Fat Athletes With Wood - aka The Baseball 2014 Thread

Keyrock

Joe Buck, Joe Morgan, and Tim McCarver are my holy trinity of baseball broadcaster blowhards.

Missed the baseball game. I was constantly refreshing the text based play by play feed on the Nuggets-Warriors preseason game. Best game of the night. Dubs 3rd stringers came back from a 17 pt deficit.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

PS

Still bitter about the A's self-destruction. Doing my best to avoid projecting schadenfreude towards baseball fans.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

I just looked at our pre-season predictions... we were all off

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

What do you mean?  I predicted the future.

It's an even year, so I look forward to watching the Giants win the World Series.

I'm not one to ever question Billy Beane, I'm guessing Choice will have some fatal flaw in the majors :p

Michael Choice was terrible.

GD, you picked the Royals to win the Wild Card, that was pretty impressive.

• Like 1

Gah. I'm starting to hear it from Giants fans: 3 WS appearances in 5 years.

I should switch my avatar. Too much orange for the Nippon Ham Fighters.

What do you mean?  I predicted the future.

It's an even year, so I look forward to watching the Giants win the World Series.

I'm not one to ever question Billy Beane, I'm guessing Choice will have some fatal flaw in the majors :p

Michael Choice was terrible.

GD, you picked the Royals to win the Wild Card, that was pretty impressive.

I picked the Rays to win the Series. THAT was way off. But who can figure injuries?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Joe Maddon quits. The blows keep coming for Tampa Bay. Sorry GD.

In fairness, with Friedman gone, why in the world would Maddon want to continue working for one of the cheapest teams in the league?

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Joe Maddon quits. The blows keep coming for Tampa Bay. Sorry GD.

In fairness, with Friedman gone, why in the world would Maddon want to continue working for one of the cheapest teams in the league?

Maddon had an opt-out clause in his contract (which ran thru 2015) which he could trigger if Friedman left.  On top of that, reports are that contract extension talks between Maddon and the Rays front office were, errr, contentious and Maddon felt that he was being low balled. 

He'll find a soft spot to land.  Epstein and Hoyer have him in their sites already,

PS:  How about those Royals?  :)

Edited by kgambit

I'm in shock over Maddon. From what I read he wanted 4 years at $20M. The Rays were offering 3 years at $3.5 per with two option years at $4.5M. The Rays offer would have made him the 3rd highest paid Manager after Scioscia & Girardi. I guess that wasn't enough. 

Hmmm. I wonder how Don Mattingly is sleeping these days? Fitfully I'd imagine despite what the new Dodgers President is saying.

As for the Rays, my money is on Dave Martinez or Charlie Montoya to replace Maddon. I'd prefer the former but the latter would be a solid choice.

The best twitter quote about this was from Rays pitcher Chris Archer "I guess you are only as loyal as your options"

Thomas Sowell

"I'm in shock over Maddon. From what I read he wanted 4 years at $20M. The Rays were offering 3 years at $3.5 per with two option years at $4.5M. The Rays offer would have made him the 3rd highest paid Manager after Scioscia & Girardi. I guess that wasn't enough."

Typical. Siding with the bosses. Why do people alwasy side with the ones in power? Evil.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Typical. Siding with the bosses. Why do people alwasy side with the ones in power? Evil.

:lol:  Somehow I don't think Stu Sternberg & Mat Silverman could be called evil!

But as far as Maddon goes, I hope he's happy with whatever he does. Heck 9 years with one team is highly unusual for a manager. Nobody should ever feel forced to take a job they don't want or keep one they are tired of.Besides, maybe the Rays will benefit from new blood. I sure hope so anyway because otherwise this is a big blow to this team. They have lost 66% of their brain trust right when the farm system is depleted and their future in Tampa is shaky. 

Thomas Sowell

Well it isn't over yet.  But yeah, the Giants have been winning because they pressure teams into making mistakes.  Not only are the Royals playing with enough confidence that they aren't making them, they are starting to force the Giants into mistakes.

But I'm not going to count them out, I did that twice in 2012.  

It's weird, but a lot of people don't really get how good the Giants are offensively now.  They won it in 2010 based almost completely on pitching.  They basically needed 3 runs to win any game that year, even 2 would do it sometimes.  Then in 2012 they were a bit better with the bats, but still had multiple aces.  Now they are a hitting team, the lineup when healthy is going to give pitchers trouble.  That's good, because their pitching is more suspect.