BUG? Convo skill checks not using companion skill values

Ink Blot

Question

Not sure if this is a bug, as I'm not certain on how the game is supposed to behave when it comes to skill checks in convos. Anyway:

Talking to the Alchemist, Hendyna, in Dyrford village and when trying to find info about the noble's daughter (Aelys), you get a convo option for more info that requires a Lore 4 skill check. My main had no Lore, but both the BB Priest (Lore 5) and BB Wizard (Lore 8) had enough. However, the skill check fails (Convo option line shows [Lore 4] [Requirement Not Met]).

I thought the game used the highest value among the party members for skill checks, but is this not the case? If not, it certainly seems it would make companion skills useless.

Save File: http://www.upload.ee/files/4229701/88fdf92d55d54e1097342b16c97f00be_DyrfordVillage_7613367.savegame.html

7 answers to this question

Hello Ink Blot,

Thank you for your posting. I believe this is working as intended. To my knowledge the player character's skill values are the only ones taken into account during dialogue interactions. However companion skills can be utilized in other combat, gameplay, and scripted interaction situations. Such as higher Lore helping to fill out the information in the bestiary more effectively.

Thank you for your assistance during the beta!  :grin:

• Like 1

Hello Ink Blot,

Thank you for your posting. I believe this is working as intended. To my knowledge the player character's skill values are the only ones taken into account during dialogue interactions. However companion skills can be utilized in other combat, gameplay, and scripted interaction situations. Such as higher Lore helping to fill out the information in the bestiary more effectively.

Thank you for your assistance during the beta!  :grin:

Ah, okay. Thanks for the response. Seems odd that you can choose to talk to the NPC with, for example, the BB Wizard (Lore skill of 8 ), which I did, and you still fail the check. Shouldn't the game look at the skills of the character actually addressing the NPC instead of default to the PC's character?

I see your point. I think that it is assumed that if you initiate a conversation with any party member, the player character is still always the one taking charge of the conversation. Any references, observations, or actions taken via dialogue are with the main character in mind. Though, I believe in certain instances, companions will speak up when they have something meaningful to lend to a conversation.

This may be best taken to the discussion forums and see if a designer can comment on the direction and/or reasoning behind it.

Thanks for the feedback and support!  :lol:

This may be best taken to the discussion forums and see if a designer can comment on the direction and/or reasoning behind it.

Absolutely. I'll give it some thought and maybe start a thread there. Thanks again for the reply. :)

Maybe it should be implemented like in Planescape: Torment, where the main character always walked up to the person you attempted to initiate dialog with, no matter which party member you had selected when you clicked to initiate dialog.

This way, it would be clear that the main char is the one doing the talking.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Well, I use this feature tactically. I use BB Fighter to initiate conversations because if I start a fight he is in position to draw attention. I really don't want my ranged squishy to be standing amidst 5 people I just pissed off just because he is the main character. I do understand how this feature causes confusion though.