Obsidian please...reconsider adding romance...

Hi Obsidian!

I first off would like to say that I am absolutely amazed by the amount of work and effort that you have put into this game. Its really a big deal for me that you guys are making a successor to the baldur's gate and from I have seen from the game so far you guys have got me super excited and pumped up for this game! Everything I have seen on this game has me waiting in my chair in anticipation for it! Again, I am super excited that you guys are making a game like this and really really can't wait to play it!

Now I was watching the gameplay preview on the game the other day on pc gamer on youtube and not only was I amazed by what I saw but one thing that really turned me off was the fact that you guys have decided not to put romance in there simply because it would take too much time. I understand this and quite frankly I have always been a strict believer in the fact that "you have to sacrifice some things in order to make the bigger machine run better" as it were. But to be honest in every rpg I have played I have always enjoyed engaging in romance with a particular character just to make things a lot more interesting than just the main story. Lol its going to kind of turn me off as I play that I can't have a little romance with certain characters such as Calisca I mean look at her portait! Her pretty face sends me swooning through the pretty pink sky like a bird! xD

But anyway...I ask you guys to reconsider this course of action. Me and a lot of players do like the idea of engaging in romance and sometimes it can end up being more important than the main story to us. I just feel like its taking off a major attraction to the development of the characters as you progress to the game and they may end up feeling like "bodyguards" instead of actual people you can choose to engage in anyway you see fit including romantic situations. 

I mean surely I'm not the only one who wants this...

• Like 1

Hi Obsidian!

I first off would like to say that I am absolutely amazed by the amount of work and effort that you have put into this game. Its really a big deal for me that you guys are making a successor to the baldur's gate and from I have seen from the game so far you guys have got me super excited and pumped up for this game! Everything I have seen on this game has me waiting in my chair in anticipation for it! Again, I am super excited that you guys are making a game like this and really really can't wait to play it!

Now I was watching the gameplay preview on the game the other day on pc gamer on youtube and not only was I amazed by what I saw but one thing that really turned me off was the fact that you guys have decided not to put romance in there simply because it would take too much time. I understand this and quite frankly I have always been a strict believer in the fact that "you have to sacrifice some things in order to make the bigger machine run better" as it were. But to be honest in every rpg I have played I have always enjoyed engaging in romance with a particular character just to make things a lot more interesting than just the main story. Lol its going to kind of turn me off as I play that I can't have a little romance with certain characters such as Calisca I mean look at her portait! Her pretty face sends me swooning through the pretty pink sky like a bird! xD

But anyway...I ask you guys to reconsider this course of action. Me and a lot of players do like the idea of engaging in romance and sometimes it can end up being more important than the main story to us. I just feel like its taking off a major attraction to the development of the characters as you progress to the game and they may end up feeling like "bodyguards" instead of actual people you can choose to engage in anyway you see fit including romantic situations. 

Move this to the official romance thread.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Hi Obsidian!

dear obsidian,

as PoE is 'posed to call to mind the ie games, perhaps you might add a neeber/noober to your upcoming release. we would suggest that the npc would incessantly demand romance from one of your party members. he, or she, would follow after your party spouting bad poetry and enumerating advantages o' romances both specific and general. perhaps the npc could sing as am suspecting that would make appropriately annoying. 

please make the neeber/noober character genuinely romanceable, but have the entire romance arc run its course in the span of a handful o' over-the-top and melodramatic dialogue options, culminating in a slide/cut scene consummation guaranteed to satisfy no genuine fans o' game romance.

outlasting neever's (just a suggestion for a name) demands for an abrupt and hollow "romance" should result in a moderate xp gain for the character, much as preternatural patience when facing noober were resulting in a BG xp reward. 

finally, do not forget to make neever killable. make the him/her killable in some horrific way.

same-sex neeber/noober is a given, 'course.

our suggestion addresses three recently annoying requests that have appeared on these boards: romance, homage, humor.

thank you for your consideration. 

sincerely,

Gromnir esq.

HA! Good Fun!

ps as an alternative, allow us to choose a dialogue option whereby we may drive a 20 penny nail into our own ears to avoid listening to further romance demands.

• Like 9

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Hi Obsidian!

dear obsidian,

as PoE is 'posed to call to mind the ie games, perhaps you might add a neeber/noober to your upcoming release. we would suggest that the npc would incessantly demand romance from one of your party members. he, or she, would follow after your party spouting bad poetry and enumerating advantages o' romances both specific and general. perhaps the npc could sing as am suspecting that would make appropriately annoying. 

please make the neeber/noober character genuinely romanceable, but have the entire romance arc run its course in the span of a handful o' over-the-top and melodramatic dialogue options, culminating in a slide/cut scene consummation guaranteed to satisfy no genuine fans o' game romance.

outlasting neever's (just a suggestion for a name) demands for an abrupt and hollow "romance" should result in a moderate xp gain for the character, much as preternatural patience when facing noober were resulting in a BG xp reward. 

finally, do not forget to make neever killable. make the him/her killable in some horrific way.

same-sex neeber/noober is a given, 'course.

our suggestion addresses three recently annoying requests that have appeared on these boards: romance, homage, humor.

thank you for your consideration. 

sincerely,

Gromnir esq.

HA! Good Fun!

ps as an alternative, allow us to choose a dialogue option whereby we may drive a 20 penny nail into our own ears to avoid listening to further romance demands.

Will there be achievements?? There better be achievements for this! I demand achievements.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Lol its going to kind of turn me off as I play that I can't have a little romance with certain characters such as Calisca I mean look at her portait! Her pretty face sends me swooning through the pretty pink sky like a bird! xD

<sigh> A portrait did that?

I hope this game's lack of romances is blatant and deliberate enough throughout the course of the game to finally shake loose ^^this^^ segment of the fanbase from the IP once and for all. You guys are just as bad as that small group of Turn-based fanatics that came here at the beginning of the kickstarter and raised a ruckus.

No I take that back. You're far worse. At least the TB'ers got over it.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 1

darn, we forgot achievements. the neever encounter could result in at least four different achievements. should be the only 4 achievements in the game. 

1) priestly virtue-- you avoided never's advances

2) first pitch home run-- you got sexification from neever on the first date. hooray!

3) we're all on the same team-- you consummated a same-sex romance with neever

4) keats died young, and so did you-- you killed neever

our suggestion thus addresses four recently annoying requests that have appeared on these boards: romance, homage, humor, and achievements.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Lol its going to kind of turn me off as I play that I can't have a little romance with certain characters such as Calisca I mean look at her portait! Her pretty face sends me swooning through the pretty pink sky like a bird! xD

<sigh> A portrait did that?I hope this game's lack of romances is blatant and obvious enough throughout the course of the game to shake loose ^^this^^ segment of the fanbase from the IP once and for all. You guys are just as bad as that small group of Turn-based fanatics that that came here at the beginning of the kickstarter and raised a ruckus.No I take that back. You're far worse. At least the TB'ers stopped begging when it was made clear to them that PoE won't be turn based.

A tad harsh, no?

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

darn, we forgot achievements. the neever encounter could result in at least four different achievements. should be the only 4 achievements in the game. 

1) priestly virtue-- you avoided never's advances

2) first pitch home run-- you got sexification from neever on the first date. hooray!

3) we're all on the same team-- you consummated a same-sex romance with neever

4) keats died young, and so did you-- you killed neever

our suggestion thus addresses four recently annoying requests that have appeared on these boards: romance, homage, humor, and achievements.

HA! Good Fun!

I can get behind that.

I don't understand 'homage'. Is that, like, giving an hombre a massage. Perhaps a message.

I think it's a type of cheese.

Or maybe it's a slutty wizard.

I keep getting that term confused.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 2

Obsidian has said several times that the reason there won't be romances is because they don't have resources to make them right. No reason to add something half-assed into the game when the time and money can be used somewhere else. I don't care if the game has romances or not but come on.

I'm starting to think that people actually don't care what kind of romances there are as long as the game has them. Maybe Obsidian should add something like Saints Row IV had and there you go!

Anyways, even if Obsidian reconsiders it I don't think adding them would be possible at this point. The game is content locked and ~4 months away from release. They would have to make changes in the game, delay it and probably run out of money.