X-Box One

Than steam came out, with it's internet DRM...and in many ways offered similar ideas...you can download your games and have them connected to a profile.  Though not always sync'd with a specific computer...like the Xbox, you can access the games mostly everywhere...just like with the Xbox One, if you carry your console you should be able to access the games anywhere as long as you have an internet connection.  Now you can play steam games offline...but most don't...in fact most who use steam keep their computer connected...and I'd say the majority if not most actually have their computer connected all the time.

False equivalency much? Here's a secret, every single one of my Steam games is backed up in it's original folder structure with a crack set up and fully playable on my storage drives with a soft link to take advantage of any primary drive saves. Steam DRM is ridiculously easy to crack by design. The only reasons they have it at all is for legal coverage and publisher mollification as well as multiplayer verification. It's not really there to stop pirates. Moreover, offline mode works quite well and lasts for three months. So, if for some bizarre assed reason, I wanted to cart my 70lb tower around when on a road trip, i would only have to log in once every three months to play my games. Even members of the military can get some sort of internet connection that often(Seriously though, with the 24hr connection process they wrote off the entire military sector which is, quite frankly, ****ing stupid. In fact, if Sony was at all smart they would offer a promotion to military members for 10% off of games during the 1st year of the PS4s release). Whereas I've had multi-day broadband outages before and continued to play my PC and console games.

Calling the XBone's DRM similar to Steam's is like calling Obama's Fast and Furious program similar to Bush's Wide Receiver. Only in the broadest ways are they at all similar, and thus the only people who can legitimately hold that opinion are those who are ignorant of the details. Everyone else holding that opinion must be a blanket partisan.

Sooooo...you pirate your Steam games then???

Do you perhaps need to take remedial english classes? I said my backups are cracked. As of last count I have over 75 steam games. Of which 10 or so are F2P things. And all of the games which have single player functionality have cracked versions on my storage drives. The only ones which are unplayable with my normal saves are the Fallout/TES games because I haven't replicated my mod structures on the backups.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

Than steam came out, with it's internet DRM...and in many ways offered similar ideas...you can download your games and have them connected to a profile.  Though not always sync'd with a specific computer...like the Xbox, you can access the games mostly everywhere...just like with the Xbox One, if you carry your console you should be able to access the games anywhere as long as you have an internet connection.  Now you can play steam games offline...but most don't...in fact most who use steam keep their computer connected...and I'd say the majority if not most actually have their computer connected all the time.

False equivalency much? Here's a secret, every single one of my Steam games is backed up in it's original folder structure with a crack set up and fully playable on my storage drives with a soft link to take advantage of any primary drive saves. Steam DRM is ridiculously easy to crack by design. The only reasons they have it at all is for legal coverage and publisher mollification as well as multiplayer verification. It's not really there to stop pirates. Moreover, offline mode works quite well and lasts for three months. So, if for some bizarre assed reason, I wanted to cart my 70lb tower around when on a road trip, i would only have to log in once every three months to play my games. Even members of the military can get some sort of internet connection that often(Seriously though, with the 24hr connection process they wrote off the entire military sector which is, quite frankly, ****ing stupid. In fact, if Sony was at all smart they would offer a promotion to military members for 10% off of games during the 1st year of the PS4s release). Whereas I've had multi-day broadband outages before and continued to play my PC and console games.

Calling the XBone's DRM similar to Steam's is like calling Obama's Fast and Furious program similar to Bush's Wide Receiver. Only in the broadest ways are they at all similar, and thus the only people who can legitimately hold that opinion are those who are ignorant of the details. Everyone else holding that opinion must be a blanket partisan.

Sooooo...you pirate your Steam games then???

Do you perhaps need to take remedial english classes? I said my backups are cracked. As of last count I have over 75 steam games. Of which 10 or so are F2P things. And all of the games which have single player functionality have cracked versions on my storage drives. The only ones which are unplayable with my normal saves are the Fallout/TES games because I haven't replicated my mod structures on the backups.

No, I don't need remedial English...cracked Steam games are considered pirated as you've nullified the DRM...in some nations it's also considered very illegal due to how they've written laws in regards to getting around (aka...in your case, cracked exe's to run the games independent of Steam, at least that's how the cracked exe's work, and they are created in many instances by the same guys who pirate so they can distribute it via P2P/Torrent without the need for steam) DRM.  Specifically, DRM inclusive of STEAM.  Ironically, even in some nations which have it illegal to circumvent various forms of DRM, won't prosecute you for making a backup if it's copy protected by other measures...and you are allowed to have backups...BUT it's not the backups that are illegal...it's the circumventing of the DRM (and as I said, inclusive of STEAM's program itself) which is illegal and in many instances also considered piracy as per the laws in those nations.

DRM circumvention is not copyright infringement, cracking is not the same as pirating, you don't understand what the words mean.

His terminology is off, but his point is valid. Circumventing DRM is illegal in many countries.

DRM circumvention is not copyright infringement, cracking is not the same as pirating, you don't understand what the words mean.

His terminology is off, but his point is valid. Circumventing DRM is illegal in many countries.

Yeah, so? Malum prohibitum laws are ****ing bull**** dreamt up by authoritarian **** who should go die in a fire. They are the reason the average adult commits three felonies a day, whether aware or not. Moreover, while the probability of being caught downloading games is very small but still real, the probability of getting caught merely using the cracks is so infinitesimal as to be laughable.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

Yeah, so? Malum prohibitum laws are ****ing bull**** dreamt up by authoritarian **** who should go die in a fire. They are the reason the average adult commits three felonies a day, whether aware or not. Moreover, while the probability of being caught downloading games is very small but still real, the probability of getting caught merely using the cracks is so infinitesimal as to be laughable.

That wasn't the point though.  It's rather moot now that MS has backtracked...BUT...there were illegal cracks for all the consoles and DRM's that have come out thus far (well most of them).  If MS had pursued the same route they were going, I'm relatively certain someone would have put out a way to crack the Xbox One.  If someone is willing to crack their steam account and games and circumvent DRM...why should DRM on a console even bother them when they could do the exact same thing there.

Luckily we don't have to find out or know now, as MS has changed it's policy after a general declaration by hundreds on the internet that they were going to get PS4's instead.

I for one didn't intend on getting the Xbox One with the always on internet so it was basically a null factor for me.

Edit:  If there was some confusion on my context, it's probably because he posted one line out of the entire post which used that sentence regarding the piracy.

Edited by greylord

I think people need to come up with a better nick for this console than XBone, which reads more as X-Bone than Xbox-One.

For me, that's kinda the point. I've been calling the original XBox, the Xbox1 since the 360 came out (which I to referred my 360 as: my Xbox since I thought saying Xbox 360 was dumb and kinda cumbersome with all of those needless syllables)

Xbone to me is my way of distinguishing it from the original Xbox (see all of those extra needless letters and syllables), while also in a way, showing my contempt for such a stupid name for a third console.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

I think people need to come up with a better nick for this console than XBone, which reads more as X-Bone than Xbox-One.

For me, that's kinda the point. I've been calling the original XBox, the Xbox1 since the 360 came out (which I to referred my 360 as: my Xbox since I thought saying Xbox 360 was dumb and kinda cumbersome with all of those needless syllables)

Xbone to me is my way of distinguishing it from the original Xbox (see all of those extra needless letters and syllables), while also in a way, showing my contempt for such a stupid name for a third console.

In fairness, the console now has two nicknames. The XBone, and the XBox 180, both of which remain apropos. The former because they STILL have the ****ty Kinect function which has no possible reason for being manditorily connected except for piss poor design, forcible content restriction, and crap like commercials that pause when you'e not in front of the tv and actually WATCHING it. Not to mention the idea that being able to "turn off" the Kinect through a software switch is laughable. Which means the PS4 is STILL going to be the military choice of this console generation as the XBone will still not be allowed anywhere civilians aren't

I thought this article was evaluative:  http://www.destructoid.com/an-industry-that-needs-xbox-one-drm-is-a-failed-industry-256643.phtml

It makes sense that certain parts of the industry needs more money to make the games it want's to make, so will just look for another way to make that money for those games.  But as mentioned, as long as they leave Kickstarter, Indie games and Steam alone it's all good for me. 

Having been screwed over by DRM several times I think I can make that self indulgent statement.

Edited by Chippy

I'm pretty strict on not pirating. BUt I don't consider cracking my own ****ing games to be piracy.

I can't do it, but that's because I'm a cyberyokel. Not because I think it's wrong.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm pretty strict on not pirating. BUt I don't consider cracking my own ****ing games to be piracy.

I can't do it, but that's because I'm a cyberyokel. Not because I think it's wrong.

I ended up softmodding my Wii because there was a really kickass mod for Super Smash Brawl which both balanced play and vastly improved the AI. Not to mention all the homemade levels for SMB wii.

Just because it will arse the conversation sideways, but it's just occurred to me that the model for all this is just corporate normality. Corporations and governments are all moving to a full service model. Aren't they? You don't own stuff. You buy in a 'service'.

From this perspective I am buying in a game 'service'.

The thing is accountability. In theory buying a service with agreed levels should make your enjoyment safer. In my experience it ****s it sideways into a lion's ear.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.