GeoGuessr

Tigranes

I got about 10500 on my try, it was pretty cool.  I usually got the country right, the biggest problem was mixing up Texas for California and Norway for some frozen lake in Russia.  Very fun.  Getting the Zimbabwe location correct was my biggest triumph.

I absolutely hate this game. Or actually how people act and brag about their 25000+ scores.

I bet noone would get more than like 10000 points if they were not alone while playing and did not have access to Google.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

6597 here, pretty crappy. Although I really should have spotted the Australia one as it was just like the one previous to that. Seems if it's a desolate landscape it's Nevada or Australia.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've decided to play this with my students, and we are not allowed to use google.  We only use the context clues available and then I take a vote to decide where to put the marker.  It is tying into my age of exploration unit pretty well.

I'm putting each class score up on the board to see who can do the best :)

• Like 1

Closest I got with a completely empty road with one truck on it was 363 kilometers / 2563 points. (France) The road markings tell a lot about the location.  10378 points total. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I absolutely hate this game. Or actually how people act and brag about their 25000+ scores.

I bet noone would get more than like 10000 points if they were not alone while playing and did not have access to Google.

haha, you really are a sore loser aren't you?

I got 5966.. South Africa tricked me twice!

75290002.png

Fortune favors the bald.

Good time waster. Does seem to favour particular places in the games I'm playing.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Australia looks suspiciously like places I've driven past in the US...  I got 9397

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Does anyone else think that this program is broken? I got really close a couple of times but I still scored lower than in any of my other tries. 

And damn you, Australia, some places there totally look like the desert-ish landscape of Utah with the reddish-brown earth and stuff. 

guesser_zps2628ef2a.jpg

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

haha, you really are a sore loser aren't you?

I got 5966.. South Africa tricked me twice!

With friends like this, you would be too:

geo_zps639a3fff.jpg

:getlost:

Hahaha! Best I've managed to get so far is this.

uHkvrtJ.jpg

It's really hard to google for places in Russia. A, C and D all had easily identifiable landmarks either from the starting location or very close by. B was a country road that had a bunch of farmland around it and the images were all washed out.

OK! I'm going to do a Let's Play to show you how it looks for me. I'll post the starting position (untouched) and what clue made me guess.

ROUND 1:

GeoS01_zps9e969ca8.jpg

Oh wow. Good start. It says Kazan on the hotel sign. Maybe Kazachstan? I have no idea, so I guess Russia :p Pointer in the middle of Russia and off we go!

I actually ended up pretty close, but I will not show the results yet.

ROUND 2:

GeoS02_zps0bda6749.jpg

Uh oh. Now it begins. This is usually completely impossible. But.. When I turn around I see the backside of a big sign. I take a few steps towards it and turn around:

GeoS03_zpsfb887bf8.jpg

Aha! I recognize the Thailand flag! Marker in the middle of Thailand and BAM.. I'm off by like 800 kilometers. Wtf. I will not show the results again :p

ROUND 3:

GeoS04_zpsdaf30345.jpg

Nooo. I have NO idea where this is and since Spanish is one of the world's biggest languages, it could be anywhere! Also, the place is full of signs, but they are only of commercial nature. I take a few steps in a random direction.. and spot this:

GeoS05_zps06045b3a.jpg

SUDCALIFORNIA! Aha! I place the marker in the southern parts of the Californian peninsula and I'm very close. Good score. Woo!

ROUND 4:

GeoS06_zpsae779a92.jpg

CRAP! A nondistinct road. At least it is covered in snow so it's probably Canada. It's always ****ing Canada. But.. then I turn around (and cross a bridge):

GeoS07_zpsd3b16387.jpg

Lucky! It's Norway, I know these places! I try to find them on the map, but I only find the lake Engeren. Good enough. Very close, it turns out!

ROUND 5:

GeoS08_zpsd6700fa7.jpg

Nooo, another nondescript road! At least it looks like home so it must be Europe. I again turn around and spot a small sign by the road. I zoom in and:

GeoS09_zps521a3651.jpg

Remlund? Romlund? Something like that. So Norway or Denmark. But Denmark is much greener than ugly Norway so SMACK IN THE MIDDLE OF DENMARK. Surprisingly close!

END RESULT:

GeoS10_zps3f20c8ac.jpg

Omg, of course I absolutely demolish my personal best just as I've written about how people cheat like crazy in this game.. 15999 is my new personal best anyhow.

Beat that if you can :)

I just have to post what a normal game looks like to me:

GeoS11_zpsb97d6d6d.jpg

Yeah, I can't spot the difference between a dusty road in mid-USA and Australia or any dusty road in the middle of Africa..

I noticed your internet connection has a bit to do with it, I could not get very clear images running on my laptop with wifi at work.

One of my classes got really lucky and ended up with the Universal Studios sign for Orlando Florida.  They got 5500 points for that one alone.

You can sort of distinguish between the US and Australia by sensing which side of the road the Googlemobile is on. :sorcerer:\\

EDIT: One and only game, 11837. Three were in interior western US, boo.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

So I decided to make another try and got 10905, the real reason was I recognized I was in Finland on the first picture and got within 50km (by luck) which gave me almost 6000 points. In nr 2, South Africa tricked me yet again.. 3+4 were both indistinct South American places, my only lead was Spanish and jungle.. So it had to be the upper ones.. Wrong, it was Portuguese and in Brazil! damn!! Nr 5 I was determined to beat and when I saw a sign for Ft. Nelson I knew it was somewhere in Canada. Then followed a 20min search on the map hehe. I saw a sign for Whitehorse and I knew that was in British Columbia, unfortunately it was 1500km off.. damn you roadsigns.

Fortune favors the bald.