Overly deadly spiders (intentional?)

PrimeJunta

Question

To reproduce: Fight the spiders in the ogre cave.

Observed: I have noticed that relatively frequently my characters fighting the spiders very quickly lose all health (not Stamina), and keel over Maimed. The health can go down from 100% to zero in a single combat. I was under the impression that this should not happen; that you can lose at most 25% of your health during an individual fight, if stamina regeneration effects are not applied.

In any case, this has happened on several occasions, but not always. I suspect it may be a bug.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

19 answers to this question

To reproduce: Fight the spiders in the ogre cave.

Observed: I have noticed that relatively frequently my characters fighting the spiders very quickly lose all health (not Stamina), and keel over Maimed. The health can go down from 100% to zero in a single combat. I was under the impression that this should not happen; that you can lose at most 25% of your health during an individual fight, if stamina regeneration effects are not applied.

In any case, this has happened on several occasions, but not always. I suspect it may be a bug.

I've had this happen only once (full party wipe was the result). Every other time I've had few issues against the spiders. This was on Normal difficulty. Because of that, I tend to agree this must be a bug.

• Like 1

^ this happened to me first time into cave...I figured it was poison or somesuch thing, but I couldn't find anything in the combat log that gave an indication of amount of damage poison was doing over time.  All damage in POE is at the 4:1 ratio and there are no insta-kills so this is indeed puzzling.  

Also, of the 2 Crystal Eaters in the area, did anyone notice the one to the eas has some AoE attack that does a crap load of damage if you happen to be in the area?  Not sure why one has that attack and the otner doesn't.

Also, of the 2 Crystal Eaters in the area, did anyone notice the one to the eas has some AoE attack that does a crap load of damage if you happen to be in the area?  Not sure why one has that attack and the otner doesn't.

Can't swear to it, but I'm pretty certain I had the one to the north do that damage to me a couple times as well. Not sure what it is (some kind of crystal bomb attack?) but yeah, it's brutal.

Hmmm I think it has to do with poison. Every time a character has been exposed to it, their health drops dramatically. Could be a balance issue rather than bug, but it does feel over the top.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Hmmm I think it has to do with poison. Every time a character has been exposed to it, their health drops dramatically. Could be a balance issue rather than bug, but it does feel over the top.

I don't know. I've done that cave at least a dozen times and never had that happen other than the first time. I find it hard to believe my party wasn't poisoned on at least one of those other runs.

I'm fairly certain I've been poisoned "normally" on some runs. I.e., stamina and health bleed away but not super-fast, and at the normal ratio.

What I'm talking about is damage to health directly, which bypasses stamina... or, possibly, a condition where health keeps going down after stamina has hit zero and the character is down. In any case something that can get health, not stamina, from full to zero in next to no time flat.

If it's intentional, I'd like to know what it is, 'cuz it's scary.

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

My fighter got poisoned on the second run-through but it didn't wipe him out, and I could see the attack and damage in the combat log.  The first time, he was standing one moment and the next dead w no health.  That character had 152 points and was at full health, so the attack would have had to do more than 608 points of damage, or possibly been applied multiple times.  Either way, it feels like a bug.

Damn, now I have to try this again tomorrow.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your feedback. There are a few bugs related to these concerns, some that we have fixed and some that we are still working on. However, it is also important to know that the Crystal Eater spiders do have a petrification effect. Currently, if a character becomes petrified they will cease to lose stamina and all damage will go to their health bar only. This damage is then dealt at 4x the value to cause their health loss rate to become similar to the rate that a stamina bar would receive damage.

If a character is both poisoned by Widowmaker or Ivory spiders and then becomes petrified as well, their health can drop very quickly. If the character falls, as long as you do not have expert mode's death feature on, these character's should become maimed at the end of the fight, allowing them to recover via a rest.

One of the major issues that we should have resolved in our current build, is that the check that was being made to decide if the petrification effect was successful was not being made correctly. So it is possible that in the beta the Crystal Spiders are applying petrification a little too often.

I will look into these concerns further and make sure that the designers are aware of any unseen hurdles.

Thank you all for your continued support, you are all awesome!  :sorcerer:

• Like 6

Haaa, that explains it. Excellent, I feel much better -- I did see something about Petrified zap past in the combat log. It was probably intentional then -- it could easily happen if I've got my fighter in the front line cheerfully soaking up damage, who gets petrified, and then the damage goes straight into Health.

In that case, amend the report: Petrified status needs better visual and auditory feedback. Maybe turn the model gray and freeze it. Such a frightening and deadly status effect ought to have the visuals to match--at the very least I ought to notice when it happens.

• Like 4

I'm a bit surprised to see poison work if you're petrified. How does poison flow when you're completely turned to stone? Poison can't flow in stone. (Likewise if you have effects such as bleeding). Honestly, I kinda expected petrification to actually make you immune to poison/bleeding/other similar types of damages.

Direct HP damage makes sense, given you can't resist anything and if someone chips off pieces of you, it's gotta have quite a substantial effect. However, personally, I'd make it so crushing damage is super effective, and slashing/piercing not really effective (maybe DT vs crushing = 0, DT vs slashing/piercing = 20). Maybe something similar for spells, especially those dealing some kind of "impact" damage, compared to those that damages you because "you're standing in a really cold area".

• Like 3

I'm a bit surprised to see poison work if you're petrified. How does poison flow when you're completely turned to stone? Poison can't flow in stone. (Likewise if you have effects such as bleeding). Honestly, I kinda expected petrification to actually make you immune to poison/bleeding/other similar types of damages.

Direct HP damage makes sense, given you can't resist anything and if someone chips off pieces of you, it's gotta have quite a substantial effect. However, personally, I'd make it so crushing damage is super effective, and slashing/piercing not really effective (maybe DT vs crushing = 0, DT vs slashing/piercing = 20). Maybe something similar for spells, especially those dealing some kind of "impact" damage, compared to those that damages you because "you're standing in a really cold area".

Petrified can also mean being completely paralyzed with horror, though I'm not sure if this definition would overlap with other negative status ailments.

^ I think paralyzed is the more appropriate word.

I also noticed the petrified effect (bad word) but only by scrolling over status effects...they are way too small at even 13xx resolution.

Those Crystal Eater Spiders need to be balanced (AoE, Petrification, & Massive criticals!)...they were much tougher than the Spider Queen

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your feedback. There are a few bugs related to these concerns, some that we have fixed and some that we are still working on. However, it is also important to know that the Crystal Eater spiders do have a petrification effect. Currently, if a character becomes petrified they will cease to lose stamina and all damage will go to their health bar only. This damage is then dealt at 4x the value to cause their health loss rate to become similar to the rate that a stamina bar would receive damage.

If a character is both poisoned by Widowmaker or Ivory spiders and then becomes petrified as well, their health can drop very quickly. If the character falls, as long as you do not have expert mode's death feature on, these character's should become maimed at the end of the fight, allowing them to recover via a rest.

One of the major issues that we should have resolved in our current build, is that the check that was being made to decide if the petrification effect was successful was not being made correctly. So it is possible that in the beta the Crystal Spiders are applying petrification a little too often.

I will look into these concerns further and make sure that the designers are aware of any unseen hurdles.

Holy... crap.... that is horrifying. O_o

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

A few things with petrification: I haven't played the spiders who do it so take this with a grain of salt.

The effect of petrification should be visible.

Players should also be stunned when petrified, that or increasingly slowed (10%, 30%, 50%) for several seconds (1-3 s) with a 0.5 second stun at the end.

Edited by Hormalakh

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

^  Good point, and I stand corrected about word usage, Crystal Eaters do, in fact, turn petrify their prey by momentarily turning them (the skin?  Whole body?) to stone according to the creature description...very odd and that coupled with poison is a bit much.