Space Fans: X Rebirth has a Release Date!

Luridis

So they finally got enough reviews for Metacritic to give them a score.

/drum roll

28/100

LOL, that's dangerously close to Leisure Suit Larry Box Office Bust territory, though still nowhere near Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing territory.  It's currently the 34th worst rated PC game ever on Metacritic.  Granted, I'm sure that score will change over time.

Probably one of the worst Metacritic scores for a game ever. I feel sorry for Egosoft. But you know, when one streamlines, one should not use a f*cking chainsaw. I think Confucius said that.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

Did this ever get patched into a decent game?

Asking because it's on sale right now but the sale price still seems kinda high, particularly if it is still crap

I just installed it again after I gave up on the game a week or so after its disastrous launch.  I haven't played it enough to properly judge it, but from the bit I played today it definitely has improved.  For one, there are now multiple starting states, besides the regular awful campaign start.  The new start satates also include different c0ckpit designs.  Unfortunately, at least in the one different start state I tried, the annoying as **** co-pilot lady is still there and, to the best of my knowledge, there is still no way to jettison her ito the cold black of space.  Performace of the game seems to have improved a bit, though it's still not very good, and there are more graphical options.  The interface is a bit better now too, though still not great.  My flightstick finally functions properly and you can now do most of your business without ever disembarking your ship into the dismal station interiors.  Character models and animations are still horrifically bad, but at least they have a little more variety now and everyone doesn't look like a 90 year old woman.

The game has definitely improved, but I still don't think I could recommend it with a clear conscience.  Keep in mind that the sample size is quite small.  I'll play it some more over the next few days, but unless something wows me that I haven't seen yet, I'll likely shelve it and go back to X3: Terran Conflict until a version 2.5 or 3.0 comes out.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'll hold off for now

To be honest, I wouldn't get it at all. I've loved the X games, they're something unique in the spacesim genre, more economy based than combat. They have always been rocky at launch, but what was there was enough to make you think once this is patched/modded it's going to be good. With X-Rebirth I never thought that. Barring an exceptional expansion, I don't see any future for it. Could be wrong of course.

I would recommend keeping a closer eye on the new Elite, that looks fantastic.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I am quite new to this, can someone please tell me if I would like it if I enjoy EVE? I played Freelancer and its quite ok for fighting but doing trading in it was boring as hell. And I dont like first person look in large ships, is there some strategic view for flying bigger/capital ships?

Thanks guys

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"