To everyone complaining about the recent change . . .

The UI was another one that had quite a large debate about whether the UI should be bigger or smaller. They found that useful as well.

Obsidian are pretty on the ball regarding their update structure. As per one of Josh's posts he was the least satisfied with Crafting out of all of the skills and already knew that it would work as an abstract action. Perhaps that is even how it was coded in the first place, in a way that if they removed it as a skill it would not take much time (Crafting is probably a programming class, so they'd just have to change the relationship with the skill class (likely inheritance or something)

Edited by Sensuki

For me it read like this = people complain that they have too much money. Durability is a money sink.

So they put in a rather annoying mechanic just to drain the amount of money you have.

It's a self-licking lollipop.

So Sawyer asks us "do you care about being rich?"

Loads of us say, "not really, but a few different ways of spending it would be nice."

He replies, "OK, that's cool" and removes something he thought might make us happy but wouldn't. Hopefully this will give the team more time to make other Cool Stuff in Project Eternity.

Why is this such a big deal when it looks very much like common sense to me?

• Like 7

sonsofgygax.JPG

Sometimes it is very wise indeed to listen to the player base. Of course you can't design a game by committee (well, actually you kinda can!) but getting designers to listen to fan feedback has been something we, as CRPG fans, have been demanding for the last 25 years.

What I'm concerned about is that there is a very loud minority of backers who I think originate mostly from a few hubs on the net and who will continue to try and take influence on the design. While my own preferences and theirs may align in some points, this is certainly not true for everything.

<snip>

You have a forum account and typing skills. I'm going to assume you know how to state your arguments.

So, you have a voice. I'm sure that if you disagree with others, you are perfectly capable of arguing against their points.

--

We should have more controversy sometimes, it brings some activity and inspiration to the forums :p

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Sometimes it is very wise indeed to listen to the player base. Of course you can't design a game by committee (well, actually you kinda can!) but getting designers to listen to fan feedback has been something we, as CRPG fans, have been demanding for the last 25 years.

What I'm concerned about is that there is a very loud minority of backers who I think originate mostly from a few hubs on the net and who will continue to try and take influence on the design. While my own preferences and theirs may align in some points, this is certainly not true for everything.

<snip>

You have a forum account and typing skills. I'm going to assume you know how to state your arguments.

So, you have a voice. I'm sure that if you disagree with others, you are perfectly capable of arguing against their points.

--

We should have more controversy sometimes, it brings some activity and inspiration to the forums :p

You're assuming that it was the critics' arguments, not their number, that made Obs reconsider. I don't think so.

There have been large numbers protesting other features which didn't get changed because of it. How do you explain that?

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

There have been large numbers protesting other features which didn't get changed because of it. How do you explain that?

If they are unsure about a mechanic, or if they included a mechanic for the single reason to avoid frustrations that players have complained about in previous games, seeing something like public feedback can make all the difference. This would not apply to all features in the game, naturally.

If they are unsure about a mechanic, or if they included a mechanic for the single reason to avoid frustrations that players have complained about in previous games, seeing something like public feedback can make all the difference. This would not apply to all features in the game, naturally.

So they aren't sure if it's a good idea themselves, or it's not part of their "vision" but it's included for the single reason to avoid frustrations a vocal minority has had in the past.

Doesn't sound to me like a feature that is very important or good in the first place. Sure enough not something that Obsidian was hell bent to have and we evil backers forced them to remove with our cries... :getlost:

For me it read like this = people complain that they have too much money. Durability is a money sink.

So they put in a rather annoying mechanic just to drain the amount of money you have.

It's a self-licking lollipop.

So Sawyer asks us "do you care about being rich?"

Loads of us say, "not really, but a few different ways of spending it would be nice."

He replies, "OK, that's cool" and removes something he thought might make us happy but wouldn't. Hopefully this will give the team more time to make other Cool Stuff in Project Eternity.

Why is this such a big deal when it looks very much like common sense to me?

I also think it's got to do with the setting and feel of the game.

Maybe the team decided it didn't fit with their vision of P:E? Maybe it messed with pacing? Interfered with how they did encounters? Balancing etc.

There is a lot more to it than Sawyer looking at these forums, and getting scared by the response of some people. We aren't that important.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I saw four camps, basically.

* Hate crafting

* Hate durability

* Don't care either way

* Hate "You Must Take Crafting If You Want Durability To Be Less Annoying"

I'm in that fourth bracket. Either may be implemented well for the right reasons, but shoehorning the two together like that just felt manipulative, which in turn tainted the feel and potential of both systems/mechanics for me.

Agreed. That said, I am very pleased with Obsidian management of Project: Eternity. While Kickstarting avoids many caveats of the traditional publisher model, it comes attached with new complications. Obsidian is pioneering this route with a greater deal of professionalism, organization, and courtesy than just about any other developer other there. The only pressure I fear them succumbing to, is releasing before it's 100% ready.

I don't think that will be a problem (as in they will not release it until it is ready). Look how careful they have been with their Pre-production. No early gameplay video and they haven't moved into Production yet. From the date of the Kickstarter they have now been in Pre-production for nearly 8 months (instead of 6).

There will be a beta test (possibly two), so those that bought beta access will be able to play at least some of the game it in a semi-unfinished state.

Edited by Sensuki