[480] Charming last enemy ends combat

Skipperro

Question

If there is only one enemy and you use spells to charm/dominate him (to attack him in charmed state due to lower defences), no matter of the duration of the spell, after one-two seconds encounter is finished, all per encounter abilities replenished and the charmed foe is relieved of this spell effect (starting a new encounter instantly).

This creates two problems:

1 - There is practically no point to charm/dominate last enemy or all enemies (cipher's Ringleader spell). The effect wears off immediately.

2 - This could open a gate to serious exploit. When fighting with one enemy or a small group that can be charmed completely, one could use charming as "reset button" for all "per encounter" abilities of a whole party.

I think, that charmed enemy should still count as enemy in therms of checking if there is active combat encounter. This would let the spells to work always with full duration and avoid "reset" exploit.

Sorry to post it after reaching gold state, I didn't noticed it earlier.

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

If the charmed enemy would not end the combat state, it would allow you to charm the last enemy and keep them charmed, effectively prolonging the combat state for as long as you want, between different groups of opponents.

I'm not saying not to fix this, just that the suggested fix opens up another potential exploit.

The Combat State system is pretty broken from beginning to end.

t50aJUd.jpg

It would not, unless only I cannot command charmed foes to go where I want. Where you can't take an enemy with you to the next encounter, there is no exploit.

But even if so - there is no ability, that allows you to constantly charm one foe without limits. Spells are limited and even cipher's abilities require focus. Focus is not generated by hitting friends, but even so - you have to sacrifice friends health and eventually they will run out of it.

But on top of that - what is to gain from prolonging combat state?I don't see any bonuses.

[...]

But on top of that - what is to gain from prolonging combat state?I don't see any bonuses.

Circumventing the "Combat Only"-system of abilities and spells.

Now, the "Combat Only" system is utterly insane for a wide range of reasons, but there are definite benefits to prolonging the combat state. Primarily it has to do with buffs and summons.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Skipperro's report also apply for Druid's spell Charm Beast. When the last animal in combat is charmed, the game switches out of the combat and the charmed affliction ends, even when it's suppose to last another ~30sec.

Compare to the Cipher's powers, Druid's version is also available to cast out of combat. I guess this may motivate using it for scouting purposes. Eg. I can try to charm animals for easier sneaking around the area and avoid fighting. However, when I try this - the effect wears off right after being applied (out of combat). So eventually waste of the Druid's daily spell limit.

Edited by ushas