

You basically get three options with Maerwald's soul. Free it (+1 prestige), bind it (+1 security), or absorb it (access aforementioned hidden loot room).

Edited by Fiaryn

So I did some digging. This is as far as I've gotten.

If you have http://rien-ici.com/iemod/ installed you can manually start the next quest by opening the console and typing the following:
StartQuest data/quests/critical_path/act_2/cp_qst_ff_ruins.quest

This will begin the next part of the quest line that would have begun after absorbing/freeing/securing Maerwald's soul, and once you type this it will auto-resolve anything you've already completed. For instance, I had already 1) spoken with the statue steward, and 2) upgraded the Barbican, so when I typed the command both of those steps auto-resolved for me.

If the quests don't auto-resolve and you've already completed them, you can input this in the console:

ForceAdvanceQuest data/quests/critical_path/act_2/cp_qst_ff_ruins.quest

HOWEVER, doing this isn't a complete fix. The trigger for Maerwald's Soul doesn't happen when you do this, so you don't get to choose whether to free, secure, or absorb it. This means you lose out on the watcher ability, and any benefit you would have gotten from it. I have no idea if there is a way to trigger it at all.

Unless I can find and trigger it manually, I think I'm still done with this game.

Ok, I lied! I'm not done with this game.

It says a lot about PoE (and how much I want to play it) that I'm stubborn enough to work on this stuff for hours.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know if this fixes everything. I don't know if this breaks anything further down the line. So far it works for me. Here is what you need to do.

1. Install IEMod

http://rien-ici.com/iemod/

2. Load any game back up where you missed out on Maerwald's soul.

3. Input the following console commands (you can copy-paste them) depending on the outcome you want:

a) If you wanted to absorb his soul, type in the following commands:
SetGlobalValue b_watcher_chamber 1
[i don't know how to open the chamber yet! It should be possible but I do not yet know how! Use this one at your own risk!]

b) If you wanted to free his soul, type in the following commands:
SetGlobalValue b_watcher_prestige 1
AdjustPrestige 1

c) If you wanted to bind his soul to the keep, type in the following commands
SetGlobalValue b_watcher_security 1
AdjustSecurity 1

Once you've done one of the above, also type in the following two commands:

AddAbility player speaker_to_the_restless

---

Once done, you should be good to go. This will begin the next quest properly, give you the Watcher's ability, and give you the boon for releasing/binding his soul. I do NOT yet know how to open the chamber at the bottom of the Endless Maze as I have not gotten that far yet (nor will I for some time), so if you want the treasure pile, use it at your own risk. Most likely it should be possible to unlock the chamber or acquire knowledge of it somehow once you're on the bottom floor, but I cannot be sure of this yet.

For now, I'm going to keep playing until the next thing breaks.

• Like 2

It says a lot about PoE (and how much I want to play it) that I'm stubborn enough to work on this stuff for hours.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know if this fixes everything. I don't know if this breaks anything further down the line. So far it works for me. Here is what you need to do.

1. Install IEMod

3. Input the following console commands (you can copy-paste them) depending on the outcome you want:

[i don't know how to open the chamber yet! It should be possible but I do not yet know how! Use this one at your own risk!]

AdjustPrestige 1

AdjustSecurity 1

---

Once done, you should be good to go. This will begin the next quest properly, give you the Watcher's ability, and give you the boon for releasing/binding his soul. I do NOT yet know how to open the chamber at the bottom of the Endless Maze as I have not gotten that far yet (nor will I for some time), so if you want the treasure pile, use it at your own risk. Most likely it should be possible to unlock the chamber or acquire knowledge of it somehow once you're on the bottom floor, but I cannot be sure of this yet.

I can confirm all of the above works like a charm, although the StartQuest part does not appear to be necessary. The next quest started for me, ages ago before I even began this topic, automatically when I entered Defiance Bay interestingly.

1. Install IEMod

AdjustPrestige 1

AdjustSecurity 1

---

I can confirm all of the above works like a charm, although the StartQuest part does not appear to be necessary. The next quest started for me, ages ago before I even began this topic, automatically when I entered Defiance Bay interestingly.

It would also be great if somebody had a place to get the IEmod thingie without having to subscribe to that page. I have tried everything and it doesnt work.

and also if the only way to unlock the ghost room on the 13th level is to absorb the knowlage it is a bigass fail!! i am NOT loading Nua again as i have completed it all just so i can absorb his knowlage and open the last door that i need to  open in order to get the last piece of a sword in the game!! im JUST NOT!!