Board question

Calax

Can we please adjust the board to be easier to manipulate? I'm getting very frustrated having to fight with quote boxes and a tiny reply space just to post. Particularly with magical quote boxes that appear if you hit enter, and won't let you reply beneath them.

And don't tell me to switch to BBCode mode, because that just kills my eyes trying to read anything with dark grey on grey background.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Can we please adjust the board to be easier to manipulate? I'm getting very frustrated having to fight with quote boxes and a tiny reply space just to post. Particularly with magical quote boxes that appear if you hit enter, and won't let you reply beneath them.

And don't tell me to switch to BBCode mode, because that just kills my eyes trying to read anything with dark grey on grey background.

I'm not sure what you're experiencing.  When I quote stuff i get a quote box and a scroll bar on the right and no problem room-wise.  Also the quote box has an arrow on the right that allows me to expand the box.  Perhaps this is a browser issue (or I'm misunderstanding your problem)?

I only use BBCode to clean up quotes (because doing it outside of the code doesn't seem to work right always).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm not sure what you're experiencing.  When I quote stuff i get a quote box and a scroll bar on the right and no problem room-wise.  Also the quote box has an arrow on the right that allows me to expand the box.  Perhaps this is a browser issue (or I'm misunderstanding your problem)?

I only use BBCode to clean up quotes (because doing it outside of the code doesn't seem to work right always).

It's mostly trying to do quote splitting, with the forum software hating anything more than 3 three separate quotes, and being tough to get those separate quotes.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

One problem I have with quoting is if I try to only quote part of a post it removes the quote box.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It's mostly trying to do quote splitting, with the forum software hating anything more than 3 three separate quotes, and being tough to get those separate quotes.

Yeah without switching to the coding, the system doesn't seem to add a space after quotes making it hard to type between multiquotes.

it also seems to be real easy to accidentally delete the quote coding while working on editing a quote if you only want to reply to a part of it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah without switching to the coding, the system doesn't seem to add a space after quotes making it hard to type between multiquotes.

it also seems to be real easy to accidentally delete the quote coding while working on editing a quote if you only want to reply to a part of it.

Try hitting the X2 icon between quotes. Seems to force a half-space/space between multiple (separate) quotes. Why exactly I'm not sure, and how reliable it'll be for that purpose, I don't know. :p

No solution for the weird deletion issues while in default mode tho. I've been keeping it in coding mode 98% of the time since the update, because every time I use the DEL key now, instead of deleting one character at a time, it deletes whole paragraphs instead.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Try hitting the X2 icon between quotes. Seems to force a half-space/space between multiple (separate) quotes. Why exactly I'm not sure, and how reliable it'll be for that purpose, I don't know. :p

No solution for the weird deletion issues while in default mode tho. I've been keeping it in coding mode 98% of the time since the update, because every time I use the DEL key now, instead of deleting one character at a time, it deletes whole paragraphs instead.

Yeah I've had it delete sentences and paragraphs, and sometimes not even in the paragraph I was on.

Problems arising here too.

If I accidentally hit enter one times too many, I don't even bother trying to fix it anymore. I just delete the post and start over. That's a sign of a really badly implemented system.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Okay, so I find if you're a white space freak like myself, where I start finding most of the super bizarre behaviour is when quotes are nested.  Here's an example from Post #9 (Firefox 19.0.2).  It's easy to replicate these if you just quote post #9...

First:

1. Go to the tongue emoticon with your cursor:
  2. Hitting Enter doesn't actually put a carriage return.  Not sure why.  If I hold the "down arrow" on my keyboard, I get erratic and inconsistent movement of the text cursor in the text box.

Second

1. Go to the the line immediately after the emoticon
  2. Hit Enter
  3. Hit Backspace

Third

1. With the quoted block, put your text cursor before the quoted block.  Keep hitting your down arrow
  2. I'd expect to be able to still reach every line, but it seems like it skips over indentation, which is boo-urns.
  3. Alternate way to see how this can get super frustrating, is to hit the enter key just before the "No solution for the weird deletion issues while in default mode tho..." line (to put it in its own quote block.
  4. Hit the down arrow (putting the text cursor just before the "No..."
  5. Hit the up arrow a few times to go the the previous block of text.

Fourth

1. Put your cursor between the following two lines:

2. Start hitting enter, as though you wanted to create some white space between those two blocks of text (as if you wanted to respond to each part of the text, individually.

3. Each carriage return ends up splitting the quote block, until eventually you're at the highest level quote block, which DOES seem to allow you to add whitespace.

Look at this monstrosity I have created! :o

ARGH

Yeah I've had it delete sentences and paragraphs, and sometimes not even in the paragraph I was on.

Now this probably isn't your forum software so properly debugging it on your own might be problematic (i.e. impossible) depending on the software I guess.

As a form of feedback, I would move quote manipulation to a button.  You can easily add a new quote block with minimal issues with the quote button.  Hit it, you get a nested quote block.

Ultimately, because carriage returns lead to unpredicted behaviour, my recommendation would be for the carriage return to simply add a carriage return, and let the user cut into quote blocks with an "end quote" button.  As it stands, I have a lot more flexibility in how I organize my quote blocks if I stick with the ubb like tagging, as so:

Manually created quote here

Another manually created quote

Some carriage returns

Another nested quote

Lets wrap this up now

Alternatively, have the forum software remove nested quotes (HFBoards does this, and frankly in 95% of the cases it's sufficient, especially if quotes automatically have links to the quoted post), as it seems like nested quotes are the primary issue.

I wasn't able to get the delete key to cause any megabadness (it behaved as expected), though my ad-hoc test bed may not properly set up the situation that allows that to happen.

Good luck though, Mr. Guildmaster.  May the code force be with you!

This is a short post to test a board feature.

***This is additional text I edited in later. ... so I'd say for me at least, the Like function doesn't affect my ability to edit. :)

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'll post my request here.

I want to be ablt to track developer posts stalker style.

Yeah, I'd really like to add this feature in. Maybe once I'm done with the backer portal for Eternity I can take a look at that. (Coming soon, seriously! :))

Nice to hear.  I have been requesting the feature almost at every opportunity, too.  It's plain impossible to browse every single thread and, starting from the developers' profiles are not so convenient, either.

Also, if possible, I'd like to see "likes" related options in the search function such as being able to sort by likes.  The boards already have Most Liked Content but how useful is it when I'd like to check out newer posts which people find worth attention?