83 members have voted

1. 1. Which dev should play Pillars of Eternity at PAX East

• Chris Avellone
    • Tim Cain
    • Josh Sawyer
    • Adam Brennecke
    • Brandon Adler
    • [Other, assuming attendance]

I see 6 options in the poll, so roll a d6.

Seriously though, in a game that focuses so much on tactical combat, go with someone who can explain why they're doing what they're doing. That person does not even have to pick the 'perfect' option, but being able to act quickly (too much delay looks bad in such a presentation) and being able to verbalise the thought process that lead to the choices that were made both lead to something that will not look too slow/complicated/scary to the average fan.

TBH I picked Tim Cain, just because he was so quiet during the last session. Let's put him to the test and see if he can handle PoE!

In contrast to the people who thought Brennecke vs. the Beetles (IIRC?) was some kind of failure, I regard it as the best ad possible for the game. You can tell the game will not hold you by the hand if the developers themselves get whipped when playing it.

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I laughed at Adam Brennecke dying to the beetles twice in a row, but that beta build was stuffed up man - there were so many bugs with selection and commanding of party members that I died too on my first go as well and ragequit lmao - so I take it back.

• Like 3

I vote for Matt Sheets playing at PAX East.

[joking]Where's the dislike button??[/joking]

Matt, how many people at the studio have played the game from start to finish? I'm guessing you could be one of them (soon)?

One would assume that everyone at QA will play through the game to completion at least once?

Also: Tim should refuse to play the game until we get a turn-based game.

Edited by Labadal

Guest Matt Sheets

[joking]Where's the dislike button??[/joking]

Matt, how many people at the studio have played the game from start to finish? I'm guessing you could be one of them (soon)?

One would assume that everyone at QA will play through the game to completion at least once?

We just started running our full progression playthroughs, which we completed our first one successfully a few days ago.

Internally, each QA tester will be doing full progression runs.  Personally, I'm too busy to be able to section off time to sit down and do a full progression.  I've ran the quests and done the Crit Path, but not all at once.

Let's not derail this conversation, since I'm enjoying the conversation about which dev should play at PAX East.

You can make a new thread to ask me questions that I can try to answer when I get free time to read the forums.

• Like 5

Guest Matt Sheets

Are you going to PAX East ? :p

Maybe if there are enough votes on a certain poll...

• Like 7

My real vote went to Brandon (voted now). He might support the wrong football team, but I still want to see him play the game like he would normally do. (I know this might not be the best way to play to get everybody excited.)

• Like 1

am i imagining things, or was Adam really bad and died a bunch when he played? I'm not sure if he deserves a do over, or if it's time for some new blood. I chose tim cain, but I'd be interested to see a younger person play who never played the IE games 15 yrs ago.

Adam played an old version of the game that kicked the ass of many people.

tiM caiN

do you have time to get bored? where is that preview already? :)

Edited by Grotesque

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

or was Adam really bad and died a bunch when he played?

It wasn't his fault, see my previous post in the thread. Either way he died to bugs though.

Honestly I feel sorry for Obsidian having to rock up to Gamescom with that build :(