• Adding/Removing/Modifying dialog on existing characters with dialog
  • Changing any text in the game
  • Changing Character Portraits
What I think is probably possible, pending further research:
  • Adding custom quests triggered by dialog on existing characters
What might be possible, but will take much more research/new tools:
  • Adding new portraits to the list instead of replacing
  • Modifying/replacing character/item models
What might not be possible without deeper modification of game files (i.e. significant work):
  • Adding new items
  • Adding new NPCs
  • Adding new companions
As a side-effect of this, I have come across some data that is a bit more spoiler-y about how the game might progress, which they have kindly left in the game's files for us to poke through and find! Note that these are spoilers! Don't discuss them in this thread, so people don't get unintentional spoilers (or at least post in spoilers tags!)

No seriously, this is a spoiler. Are you sure you want to look at it?

Like, spoiling-how-the-game-progresses kind of spoilers. Are you extra sure?

Alright, here you go, the latest spoilers.txt right out of dropbox (I'll be modifying this file as I go on. Note it's pretty much a data dump, so not in a particularly easy-to-read format)

• Like 11

List of Mods:

Installation Instructions:

These mods come in the form of patch files. If you know how to apply patch files, they should be fairly easy. If not, you may be able to look at the files and figure out how to manually apply them.

<Better tutorial will go here>

Money Mod 

Adds an option to Dengler to give you 2000cp. Repeatable. Useful for testing hiring a full party.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14807716/eternity/moneymod/moneymod.zip

• Like 5

I assume the bug that means you can only hire lvl 1 characters is still present.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

*bump for visibility*

Edited by Tartantyco

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Didn't the devs say they were going to make the game mod friendly at some point?

Anyway, I wanted to write a save game editor, but I think it's only possible if the devs said what unity asset they used to serialize the save files (they didn't write their own asset for this, did they? there's already tons of available ones). I didn't know how to contact anyone, so I asked Josh Sawyer and Feargus Urquhart on twitter, but they didn't reply. I wish they were more forthcoming with simple information like that.

Edited by Bester
  • Like 1
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

There are currently a couple of tools that can extract files from Unity's file system, however when I tried to run Unity Explorer I get exception errors unpacking the PE files. Managed to get the main theme music though.

Hopefully just as the BGs spawned modding tools, PE will spawn further development of these tools.

I haven't tried the other program (Disunity), which I think is a command line tool, and works on .unity3d files

The problem is, you can extract the files, but I don't know if you can send them back into the file system.

There's a lot of Microsoft Access Shortcuts in the file system for some reason, unless that's just my PC not reading them properly.

Main theme btw: http://www.upload.ee/files/4220997/mus_theme.ogg.html

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1