Obsidian looking for Project Eternity Contract Writer

Contract Writer

Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a talented, self-motivated Contract Writer to join our growing team of RPG developers.

The Contract Writer will be responsible for creating fun, engaging narrative in the Project Eternity universe.

Applying their expert knowledge of language and design, they will populate the world of Project Eternity with interesting characters, quests, and items.

This is an in-house position at our studios in Irvine, California.

Requirements
  • Professional writing experience and/or degree or training in creative writing
  • Ability to be resourceful and come up with creative solutions
  • Ability to work on a team and respond to feedback from Senior Designers and the Creative Lead
  • Strong skills in dialogue, prose, characterization, and theme development
  • Strong organizational and communication skills
  • Ability to rapidly master proprietary tools and development pipelines
  • Passion for gaming
Pluses
  • Experience working with game engine toolsets - Unity, Unreal, etc.
  • Experience working in a team environment
  • Good understanding of tabletop RPGs and "Western"-style CRPGs
Responsibilities
  • Create fun, engaging dialogue for NPCs and companions
  • Create critical path quests and journal entries
  • Generate item, spell, and ability descriptions
  • Review and improve previously created NPC dialogues
  • Work closely with Creative Lead and Designers to ensure story targets are met or exceeded
  • Complete work under reasonable deadlines
Portfolio Requirements
  • A web portfolio that demonstrates a range of high quality writing samples.
  • Simply apply via e-mail: jobs@obsidian.net.
  • Please put the job you are applying to in the subject line please.
  • Please no phone calls or drop-ins. We only accept emailed applications.

Oh to be a young man without the responsibilities of kith and kin again.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

It's a little bit worrying that some of these positions have been open for quite a while - the contract VFX Artist for instance, and the Environment artist position.

Edited by Sensuki

It's a little bit worrying that some of these positions have been open for quite a while - the contract VFX Artist for instance, and the Environment artist position.

Yes. clearly Obsidian didn't have neither position filled because we didn't saw neither VFX nor environment.

Sarcasm aside, did you noticed that VFX is for MMORPG and the Environment Artist position is for intern?

There is another one for project eternity in Project Eternity for both cases. So, sensuki's right. But, it's not too worrysome yet imo since job searches are pretty time intensive and I imagine both positions aren't quite needed yet before full-on crunch. Though they should be filled soon.

What if the talent doesn't exist in California then? This is kind of what I wanted to get at with this thread. Not really "outsourcing" it but a possibility for a career. What if the talent exists in... I don't know... England. Of course, it'd be simpler to say "What if the talent exists in Ohio?". The below could be a sort of "preparing for transfer" and "test period" as well. "Is this someone trustworthy we want in our office? And can they deliver?".

Getting a job like this, and work in an office environment from their home computer could give them a possibility for a career (and remain in contact with Obsidian by getting a dedicated cheap laptop for them to use). Work the same hours as Obsidian, use Skype and the "Share Screen" function (so that if Obsidian wants to check up on the person they can easily do so, like they can for any employee, a voice chat can also always be active so if Obsidian wishes to speak with the Laptop guy in England they'd also be able to do so without a moments notice).

The whole idea with the thread (linked above) was a suggestion to find talent for companies & provide a career for the talent, and not to find cheap contract employees.

*shrug* it'd give Obsidian, or any company really, way more options in case "talent" is scarce in the area (again, what if there is no Enviro Artist in the Cali area which Obsidian is asking for).

Edited by Osvir

Though they should be filled soon.

The longer the enviro artist one is open the less areas we get in the game.

Depends on how Many areas are planned and other stuff. So, I don't really think that's as simple.

What if the talent doesn't exist in California then? This is kind of what I wanted to get at with this thread. Not really "outsourcing" it but a possibility for a career. What if the talent exists in... I don't know... England. Of course, it'd be simpler to say "What if the talent exists in Ohio?". The below could be a sort of "preparing for transfer" and "test period" as well. "Is this someone trustworthy we want in our office? And can they deliver?".

Getting a job like this, and work in an office environment from their home computer could give them a possibility for a career (and remain in contact with Obsidian by getting a dedicated cheap laptop for them to use). Work the same hours as Obsidian, use Skype and the "Share Screen" function (so that if Obsidian wants to check up on the person they can easily do so, like they can for any employee, a voice chat can also always be active so if Obsidian wishes to speak with the Laptop guy in England they'd also be able to do so without a moments notice).

The whole idea with the thread (linked above) was a suggestion to find talent for companies & provide a career for the talent, and not to find cheap contract employees.

*shrug* it'd give Obsidian, or any company really, way more options in case "talent" is scarce in the area (again, what if there is no Enviro Artist in the Cali area which Obsidian is asking for).

There are of course enviroment artists in Cali. It's close to impossible there aren't. Just because the position is still open doesn't mean there are no applicatns cuurently under consideration.

Also generally, outsourcing stuff imo always has risks appointed to it and is supoptimal on a communication basis. And there are few things as important as communication. Moreso when we are even talking about a different country here. There is a thing called time zones.

Edited by C2B

There are of course enviroment artists in Cali. It's close to impossible there aren't. Just because the position is still open doesn't mean there are no applicatns cuurently under consideration.

Also generally, outsourcing stuff imo always has risks appointed to it and is supoptimal on a communication basis. And there are few things as important as communication. Moreso when we are even talking about a different country here. There is a thing called time zones.

Time zones: Yes. That is up to the individual is it not? I mean, if I had a chance to get a job at Obsidian or any game development company off country, I'd adjust my daily routines and time schedule. In this example, it would be entirely up to me. People work morning, day, evening, night~ and it is up to them because they probably went into it knowing what was required of them. Solutions, not problems.

Different part of the world/different states: Let's put it closer to "home" then. What if there is talent in Colorado, or Arizona? But they are either intimidated or don't think they've got a chance (due to the "in-house" requirement) and thus won't apply at all to begin with. Or someone living in middle of Texas, but aren't ready to commit to it entirely (moving to south Cali in this case) and won't apply either. "Is there a future for the talent/employee at the company?" kind of deal, or would they move to Cali, work a couple of months, then move back to Texas when their time is over, or can they build a career? A sort of safety for the employee~ (if they live far off)

I strongly believe a "long-distance" working environment could be healthy for office based companies for a "pre-on-location" employment, but specially for talent. Again, I'm not talking about "outsourcing", or maybe I am, but a different variant of it.

Communication as it usually is:
- Go up to person
- Talk with person

Communication in my idea:
- Go up to laptop
- Talk with person

There isn't any difference to it in the act itself. Of course, it is different to talk to someone over the phone than talking to someone directly eye-to-eye. But in a professional environment it shouldn't matter where you communicate but how you communicate so that you can get the job done. Having a sense of purpose.

I am sure the talent exists in Cali as well, that's why I said "IF". Because I am 100% sure that there is talent somewhere in the world, IF there is none for the job in Cali.

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

Depends on how Many areas are planned and other stuff. So, I don't really think that's as simple.

Let's say the position doesn't fill for a month.

That's one months worth of environment art that the game doesn't get whether that be props, inyeriors or areas.

No need to go all herpy derpy not so sharp one.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

Let's say the position doesn't fill for a month.That's one months worth of environment art that the game doesn't get whether that be props, inyeriors or areas.No need to go all herpy derpy not so sharp one.
Why the insult? What did I ever do to you Sensuki?

I'm very butthurt. ;)

And still depends on the management of the project. More people effectivly used would be better, of course. But that wasn't my point was it?

Or if it was unclear. Creating areas/props isn't the artists entire responsibilty. And they aren't infinite. So they aren't creating 24/7 for the rest of the project anyway.

Edited by C2B

That's one months worth of environment art that the game doesn't get whether that be props, inyeriors or areas.

Or use the hipothetical artist's salary to pay another artist more in order to work additional hours, or delay the product one month etc. I don't say that don't finding soon is a good thing, but there are ways to deal with it.

I'M ALSO BUILDING THE JETPACKS.

EDIT: P.S. HOW DO YOU TURN OFF CAPS LOCK AND BOLD?

Edited by Kjaamor
  • Like 1

I strongly believe a "long-distance" working environment could be healthy for office based companies for a "pre-on-location" employment, but specially for talent. Again, I'm not talking about "outsourcing", or maybe I am, but a different variant of it.

Communication as it usually is:

- Go up to person

- Talk with person

Communication in my idea:

- Go up to laptop

- Talk with person

There isn't any difference to it in the act itself. Of course, it is different to talk to someone over the phone than talking to someone directly eye-to-eye. But in a professional environment it shouldn't matter where you communicate but how you communicate so that you can get the job done. Having a sense of purpose.

It should not matter, but I can tell you from extensive experience that it most definitely does. For the past 8 years or so, I have been working in a large, international collaboration in which people have no choice but to work with others remotely. We have state-of-the-art videoconferencing software as well as special rooms equipped with microphones and cameras. It's certainly possible to work like this, but a group would have to be insane to choose to do so. Videoconferencing is just not the same as being in the same room with someone -- you can get the content across, but the body language is missing, facial expressions are harder to pay attention to (particularly when there are multiple people in a conversation) and the timing is off. We actually take the time, money and effort to have a large fraction of the group meet in person every few months despite the fact that this means transoceanic flights for many of us.

Long story short, "long-distance" work is possible and there are plenty of organizations which make use of it because we have no choice, but no sane company would go out of its way to court it.

• Like 2

By that same token, all the time spent in pre-production designing and figuring out exactly what areas they want and how many they want was time that wasn't spent actually grunt-forcing out quantities and quantities of areas. That means we get fewer areas than if they had just started building areas from day 1. And the time it took them to actually post the position... that's all environment-building time, wasted.

See, without further actual criteria/bases, EVERYTHING not spent on environment building is technically going to result in less completed environment art for the final product. But, less than what? We don't even know why the position is going unfilled, do we? What if they have a plan? They posted it earlier than they'd actually NEED the artist, and they're just considering lots and lots of applicants in a very careful fashion before choosing?

So many unknowns. I don't know that jumping to the conclusion of "Omg, every day that someone doesn't get hired actually detracts from the quality of the final product we WOULD'VE had if they had hired someone infinite time ago!" is a healthy or necessary decision at the moment. That kinda just brews arbitrary worry.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u