PoE Embargo ends March 23rd, Backers wait for the 26th?

I don't know why there are people complaining because journalists have previous access to game than backers. In only 3 days we'll have the game. If the release date was in may, for example, nobody would be complaining.

I hope to enjoy PoE and to play lots of sequels in this beautiful setting, and we know that press and other reviewers are a key factor of the success of PoE, not only we, the backers.

Because streamers are not journalists. They're just dudes playing videogames for money, and because they're popular they get access to content before people who actually care about the content while all they care about are views. Please make sure to click subscribe and leave a comment!!!

• Like 3

"Of all the kids in The Breakfast Club, Ally Sheedy would be the first one to sense Cthulhu's coming." -Patton Oswalt 

I don't know why there are people complaining because journalists have previous access to game than backers. In only 3 days we'll have the game. If the release date was in may, for example, nobody would be complaining.

I hope to enjoy PoE and to play lots of sequels in this beautiful setting, and we know that press and other reviewers are a key factor of the success of PoE, not only we, the backers.

Because streamers are not journalists.

That line is a hell of a lot more blurry now than it was 10 years ago; 10 years from now I'm not sure it'll even exist.

• Like 1

Because streamers are not journalists. They're just dudes playing videogames for money, and because they're popular they get access to content before people who actually care about the content while all they care about are views. Please make sure to click subscribe and leave a comment!!!

And is important that streamers have the game only 3 days before than we? This is nonsense. If they have the power of giving big publicity to PoE, that will be great for all of us. We want a succesfull game to enjoy it and a big publicity to increase sales in order to have more sequels.

And is important that streamers have the game only 3 days before than we? This is nonsense. If they have the power of giving big publicity to PoE, that will be great for all of us. We want a succesfull game to enjoy it and a big publicity to increase sales in order to have more sequels.

You can also take the other side of this argument, and say that it's nonsense that journalists and streamers having 3 days early access will determine whether PoE will be a success or a failure. If that were the case, no greenlit/early access game could ever be a success because reviewers and streamers didn't get their 3 Days Of Importance.

"Of all the kids in The Breakfast Club, Ally Sheedy would be the first one to sense Cthulhu's coming." -Patton Oswalt 

Obsidian is doing normal, completely typical marketing for the normal, completely typical release of a high-value high-publicity game on which the continued existence of their company might very well depend.

• Like 2

Obsidian is doing normal, completely typical marketing for the normal, completely typical release of a high-value high-publicity game on which the continued existence of their company might very well depend.

Guaranteed all these twitchers and youtubers combined will never come close to generating 4 million in sales like us backers did. :)

• Like 1

Guaranteed all these twitchers and youtubers combined will never come close to generating 4 million in sales like us backers did. :)

There were no sales. You didn't buy a product. You donated to a company and they rewarded you with a copy of their product; that's it. There was no buying/selling occurring.

There were no sales. You didn't buy a product. You donated to a company and they rewarded you with a copy of their product; that's it. There was no buying/selling occurring.

I bet that'll hold up in court. "I wasn't paying for sex, your honor, I donated money to her non-profit and she rewarded me with services rendered."

• Like 1

I bet that'll hold up in court. "I wasn't paying for sex, your honor, I donated money to her non-profit and she rewarded me with services rendered."

Not the same thing at all. There's a clear legal set up for crowdfunding that I just explained. There are no sales on Kickstarter. Never have been.

You can also legislate whether a tomato is a fruit or a vegetable, but that doesn't change the scientific fact of what a tomato is, just as legislating that what kickstarter does is not buying/selling but some other kind of legal construct doesn't change anything about how people who are not lawyers use the words buying and selling.

Edited by Logos

You can also legislate whether a tomato is a fruit or a vegetable, but that doesn't change the scientific fact of what a tomato is, just as legislating that what kickstarter does is not buying/selling but some other kind of legal construct doesn't change anything about how people who are not lawyers use the words buying and selling.

Just because people use the words buying and selling doesn't mean that what they are doing is actually buying and selling; people use words loosely because it's convenient, not because they care deeply about accuracy, and this is what causes language drift over time. Kickstarter similar set ups are a form of investment, not of purchase; thinking it's a sale doesn't make it so.

Edited by Katarack21

The legal definition of buying and selling should only be privileged over the common use definition of buying and selling in a legal context. As this is a forum post ("4 million in sales") we are not in a legal context and so you can reasonably be expected to be understood to not be using jargon when using everyday words.

Of course, all of this could have been avoided if the original poster had simply omitted 'in sales', because kickstarter did generate 4 million.

Don't backers get a bunch of extra stuff for being backers already? Why are some of you acting like your being slighted because you dont get the game first aswell? Not trying to be rude but it seems like some of you are acting pretty entitled here. 

• Like 1

Break beneath the endless tide - monk

The legal definition of buying and selling should only be privileged over the common use definition of buying and selling in a legal context. As this is a forum post ("4 million in sales") we are not in a legal context and so you can reasonably be expected to be understood to not be using jargon when using everyday words.

Of course, all of this could have been avoided if the original poster had simply omitted 'in sales', because kickstarter did generate 4 million.

The distinction is important in this case because he used the 4 million in sales as a way to justify his desire to get the game early via an argument that the press won't generate that 4 million in sales. The fact that they aren't sales is vital to understanding the process and the reasoning behind these decisions; that 4 million dollars was the money that was used to make the game, not money generated by sales of the game. The sales of the game and the money generated by that will, in large part, dictate whether this game is a "success" and therefore whether future games of this type are more or less likely to be made. It's actually rather important, because as his posts indicate misunderstanding what this is and what this means can have a large impact on the the opinions and attitudes regarding what's happening, which can then impact future Kickstarter funding, the sales of this game, etc. etc.

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 2

You're not actually guaranteed that you'll get anything when you back a kickstarter. So it's more like a bunch of people pooling their money to buy lottery tickets and then splitting the winning than it is an individual person going out and buying a hamburger.

Oh not this again :) Go read the Kickstarter FAQ. We are actually entitled to what was promised or a full refund.

What's happening here is people who did not necessarily back are going to get access before us.

• Like 1

You're not actually guaranteed that you'll get anything when you back a kickstarter. So it's more like a bunch of people pooling their money to buy lottery tickets and then splitting the winning than it is an individual person going out and buying a hamburger.

Oh not this again :) Go read the Kickstarter FAQ. We are actually entitled to what was promised or a full refund.

What's happening here is people who did not necessarily back are going to get access before us.

Thats how the world works man the reviewers/press get the games first to review them so people will you know.... buy the game...

Right no one would buy the game without the three days of streamers getting exclusive access :)

It's hilarious. They made a big stink about not wanting to ship boxes with the game and have leaks but here they are handing the game over to streamers days before the release.

Tomorrow backers who have waited over two years get to sit and watch people who may not have backed the game play it before them. Really funny :)

• Like 1

Backers aren't entitled to a refund if the project creator has shown that they made an effort to make the project sucessful or explained where the funds went. A refund is only one of the ways the creator can satisfy their obligation to their backers should they fail to finish the project.

• Like 1

Right no one would buy the game without the three days of streamers getting exclusive access :)

It's hilarious. They made a big stink about not wanting to ship boxes with the game and have leaks but here they are handing the game over to streamers days before the release.

Tomorrow backers who have waited over two years get to sit and watch people who may not have backed the game play it before them. Really funny :)

I pledged alot, and I have no problem with this. It's like this with every game, people who can bring the game advertisement get their hands on the game first. Besides there is a backer beta - so those who backed the game for a certain amount got to play it first. I think streamers/reviewers getting their hands on a game first will just create more hype for it.

• Like 1

Did the kickstater even say backers get the game before anyone else? 

What's happening here is a completely normal and typical game release for a major project from a well-known studio. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 1

Nope. I don't get the stink over this since they never promised early access nor hinted that there would be one. Backers already get perks that non-backers get.

Nope. I don't get the stink over this since they never promised early access nor hinted that there would be one. Backers already get perks that non-backers get.

So they are basically complaining about not getting something there where never promised?

Oh ok that makes all the sense   /sarcasum

Edited by TheGoatMan
  • Like 2