Will the companions be "Good" or "Evil"?

I loved the occasional inter-party battles that could develop in BG1, it made my playthrough feel like more than just the main campaign but an epic journey where i couldn't predict everything. Clearly POE with its well written fully fleshed out NPCs doesn't have the luxury of certain characters deciding to kill each other mid-game which I understand.

What ? No inter-buddies fights ? Is this official ? crying.gif

There's only 8 CNPC:s. There's not a lot of wiggle-room for.. well.. anything.

t50aJUd.jpg

I liked being able to customize my own party in IWD. They didn't have much personality, of course (aside from their portraits and a few dialogue options tied to stats like INT and CHA, iirc), but I enjoyed both the freedom to explore various builds and the NPC reactions to various party make-ups. Nothing like marching an all-drow party through town and having the locals practically crap themselves. ;)

For me, it's just an option that adds replay value. I'm definitely going to explore adventures with the provided companions on my first (and possibly second) playthroughs, but I'm almost certainly going to give a custom party a run-through at some point.

Good and evil is subjective in real life. In fantasy world where every thing has magic power and such a degree of self independence the subject doesn't apply.  Maybe for beast races and certain god touched individuals self mutilation and eating faces is honorable. Who really are we, the player, to judge what makes us the moral authority of other souls and their culture. 

This is rather pointless since this is not real life.  We have actual Gods interacting with the world, it seems to me we have viable moral authorities.  So let me turn the question back around: who are we to consider ourselves above the Gods? 

I don't think they are viable moral authorities though. In fantasy games, even Gods are morally subjective and "flawed". Your statement sounds like you're thinking in terms of modern religion. Think more like Greek myths and legends kind of gods. You know, Zeus having sex with everything in sight and all that...

And since one God has already "died" in this fantasy world (the Godhammar Bomb incident), humans are more than capable of challenging them!

As others have said, the vast majority of people consider themselves to be "good" and are only interpreted as evil by other people who don't agree with their actions. So if you want an "evil" companion, what you really want is someone with a moral compass/culture eccentric enough to justify what we would consider "bad actions".

I am actually thinking of Greek Myths and Hubris since the question was 'who are we to declare something moral or immoral?'  Well that kind of gets turned around when there are divine beings doesn't it?

And thinking that the divine Eothas was harmed by the Godhammer Bomb is nonsense.  This is simply testing the faith of his people.  HERETICS WILL BE DELT WITH HARSHLY.

I am not so sure the vast majority of people consider themselves to be righteous.  Many people consider themselves to be bad people.  Self-loathing is a pretty common trait, particularly as you accumulate regrets over the course of your life.

I disagree there. Self-loathing is common, in the sense that we believe we are lacking in some way (as such looks or personality traits etc.) and everyone makes bad decisions but I think most people still believe in their own moral compass. If questioned about some of our actions, we would usually get defensive and say something like "I made the best decision under the circumstances!" or "It didn't turn out well but I only did what a decent person would do!" We blame things on other people and circumstances.

I disagree there. Self-loathing is common, in the sense that we believe we are lacking in some way (as such looks or personality traits etc.) and everyone makes bad decisions but I think most people still believe in their own moral compass. If questioned about some of our actions, we would usually get defensive and say something like "I made the best decision under the circumstances!" or "It didn't turn out well but I only did what a decent person would do!" We blame things on other people and circumstances.

I meant self-loathing from a moral perspective, guilt, not 'oh I am ugly' or 'I am just too shy'.  And again I disagree.  People who are just 100% confident in all their moral choices and can rationalize and justify everything without a shred of guilt are certainly out there but they are not most people. 

But anyway as I said when divine beings are so physically a reality I am not sure this applies.

I have no issues accepting what I do because I really know what I am doing is good just may not be good to everyone else. I play video games with similar morals to what I have in real life.

Well other people sometimes act out of emotions or irrationality and do not have the full robotic control you do.

I have no issues accepting what I do because I really know what I am doing is good just may not be good to everyone else. I play video games with similar morals to what I have in real life.

Well other people sometimes act out of emotions or irrationality and do not have the full robotic control you do.

AND some people light things on fire because it's the only way they can feel anything...