Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Conversation lightweight UI mockup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

MCZ

MCZ

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts

Hi all,

I just made a quick mockup for conversations UI since I think it's time to move on from panel interfaces to something more lightweight. Notes below.

Attached File  eternity_ui.jpg   177KB   14 downloads

1. Mockup doesn't show how it actaully should look like (there could be some nice frame around window, icons are just symbolic etc.).

2. Every dialog entry contains portrait of character who spoke/acted provided it is available. I believe it's definitely better than Obsidian's initial concept (no offence  :-) ), because it allows to have more portraits when player is engaged in conversation with multiple (N)PCs.

3. By standard behaviour dialog window appears nearby characters on map, but you can drag it (by clicking wherever within it where is not located some active zone - button, dialog option etc.) and move freely around.

4. At the bottom there are two options - dock window to bottom so it will be like standard pane - this option should be remembered for future conversation unless a player sets it back. Second is ability to resize window.

5. Background is transparent, however text has shadow for better readability.

It's just a modest concept, so no need to take it too seriously. Let me know what you think though :-).

• JFSOCC likes this

Silent Winter

Silent Winter

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1594 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Things I like about it:

- the inclusion of the NPC portraits staying on the 'log'

- The slightly transparent background looks nice.

Things I don't like about it: - the location (though I like that you include an option to dock it where you want it)

- The fact that it's detached from the style suggested in the official update

- call me crazy but I like the wood finish.

Edited by Silent Winter, 07 September 2013 - 12:43 AM.

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Not gonna happen bro.

Rostere

Rostere

Illuminatus of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1084 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The visual style is horrid, 0/10. Plus I'd like the conversation window to be docked to the bottom of the screen.

VladWorks

VladWorks

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 36 posts
Sorry I'm against any floating conversation window (even if it's dockable). I do like the portraits to be present during conversation.

AGX-17

AGX-17

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1735 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
You're really going to have to work harder if you want to be in the same league as Prosper. Step up your game, son!

Edited by AGX-17, 17 September 2013 - 06:25 PM.

moridin84

moridin84

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

A dockable resizeable conversation window makes sense for multiplayer games where you will have conversations while doing other things. It doesn't really make sense in a single player game where you can't really do much else while having a conversations.

At the same you don't want the conversation window to block the screen.

• Lephys likes this

Quadrone

Quadrone

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Aside from the fact that I don't really like any of it, I just don't understand why someone would make this?

Making a UI with no basis to go on, is this like fanfiction for people who are into graphic design?

Edited by Quadrone, 18 September 2013 - 03:26 PM.

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3116 posts
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yeah would have warned you before posting, even if you somehow based this on obsidians designs (which they haven't shown for conversation ui yet have they?), the vast majority of this forum is going to hate whatever your mockup is no matter what.  It isn't a great mockup per se because it is so basic and rough.  I get where you are going with it.... but I do still think the conversation window in the game should be on the bottom of the screen.  That said I wouldn't worry about portraits, everyone seems to want that and I would be surprised if they don't work it in somehow, even if it is slightly redundant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users