Sensuki's Let's Play Icewind Dale

Sensuki

Less strain on the eyes man. Doesn't make crap all difference on an LCD because they don't work the same. On a CRT it does. The difference is very slight but the higher the refresh rate, the easier on the eyes a CRT screen is.

Half the people in their 30s that wear glasses probably ruined them using a PC less than 85Hz or something tbh.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

As somebody who loves IWD it sure hurts my feelings to see people call it bland and lifeless.  I think it is amazing and fun as hell.  This makes me want to play it again.

Yep. It really nailed the "Heroic adventure trek across the unforgiving icy north" atmosphere, with its combination of awesome music, great graphics design, and pretty good area/world/encounter design.

The story was good too imo, it merely refrained from forcing the player's constant attention on itself and overshadowing everything else (as it does in some other RPGs). The story was in fact a lot more nuanced and fleshed out than some of the haters let on, it just didn't always "pop up in your face" -- you needed to actually read books/notes/letters you came across, look at the game world with a keen eye, ask villagers for advice before going off to dungeons, etc., to get the full experience (if you were so inclined).

As for "roleplaying": Well why would you need tons of dialog that lets your characters waste time by talking about their feelings and stuff, when you've got great combat and great atmosphere to enjoy... :dancing:

• Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

I love the narrator guy as well.  Best Narrator in all the IE games.

The female narrator in IWD2 was arguably even better.

PS: Damn, Sensuki, now you've reminded me how cool the Severed Hand "dungeon" is... (in both IWD games) Must...resist...starting new game...must...keep in mind plan to wait for IWD:EE... >_<

• Like 2

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell