What class is most like the cleric?

Hello! I've been watching the progress on Pillars of Eternity since the kickstarter went up with excitement. My favorite games are the IE games so naturally I can't wait for PoE. 

I've got a question about classes. I really love the cleric class and I almost always end up playing one (even in PnP D&D). I love being able to fight in the melee with my heavy armor and shield if I need to and being able to use support spells from afar when that's needed.

From what I've seen some people have been playing some kind of beta and I wish to ask of you, what class is most like the cleric in D&D? 

Is there a class where I can use heavy armor effectively while still casting cool support/heal spells and swinging my hammer if a baddy gets too close to me?

Cheers and I can't wait until this game is released.

There aren't any class based restrictions for weapons or armor. Either Priests or Paladins can play to your described archetype, with the former being more of a support spellcaster and the latter, a martial-inclined buffer.

The Chanter also works as a strong support buffer as well, if you want to go more unconventional.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I prefer the Paladin in PoE. I rarely need to heal, and when I do it is generally one character that has either somehow become stranded or recently suffered a critical hit. The per encounter aspect of the Paladin's Lay on Hands ability suits me very well in that regard. I rarely need it, but it's always there every fight. The same applies to Liberating Exhortation. It's a per encounter ability that suppresses all negative effects. Their passive aura is always on providing buffs, which is nice because PoE spell durations are painfully short.

• Like 1

The priest is very much inspired by the DnD cleric and has a similar selection of buffs, healing spells and debuffs as well as some decent offensive spells. You can get a look at their spells here: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Priest_spell. In PoE pretty much any class can be built to use heavy armour; the trade off is the same for everyone (your action speed gets slower). They're an okay choice for the frontline as their base deflection isn't bad and but their base health/endurance isn't great.

The paladin is a much better frontline choice (high deflection + high health/endurance) and they do have a fair number of group buffs and healing abilities (http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Paladin) although obviously not as many as the priest.

• Like 1

Imo, the Priest is very much the most Cleric-like.

As has been pointed out, there are no specific Weapon/Armour restrictions, but the Priest has (mostly support) spells, chooses a Deity on creation.

The Paladin, by comparison, is both very mechanically and conceptually different. The Paladins in the world of PoE belong to Orders that stick to certain dogmas or ideals, ranging from religious to straight-up oathbound mercenaries. They don't get any spells, and they don't actually get that many group buffs and healing abilities (almost zero, actually, depending on how you build your Paladin; you can get as low as 1, you'll always end up with either Lay On Hands or an Aura).

Hopefully they'll work some more on the Paladin before release.

I can't advice you which you'd like the most, it really depends on what appeals to you the most. A support-built Paladin is easily the tankiest, but they don't get any spells (and I don't think they should) and aren't as versatile. There is nothing preventing you from handing a shield and a hammer to a Priest and go to town, but it isn't specifically geared towards it. Each Deity offers a special Talent (taken as a regular Talent) that gives you an Accuracy Bonus with two given weapons.

Sadly, none of them seems to include a hammer at this time, which makes me a sad panda.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Sadly, none of them seems to include a hammer at this time, which makes me a sad panda.

Mmm, yeah. TBH you should post about those in the beta forum, I would support inclusion or changing of some of those weapon groups. Rod for instance is not a very useful weapon if you're not a Wizard.

• Like 1

Mmm, yeah. TBH you should post about those in the beta forum, I would support inclusion or changing of some of those weapon groups. Rod for instance is not a very useful weapon if you're not a Wizard.

I've actually been thinking about starting a thread for the Paladin and one for the Priest, but I haven't gotten around to it because I just don't feel the issues are big enough. This and PrimaJunta's post in the other thread made me re-examing that and if no-one else does, I'll do it later today or tomorrow.

t50aJUd.jpg

Thanks for all the quick replies. :) I'll check out that wiki and see if I can learn anything else. Maybe I'll go with priest and pick up a companion paladin to get both, albeit not my own paladin :) Can't wait for the game, seems like what I've been waiting for, for a very long time now. 

Thanks again for your replies.

Thanks for all the quick replies. :) I'll check out that wiki and see if I can learn anything else. Maybe I'll go with priest and pick up a companion paladin to get both, albeit not my own paladin :) Can't wait for the game, seems like what I've been waiting for, for a very long time now. 

Thanks again for your replies.

Be aware that the wiki is sometimes very outdated, though. Just a heads up.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg