Light Side Items

Did you like the fact that light side items were better?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like the fact that light side items were better?

• Yes. Because I like having lightside stronger.
    • No. I wish Darkside was just as strong.
    • Yes. They needed them to be just as strong as darkside.

What bothered me was not so much the superiority of Light Side artifacts over Dark Side, but that Dark Side artifacts often seemed to be useless for the Consular. Revan's robes gave a bonus to strength....which meant absolutely nothing when you're strangling your opponents at a distance or using Force Lightning on everyone. Meanwhile, all the Wisdom modifying artifacts were Light Side only, which meant a Light Sider could end with a Wisdom of over 30+ (with Master Valor) while his Sith counterpart still hovered around the 18-19 range.

I'm hoping this time around they'll acknowledge the Dark Side Consular....or, for that matter, the Light Side Guardian.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

What bothered me was not so much the superiority of Light Side artifacts over Dark Side, but that Dark Side artifacts often seemed to be useless for the Consular. Revan's robes gave a bonus to strength....which meant absolutely nothing when you're strangling your opponents at a distance or using Force Lightning on everyone. Meanwhile, all the Wisdom modifying artifacts were Light Side only, which meant a Light Sider could end with a Wisdom of over 30+ (with Master Valor) while his Sith counterpart still hovered around the 18-19 range.

I'm hoping this time around they'll acknowledge the Dark Side Consular....or, for that matter, the Light Side Guardian.

I agree with your stament 100 %

True, the playing styles were biased to say the least, but they do reflect the ideal nature of the side they represented. For example, light side characters advocated restraint and general negotitations, thus the peace. Whereas dark side would advocate strenghth, power, and initiative. They portrayed their sides pretty evenly, but at the sacrifice of gameplay balance. The excuse isn't good enough.

Yes, I think there should be more unique DS items, but not if they augment force powers. Dark-side consulars are already formidable - with items that boost their power they'd be unstoppable.

DS consulars focus on offensive powers which more than compensate for low wisdom (if 18 can really be considered low). In addition, force focus makes those powers harder to resist. My DS consular had a much easier time on the Star Forge than LS (with 30 wisdom). Though to be fair, high wisdom will help you more against Malak but that's the only time you need it so high.

PS: Dark side powers are amazingly cheap to use when you are fully DS. Add this to the consular's large pool of FP and it's obvious why they're so strong.

Kefka you bring up some good points. I was just thinking that. It is better to be a dark consular because they have moves to do over and over again (like lightning) , where as ls consular would do force armor once, or something like that. The lightside gets so many force points but they really can't use them all.

DS needed a Sith Force Amulet!  B)  Oh yeah! And Revan's light side robes gave +5 to wisdom. Very useful with the circlet on my ls consular. 30 wisdom yay!

They also had a max dex bon. of 8, a defense of 5, And +2 to all saving throws. :blink: I thought that the darkside artifacts where horrible. I mean, there were so many items that could be used by anyone to increase str [guantlets]. But the only items that can increase wis [such as the circlet of Saresh] were only avalible to ls. But I guess they did this because the whole game is easier if played through on the ds. ;)

I did notice that LS items favored consulars and DS items favored Guardians. But it didn't alter the game that much for me. As a light side guardian, I just used the nuetral itmes which helpes a bunch, and DS consulars are offensive enough as it is. It helps that LS gets big WIS bonuses, because all those skills are supportive, and they need them to work better to be on par with the DS consulars.

I think the reason for DS items of less quality was that it just happened to come out that way. The devs probably meant to eb balanced but just didn't actually make them good or unique enough. Either way, it never really bothered me and I hardly noticed.

In fact, I never bothered with augment items besides lightsaber crystals. They tended to make the PC overly powerful, slightly reducing fun factor for me. As well, some of the items were just plain horrible looking, especially durign a dialogue sequence.

I agree. I went through the whole game without using headbands and visors and things because they made you character look terrible. I just used Robes and Lightsabers and items that didnt show up on the model, like gloves and belts and shields (and definately no implants).

• 2 months later...
I actually liked the fact that the lightside items were better.  Because I think with those better items they could keep up with the darkside force powers.

Your kinding me right, there was about 1 lightside item and about 15 DS items

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf