Character speed / boots of speed?

One thing that annoyed me but was mandatory on harder difficulties/certain classes/mods in BG2 and similar games were the boots of speed. For those who don't know, these gave a permanent haste bonus to the character, and were fairly rare and set in special locations (typically mid-late game).

The haste bonus gave them a tactical and combat advantage, granting both APR and move speed bonuses is arguably one of the strongest buffs, especially when they're permanent. But they also had a few problems - first, the game looked silly when you'd see characters blaze across the screen, they might as well given them tire screeching sounds when you'd make turns with them.

The second problem was that until your entire party was equipped with them, you basically had to throttle the guys on crack because the ones without the boots would take ages to catch up.

So, my question is, did this mechanic actually deprive more than it added to the game, and will something similar be in PoE?

• Like 1
tsgUO.gif

Really? I thought boots of speed only affect movement speed, not attack speed. Maybe I am wrong, but thats why I never used them

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Really? I thought boots of speed only affect movement speed, not attack speed. Maybe I am wrong, but thats why I never used them

They always gave haste to the user, and as such the APR bonus. But I don't think it was intended.

Out of combat movement speed defaults to "slowest in party". (I believe there's an option to set it to free for all, too.)

That's convenient. I guess in such a manner, having the boots wouldn't be a chore (this was further amplified by bad IE pathing I guess).

Edited by Infiltrator_SF
tsgUO.gif

Well according to wiki they should only double movement speed, but I seen on some forums mentioned that they were bugged until some patch and give you haste with all its bonuses

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I guess that they could have a faster walking speed on average for the party when walking normally, like in Icewind Dale, that way characters with the boots of speed still would have an advantage but the difference wouldn't be so so abysmal like it was in BG. Maybe they are not including boots of speed at all? Who knows.

Oi Lephys I've got a job for you buddy.

Make a video where you blow something up with an explosive spell, press the slow-mo button at the right time and turn your character around and walk out of the AoE and zoom in to the closest level. Then edit those frog sunglasses in over the top and have them come down from the top of the vid and go over your character's eyes.

• Like 2

I've never made a game video before, but this seems like a good time to learn, if ever there was one. :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Good to know. I love making videos where my characters walk all epic like.

Time is such garbage. Not like there's anything better to use it on, right? Nothing more epic than walking animations in isometric games anyway.

I've never made a game video before, but this seems like a good time to learn, if ever there was one. :)

Step 1. Download crap software like FRAPS

Step 2. Hit record key with FRAPS running

Step 3. ???

Step 4. PROFIT!!

Edited by AGX-17

• 2 weeks later...

I hope there's a total of 6 pieces of movement speed increasing gear!

That was always my first goal in BG2. Get perma-haste for each of my party members.

"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"