It's called Eternity right? The "Project" part is just it's development name?

They definitely can help, but I don't find them to be particularly important either. I had no prior experience to the forgotten realms setting before playing Baldur's Gate, so the title was not at all evocative or informative for me. I got the game because the pictures and description on the back of the box made it sound cool (at the time I was super into Tolkien, Warcraft, and the Elder Scrolls and Fallout had got me hooked on CRPGs, so BG sounded like the perfect game for me).

I'd never heard of Baldur's Gate before I played the crpg but I still think the name had a good resonance.

If it had been called 'Perrywinkle's Gate' then it wouldn't have struck the same chord.

The name is hardly the most important thing, but to attract customers browsing on the (virtual-)shelf, it has an impact.

Baldur's Gate - 3 syllables,

Icewind Dale - 3 syllables,

Planescape Torment - 4 syllables,

Temple of Elemental Evil - ok, 9 syllables, but it sounds cool

Eternity - 4 syllables and evokes fantasy atmosphere

Still, as someone who's already going to buy it on day 1 (or possibly day 2 due to the timezones) it wouldn't stop me if it were called 'Obsidian's latest rpg with a heavy accent on bunnies' (or Olrwahaob' for short).

I'm just thinking of the masses...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

They definitely can help, but I don't find them to be particularly important either. I had no prior experience to the forgotten realms setting before playing Baldur's Gate, so the title was not at all evocative or informative for me. I got the game because the pictures and description on the back of the box made it sound cool (at the time I was super into Tolkien, Warcraft, and the Elder Scrolls and Fallout had got me hooked on CRPGs, so BG sounded like the perfect game for me).

While I agree that aside from not badly misrepresenting the product, they aren't critical per se, a great name can subtly do more than sell copies - it sets the player's mind in the right direction. Why has "Everyone Gone to the Rapture" mean? Who's looking for "Closure?" Will they find it? How come "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress?" Who/what is the "Neuromancer?" "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" Who is "Justine?"

Not yet, but I like how you're thinking  :thumbsup:

How does one project "eternity"? I bring up the Akilles example again, talking about the idea of how to become "immortal" (like Akilles) is one way to project an idea of how to become eternal... but it's still not quite "projecting" eternity physically, it's just a "how to" idea... but to project "Eternity" or "Immortality" in it's pure essence of meaning, physically? I'm having trouble theorizing how one would be able to do such a thing in a fantastical and imaginative sense.

But... maybe... if a God could grant someone else immortality or Godhood somehow... that would be kind of like "projecting" Eternity onto someone else?

That's in a "in-game" sense.

For an out-of-game sense.

This forum. We are projecting our ideas for what we'd like to see and what we envision PE, as a game, both could become and what we want it to become.

"Project Eternity" could be seen as "Talk about this game we want to name Eternity. What do you envision it could be? What do you want it to be? What kinds of ideas do you have to bring to the table?" etc. etc.

If "Project" is a verb, then Eternity is (I believe) no doubt the title of the game. A.k.a. in short "Envision Eternity" and the longer version "Envision what the game 'Eternity' could be like".

But I stand my ground, PE is a great "Acronym" or "Signature Initials". Simply having it as E sounds almost too short. Though, they could always go with "EY" (Ey, sup yo got flo' bro?) or "ET" (but I guess that one is kind of copyrighted)  :p

well given that the universe goes on for an eternity, which equates to an ever expanding universe that will keep expanding so long as there is something traveling towards the edge, in effect pushing the universe outwards.  thus the game is about increasing the size of the universe for some reason or other, maybe the size of the universe dictates how many gods exist?  thus your job is to ensure that there is room for some god (maybe yourself, as you might be making room for yourself to ascend into godhood).

• Like 1

The Journeyman Project, man that was a long long time ago. It's a shame the series died.

I always felt this was a brother the the Myst seeries.

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.