Keyrock

At this point, it's not a great show, by any stretch of the imagination, but it has improved enough from the rather poor pilot that I'm sticking with it.  It's decent enough to get me invested in it, is what I'm saying.

Tbh, the source material isn't that great either. I have given the comic a whirl and I was not hooked, but I guess it's down to different people different taste.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

At this point, it's not a great show, by any stretch of the imagination, but it has improved enough from the rather poor pilot that I'm sticking with it.  It's decent enough to get me invested in it, is what I'm saying.

Tbh, the source material isn't that great either. I have given the comic a whirl and I was not hooked, but I guess it's down to different people different taste.

Have you tried the Garth Ennis issues? IMO those are some of the best. Included the best panel of the series as well.

John-Constantine.jpg

If only this would've been picked up by HBO instead of True Blood or The Leftovers.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

This definitely would have been so much better as a HBO or Showtime show, where they could let John truly be the bastard he is.  To their credit, the producers are doing an okay job working within the bounds of a primetime network show.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

In fairness, Hellblazer was a comic that ran for 25 years.  Anything around that long has gone through many ups and downs, so just looking through a few issues isn't really giving it a fair shake when considering the whole.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

In fairness, Hellblazer was a comic that ran for 25 years.  Anything around that long has gone through many ups and downs, so just looking through a few issues isn't really giving it a fair shake when considering the whole.

I read the new 52 issues, which should be a new beginning.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

See, now, that drawing makes the guy look rebellious/grungy, with a large dollop of "I'm not sure if he's going to help or beat the tar out of me."

The guy on the TV show is pretty/clean with artfully toussled hair, and if I passed him in a dark alley, he wouldn't even make me nervous. Not that there's anything wrong with being pretty/clean. It doesn't feel like it fits, tho.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't know, the rest of the DC line (for new 52) is pretty good.

Yeah, sorta (I kinda like the new Aquaman and Wonder Woman, and how Swamp Thing turned out after the godawful Rotworld storyline), but those are reboots of DC comics, while Hellblazer was always its own separate thing.

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I haven't read the new 52 version. In fact I haven't read any new DC comics since they rebooted it. I'll always read and go back to reading everything before the new 52 reboot.

The original Hellblazer comic was one of my favourites. I'd consider Garth Ennis' main run on Hellblazer (issues 41-83) to be one of the best runs I've read and one of the comics that was a must read for me at the time. During that run was also the idea of where Ennis' Preacher comic came from.

The TV show isn't bad imo. It's a closer representation of the character than that god awful movie but there could be some definite improvement to the show. It feels like it's nearly there but not quite.

Well, looks like the show's future is up in the air, at least they haven't outright cancelled it yet.  The last 3 episodes (4,5,6) have been the best of the series so far, in my opinion.  To me, the show started out poorly, with the piss poor pilot, got steadily better in episodes 2, 3, and 4, and has plateaued since then.  As it stands now, I feel the show is decent, good enough to make me tune in each week, but not good enough to make me passionate or truly excited about it.  For one, the John Constantine character is still way too much of a nice guy.  That said, I'd rather the show get picked up for a second season than it didn't.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Well, I hope this gets picked up for a second season.  Episode 7 was, in my opinion, easily the best episode of the show so far.  That was, for my tastes, a legitimately entertaining episode, and the first episode that I would honestly labels as "good".  John is still way too much of a nice guy and the episode ended too cleanly for my tastes (though repercussions were at least hinted at), but I found the episode compelling and we finally have something of a legit season-long (potentially multi-season, assuming it gets that chance) arc in the works.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Well, I hope this gets picked up for a second season.  Episode 7 was, in my opinion, easily the best episode of the show so far.  That was, for my tastes, a legitimately entertaining episode, and the first episode that I would honestly labels as "good".  John is still way too much of a nice guy and the episode ended too cleanly for my tastes (though repercussions were at least hinted at), but I found the episode compelling and we finally have something of a legit season-long (potentially multi-season, assuming it gets that chance) arc in the works.

Agreed. It was the best episode so far. Although the previous one was good as well. Had some good horror moments in it.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

• 1 month later...