Only 9 month left for estimated delibery

I want them to take their time with PE. I would actually prefer a mid-summer or winter 2014 release date, because with playing the other KS games, replaying the classics, having a GF/social life, working out, work, and working on my degree, I don't have that much time on my hands.

Damn son but for someone who doesn't have much time on there hands you sure spend a lot of time on these forums? I would hate to see what you would do if you did have time on your hands  :nuke:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you're seriously expecting to see this game before 2016, you need professional help.

With what money would they fund 2 extra years of development? I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if they delay it compared to the estimated release date, in fact I'm expecting it, because it was an estimate made when they still didn't have a prototype running in Unity, didn't have the pipelines all set, and weren't expecting to get that much more compared to the $1.1 million target goal. A delay of *that* magnitude however is quite improbable.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you're seriously expecting to see this game before 2016, you need professional help.

You are guys are completely bonkers if you think PE will be ready before 2018, and to be honest I think that's fine as I need at least 6 years to convince some of the members of the importance of Romance\Sex and its inclusion in the grand RPG world of PE :devil:

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You guys are insane.  I expect the game on time or an official announcement saying that won't happen.  If it isn't out by fall-early winter 2014 someone is seriously dropping the ball.  Once you finish making the resources, creating the story, and making sure everything "works", all you have to do is assemble it, add final touches, and do some bug testing.  I am pretty sure they are on the "make sure it works" part right now with the vertical slice.

In software development, the first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time. 

I think that if they don't have it "90%" done by June next year they won't hit the Winter 2014 deadline. And I'm assuming those started testing at least a few months before that mark. 

You are guys are completely bonkers if you think PE will be ready before 2018, and to be honest I think that's fine as I need at least 6 years to convince some of the members of the importance of Romance\Sex and its inclusion in the grand RPG world of PE  :devil:

If it takes them until 2018 (or even 2016) to make the game then it probably won't be a good game. The development dragging out too long is almost as bad as it being cut short. 

Edited by moridin84
  • Like 1

. Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance. 

You guys are insane.  I expect the game on time or an official announcement saying that won't happen.  If it isn't out by fall-early winter 2014 someone is seriously dropping the ball.  Once you finish making the resources, creating the story, and making sure everything "works", all you have to do is assemble it, add final touches, and do some bug testing.  I am pretty sure they are on the "make sure it works" part right now with the vertical slice.

Yes, it's just a matter of assembling it and nothing can go wrong there! :biggrin:

Obsidian burns through $1mil a month in expenditure. They will not be holding back from releasing it for too long. Mid 2014 latest. Then either it sells enough to self fund future PE titles, or it's back to kickstarter for the next one.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I think you guys are missing my point.  Assuming a late fall-winter 2014 release they have basically a year and a half to do nothing but putting the game together, applying final touches like graphics passes, and then the unfun probably most time consuming part which never really ends... bug testing.  My point is if they are delaying the game past the original projection they need to be upfront and honest not, well... lets delay it and let everyone assumes it is some unspoken delay... yeah....

This isn't the same as other game development projects.  The reason many indie games get pushed out fast is because of Unity, it isn't like it is an unused engine.  The list of games being developed with it and have already been put to market using it is enormous.  A very large part of dev time in Obsidian's past was dealing with their own engine, or the highly buggy and unstable engine from someone else.  Gamerbryo anyone?  Unity is neither buggy, or unstable, and they don't have to spend any of their own time developing it.  Many of the tools they need for this game (if not all of them) are either already in the engine, or have already been made for it and just need to be added in through expansions which Unity does support.  Trust me, that takes a chunk out of the cost/time pie.

If I am understood correctly they are currently finalizing their production piplelines, which mean that they can do accurate estimate of PE's completion date after they have finalized those pipelines as then they know how long it take them to do everything that they have planed.

I Many of the tools they need for this game (if not all of them) are either already in the engine, or have already been made for it and just need to be added in through expansions which Unity does support.

A lot of the tools they actually ported from their own engine.

Edited by C2B

This isn't the same as other game development projects.  The reason many indie games get pushed out fast is because of Unity, it isn't like it is an unused engine.  The list of games being developed with it and have already been put to market using it is enormous.  A very large part of dev time in Obsidian's past was dealing with their own engine, or the highly buggy and unstable engine from someone else.  Gamerbryo anyone?  Unity is neither buggy, or unstable, and they don't have to spend any of their own time developing it.  Many of the tools they need for this game (if not all of them) are either already in the engine, or have already been made for it and just need to be added in through expansions which Unity does support.  Trust me, that takes a chunk out of the cost/time pie.

I disagree with this assessment.  Yes, using another engine helps a GREAT deal for a lot of things, but I think you're woefully understating what modifications, if any, would need to be done in order for the engine to do all the things that they want it to do for the type of game that they want to make.  Further, I think you also greatly underestimate the time and iteration required for only the content creation.  Especially if you want to be reactive.

Further, bug testing should be a part of the agile development process, and done throughout the project.  You seem to have isolated it to the end of the project, which from personal experience I would suggest as being a poor idea.

Edited by alanschu