Hey - I'm Justin, and I made the original NeoGAF post.

Sorry for any concern my comment caused anyone - obviously if you're within the system specs, you're probably pretty unlikely to experience any major stability issues.

I'm playing Pillars on my own time, on my own personal computer (which I hope to replace this year) to evaluate some coverage opportunities. And for fun :). I'm not reviewing the game.

I glanced at the system specs and saw my GPU more than exceeded what I needed (1GB vRAM), I had enough RAM, my CPU was more than fast enough, and so-on. So I installed, and started playing - it's as simple as that.

Truth is 32-bit OS not being officially supported didn't even cross my mind. Although my machine is totally getting old, I played through stuff like Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite, Deus Ex: HR and SimCity 2013 without any problem. I'm running into more and more games that don't support 32 bit systems though (EQ Next, Cities Skylines), so I probably shouldn't be surprised or caught off guard any more.

Anyway, my bad. Wasn't my intention to alarm anyone. Was just sharing my experience. I deserve to get thumped for raising some alarm bells when it turns out I'm outside of the official system specs. Pretty derp moment on my part - just wanted to explain how it happened.

Enjoy Pillars next week!

Any chance I can have your Steam account for a week? I can continue on my save file on my Steam later.

o:) o:) o:)

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

Truth is 32-bit OS not being officially supported didn't even cross my mind. Although my machine is totally getting old, I played through stuff like Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite, Deus Ex: HR and SimCity 2013 without any problem. I'm running into more and more games that don't support 32 bit systems though (EQ Next, Cities Skylines), so I probably shouldn't be surprised or caught off guard any more.

Not to continue beating this dead horse, but in the spirit of helpfulness...

You might want to verify your system specs. Apple stopped making 32-bit Macbook Pros before 2011. If the problem is really just a 32-bit OS, that can be solved by installing Yosemite (64-bit). And upgrading RAM to 8GB couldn't hurt.

That's one of the only crappy thing's about PC's, unless you have a dedicated game room, or your own space that's not shared it's a chore to be able to sit down and play a game like this and enjoy it.

o_O

what is this I don't even

Meaning it's not like you can just play for hrs interrupted on a pc. Unless your 14 living in your room with only enough space to walk to the door. Most folks old enough to remember these games have kid's and a life now. The computer is a shared household commodity. It's not like your cell phone you can take anywhere with you. Because it's a 60 hr+ game, finding time to sit down to play it without interruptions will be a chore.

That is a weird generalization about how adults live, that matches literally no one I've ever met in the last 30 years.  I haven't met many people who had to share computers since I was that proverbial 14 year old. Though actually, it was '88, so I was 12. 

60+ hrs makes interruptions kind of a given, but well, save game solves that problem.

Edited by Voss

Looks like it meets the minimum requirements on STEAM (as much as I can figure that stuff out).

Seems to me (if true) its just as legit to review a game using the minimum specs (albeit, I suppose if possible it'd be best to review the game on recommended specs and then have a sidebar about minimum spec performance).

How much ram and CPU does it take to run the emulator though?

• Like 1

Looks like it meets the minimum requirements on STEAM (as much as I can figure that stuff out).

Seems to me (if true) its just as legit to review a game using the minimum specs (albeit, I suppose if possible it'd be best to review the game on recommended specs and then have a sidebar about minimum spec performance).

How much ram and CPU does it take to run the emulator though?

Good point - that's why I said "as much as I can figure that stuff out"!

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

This thread still brings up a good point though... How do you make the decision to code auto saves to work after the area transition instead of before?

Not sure there's a right answer to that one. I mean, if it saves before transition, then you have to load two areas if you died without saving in the new area.

Edited by dorkboy

This statement is false.