A question for Beta backers: Weapon / Gear impact on environment interactions

Hi Beta Backers.

I had a question concerning the effectiveness of Gear on the game. The exact question is, to what extent do items including weapons, trinkets, gear and consumables allow you to ignore base stats?

Please explain to us what the ratio of character traits vs item traits feels like :)

"The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit."

Please explain to us what the ratio of character traits vs item traits feels like :)

I don't really have a clear picture of this based on the beta, but can give some color commentary:

There are useful items to be found (rings, helms etc) that help with base or derived stats; some of them are randomized.

The enchantment system allows you add up to +3 for any base stat (that is, character attribute; Might ,Dexterity etc.). Doing so requires finding the right items and having enough money. So, it will depend on how both are distributed in the final game. You can find all of the items to enchant a suit of armor with +1, +2 or +3 Might during the beta. Moneywise, +1 seems manageable +3 is very expensive but you are only doing 4 quests plus an additional dungeon/puzzle in the beta.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So. by looking at the stats posted for this update, it looks like that the attributes actually contribute quite little to the overall numbers. Can some one now compare the bonuses from Class versus from Items?

Like for example, is accuracy contributed most from Class / skill or items?

"The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit."

Like for example, is accuracy contributed most from Class / skill or items?

First you need to keep in mind that most enchantments use 3 increments spread over 12 levels. Kind of like DnD +1 at level 2-4, +2 at level 5-8, +3 at level 9-12.  I don't think you are really supposed to have a +3 Might item at level 5.

Now for your example. Base class accuracy goes from 15 (low) to 25 (very high) depending on the class. Then you add +3 every level. So the final range at level 12 will be 48 to 58 with Perception at 10 and no gear. Perception provide +1 accuracy for each increment over 10. With an Orlan you can start with +10 (Per at 20). Some race also have racial that provide accuracy bonus, but under certain conditions so I will ignore them. I will also ignore classes models/buff that increase accuracy (too numerous and missing some tooltips).

You can have more than one enchantments per weapon (different ones) right now and I believe that it's stack. I actually didn't validate that one...hmm, something to do today. The rest is based under the assumption that enchantments stacks per item.

Now, the lowest quality (Fine) and lowest accuracy bonus (Accurate 1) will provide a total bonus of +8 accuracy (+4 for both), that's equivalent to having a starting Perception of 18. Everything is relatively linear in PoE, the ratio stay quite similar between low level and higher level (i.e. Superb and Accurate 3 provide a combine +24 accuracy bonus).

This result in that idea that gear accuracy bonus can be ~33.3% of the total accuracy for the low accuracy classes and ~30% for the high accuracy classes for weapons. I'm not sure if weapon accuracy enchantments affect only that weapon or it it's global. If the bonus is per item only, this mean that casters are better served with increasing Perception (which affect everything) and using buff, because they won't get anything from the weapon's bonus for casting spells.

I hope I didn't screw any of the math...

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

You shouldn't have too many problems regardless of class, except maybe in the case of not choosing Constitution as a tank character or something. If you don't pump Perception though you may struggle getting past creature's stronger Fort, Ref, Will scores as those are almost always higher than Deflection on both characters and creatures.

Now that the maximum bonuses you get from attributes are pretty small it's not a huge difference between 10 and 18 or whatever, in many cases.

You can afford to dump Dexterity on some classes in favor of either higher Might or Perception, and you can probably afford to dump Resolve on some classes as well that don't really need their durations that much. Monks have no use for Intellect either, as they want to be hit and they have like a cone aoe ability that you'll rarely use.

@morhilane, spells have a +10 accuracy bonus for most classes, but you're right that weapon enchantments will quite easily surpass that eventually.

Would be cool if you could upgrade your Grimoire :)

I would say that attributes still are not right.

Edited by Sensuki

@Sensuki  I forgot about some spells getting accuracy bonus. I don't play casters often.

I tried to see how weapon accuracy bonus is applied and that's a pain in the ass because the value is not updated on the paper doll. The value only change if you are using a single weapon or not. Also, it appear that using a single weapon gives you much better accuracy if you are a Fighter. Is that mentioned somewhere, because it doesn't show up on the fighter description.

BB Fighter + one-handed axe (or a one-handed sword) :  52 accuracy

BB Fighter with axe/shield, axe/sword, morning star, empty handed or even naked: 37 accuracy

He has 10 Perception, so 37 is his normal base class + level up accuracy. When using a one handed weapon, he gets a bonus 25 accuracy to reach 52 (I tested it on a self made fighter and the bonus is 15 until level 5, then it move to 25). That's on the paper doll though. When in combat, naked, no modal up, with a single one-handed sword is accuracy read has 56 in the combat log (this is correct, the sword is fine and get a +4 accuracy).

I made a test with an enchanted sword (well the same fine sword) and added Accurate 3 on it (+12 accuracy) and the accuracy in the combat log was 64. So 52+12. Seems like enchantment of the same type do not stack, even if you can apply them on something.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I probably souldn't comment on this, since i still haven't actually read up on how weapons are suppose to work, but i think i found that it matters a lot with what type of weapon damage you do versus each type of enemy.

You should use blunt damage versus beetles, otherwhise you can to 30-50% damage less to them.

(the percantage is purely on feeling, so i'm hoping someone will correct me on this)

I noticed a lot of the time, that there's at least 1 of my characters that's doing only 0,5-2 damage per hit.

Edited by Cubiq