C2B's Next-Gen Obsidian RPG Speculation thread

C2B

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Misread.

• Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

new IP? something completely different.

Victorian you say?

Well you are the plumber of a sick city, you work in the sewers to clean them up and keep the machines working. meanwhile you try to set out your own living space down there, make it nice, dry, comfortable. You can spend time tunneling to wealthy mansions and as you add these rich folk to the plumbing network you gain access to their houses and can spy on them. This voyeurism is essential in coercing/manipulating your bosses into letting you get better places to work, alternatively you can rob the houses and bring the cool stuff back into the tunnels.

I dunno, there is just so much that could be done

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I don't think it will be Star Wars related. The Star Wars license is now in EA's hands and they have a big in-house RPG dev in the form of Bioware, so I doubt they'd go to Obsidian for that.

In this Kotaku article from a while back, Feargus said they were being contacted by Warner Bros (amongst others) to do an RPG with them.

Warner Bros has two big franchises that they like to turn into video-games: Lord of the Rings and their DC Comics IPs.

Warner Bros has also stated that they want to look into expanding their roster of DC Comics branded games beyond the Arkham games and Batman.

Could Obsidian's next project be an RPG based on a DC property?

This may all be wishful thinking on my part though.

God almighty I hope not.  DC sucks.

And you are fully entitled to your wrong opinion.

DC's current editorial for their comics and their cinematic universe may be (severely) lacking, but they have some fantastic ips and a rich history to draw from.

They also own Vertigo, so there's that.

Edited by GhoulishVisage

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

And you are fully entitled to your wrong opinion.

DC's current editorial for their comics and their cinematic universe may be (severely) lacking, but they have some fantastic ips and a rich history to draw from.

They also own Vertigo, so there's that.

They have some good IPs, sure.  It's almost impossible for them not to.  But you're absolutely right about their current editorial focus. It is off-the-rails stupid, IMO.  Batman is played out, and the Man of Steel film was a hilarious disaster.  Superman as a character is one of the most boring and dumb IPs around, and it is time for him to retire.  I think the Superman/Batman movie is going to be an embarrassment. 

You are also right about Vertigo, which is probably their strongest imprint in my view, at least from an artistic impression.  They do some really creative things with that label.  So maybe if they do decide to expand the franchise (and here we might not even be talking about what Obsidian has to do with it, since this is all speculation anyways) it will be Vertigo property and it will be awesome.  

Edited by decado

I was thinking about some DC properties that could make for interesting RPGs. Off the top of my head:

Doom Patrol
Swamp Thing/Animal Man
Starman
The Shade
Gotham Central (Considering Avellone's interest in a The Wire RPG)
Demon Knights

Secret 6
Hellblazer
Frankenstein - Agents of SHADE

JLI

Astro City

That's some non-Vetigo stuff of course.

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive